HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Experts criticize DNR on CWD in WI (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/313108-experts-criticize-dnr-cwd-wi.html)

gunther89 12-21-2009 06:38 PM

Experts criticize DNR on CWD in WI

http://www.channel3000.com/recreatio...51/detail.html

Basically they want more deer shot in the CWD and think shooting deer out of helicopters is the next best way to kill deer. What will they think of next planting bombs in the ground so when a deer is close it blows them up.

Trapper22 12-22-2009 11:05 AM

Isn't CWD in the soil anyway??? So if they want to stop CWD the DNR will need to take over every inch of property, Strip it of all trees, Bring in dozers and earthmovers to strip the first few feet of dirt off the ground. This will save the deer herd. Sounds logical.:bash:

I haven't hunted up around Muscoda or in Richland county for a few years on the public ground because back then (2004?) I made about 8 trips up there and never saw a live deer then. I think that was the time you could shoot 4 deer per day. I doubt it's improved since then with the shoot all you can philosophy.

The DNR will continue to fly over areas that are game preserves or closed to hunting by landowners and claim there are too many deer in an area. They then will announce that the herd must be thinned bringing out hunters that will shoot all the deer they can on land that's open to hunting. This will not help on the property that's closed off and will instead make deer hunting even worse than it already is.

From what I saw a few years ago the CWD scare has ruined hunting on public land in that area anyway and getting permission on private ground is about impossible unless you're a relative or want to fork over a couple hundred bucks for the chance to shoot a deer.

I talked to a guy at gander mountain in Baraboo last week who moved here from MN. He said part of the reason he moved here was because of the deer hunting. He doesn't seem impressed and said he thought MN DNR was bad but they look like stars compared to WI.

One other question if the genuises do shoot deer from helicopters what are they going to do with them? Leave them lay and let the coyotes eat them? They'd be about that intelligent. I hope that scenario isn't going to happen.

mr.mc54 12-22-2009 01:01 PM

In order to understand the DNR, one must first have a degree in their philosophy. I don't know of anything they have tried to do with the DEER herd that was a success?
Do You?

huntingforme 12-31-2009 02:55 PM

Funny how someone on the board that is from Iowa would suggest that we shoot and kill more deer. Is it that he wants a greater portion of the deer hunting income to go to Iowa?

This is none of his business.

TJD 01-02-2010 07:41 AM

And here was one of the nuggets from that study that you gotta love. A possible recommendation as stated by the authors of this study:

But the independent panel recommends a much tougher approach, including the possibility of changing state law.
The panel states the "NRB may want to consider seeking statutory authority that would expedite access to private properties if necessary to enable intensive reduction of deer."
I actually HOPE they try to push that through! First, the legislature is unlikely do it and such a proposal would draw scrutiny to deer management in Wisconsin as a whole. One of the first questions I would ask should that come up is, "How is it that, according to Secretary Frank's own acknowledgement, deer/vehicle accidents and crop damage claims have declined since 2000, but the DNR has insisted that the deer population during that same period has actually RISEN?"

Secondly, such a move would likely require the DNR to PAY the landowner for such access...little constitutional issue called the "takings clause". And if the landowner refused, even if paid...yeah...wanna see this one proposed!

mr.mc54 01-04-2010 05:26 AM

I'd love to see that happen!!! There would be alot of land owners who would vow "over my cold dead body". Come on my property w/o permission and there would be hell to pay. I believe in the constitution and will stop at nothing to up hold it!. This is government at its best.