Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Smith County Kansa >

Smith County Kansa

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Smith County Kansa

Old 12-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Smith County Kansa

Planning a bow hunting trip to Smith County KS in 2010 I live in NY, hunting in my area is big woods. What kind of hunting should I expect?
Old 12-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Spike

All the way from New York to hunt Smith County, KS? If you don't mind how did you choose that?

Give us a little more info to work with here, are you hunting an outfitted hunt, a private farm with no other pressure, or public land? What can you tell us about the farm you are going to be on? What date range are you talking about? Give us this so we can narrow down what to describe.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

There is very little public ground there. CJ
Old 12-14-2009, 03:54 AM
Fork Horn

I found a 7000 acre lot of land that can be rented with lodging I can go either the last week of OCT or the 2nd week of NOV. No outfitter this is DIY hunt. Looking at maps it looks like big fields with creeks beds and very small wood lots around the creeks.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Spike

7,000 acres to yourself? WOW. You are a lucky person. Guess I'd travel for a shot at 7,000 acres to myself also. OK so you have a week. That time of year is going to be pre-frost so be sure you know what poison ivy looks like, dead or alive. The dirt roads won't be frozen either, most of Smith county only has gravel to where houses are, if there isn't a house it's likely to be dirt only. So be ready to walk to the nearest gravel road and park there if necessary (when it rains). Print yourself out maps from mapquest overhead or google maps over head view and take those with you. Don't plan actual stand sites until you get there so you can plan around wind. Wind is the most important thing I can tell you to watch. Next summer call the landowner and see what field they have planted in what crop. The week before you leave call and see what hasn't been harvested yet. In general deer like the bean fields and milo and you'll likely encounter both. If it's CRP be sure to stay in the bottoms.

As long as the landowner isn't pounding the place with hunters you should have a good hunt. Right now the state of Kansas needs money bad and they are really issuing out of state tags freely, and the people who outfit and lease land are "making hay while the sun shines" so to speak and really pounding their land hard with probably more pressure than they should, or at least some are anyway, of course I have no idea who you are working with so don't know for sure in your case.

Good luck you should have a real nice hunt!
Old 12-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry CJ 3006,but you're wrong about Smith County. Tons of Walk In in Smith County. I own a farm in Smith County. The problem is that there is also no shortage of POACHERS! The public land gets ridden constantly,and there is one GW for 500 sq miles.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

I know there is Walk-In. I live here. I was referring to State Owned public land.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

ok got my week booked Nov 5th to Nov 11th, good moon what kind of temps will I be looking at?
Old 03-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Spike

Hey PJ sorry for the slow reply, haven't been paying attention to the internet lately.

The average temp in November along the Kansas Nebraska border is 40 degrees, average high is 50 degrees, average low is 30. The average rainfall for the month is allegedly 1.2 inches, but that sounds low, but what do I know.

Come ready for a good hunt. Drop some money in Smith Center while you are here.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

granitesun
thanks for the reply are you in Smith Center? I am sure I will be droping some money in the area. Any good archery shops around that area, (just planning ahead)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.