Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
WI Whitetail Population >

WI Whitetail Population

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

WI Whitetail Population

Old 12-20-2009, 02:56 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Report it ont he DNR Hot line.

JW
Old 12-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

You think that shooting 5 deer a person is bad, We had a guy shoot 21 deer in 1 year of deer hunting and it was all legal cause in the CWD area you can get 4 free doe tags a day. He didn't shoot all of them by us but that is to many deer to shoot for one person. He was amish and claimed he had brothers, sisters, and cousins that could use the deer.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by yankees13
Just one spot. There are several people poaching.People who do it for fun and other to do it for food. And of course you got the native americans that can shoot 5 deer a person.Thats real fair to the tax payers!!!
Yeah- Lets blame the Indians! You talk like the old market hunters of old. How do you know how many poachers there are doing the bad deeds? Sounds fishy to me. I read a post that blames the amish also, non-sense I say!

The point here is, we have killed too many deer in WI, due to a Natural Resources Dept.'s false deer numbers info. They have flat out lied to the sportsmen and women in this state, and yes we have erred by believing their propaganda.

In CWD areas they have always wanted every deer dead, period.
No deer managing there! Thank God for land owners who manage their own land.

Chew on this-We all are in this together, blaming the indians and Amish is discusting. Forget blaming each other and work together for a solution to this problem (lack of deer).
Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer licenses sold in WI fall 2009:638,040 gun licenses and 204,833 bow licenses.
Almost 850,000 licenses. And people wonder why the herd might be down? Maybe we have too many hunters. I know the NRA/SCI and many hunting shows are saying we don't have enough hunters. You must remember they are all trying to sell something, and don't forget it.
I've said it again and again, you DON'T HAVE TO SHOOT. If you are in an area that you think has low deer numbers then don't shoot, heck don't even buy a license. Get all the guys in your group to do the same for one year. Pitch your license money together and buy a few trail cams so that you can moniter your deer a little better (the camera will last several years, so it is an investment, an unused tag is just a waste).
The DNR can not force you hunt or shoot anything. Just because it's legal to shoot 10 deer, doesn't mean that it is a good idea. Cigarettes are legal but that doesn't mean it is a good idea to smoke them.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Handles
Deer licenses sold in WI fall 2009:638,040 gun licenses and 204,833 bow licenses.
Almost 850,000 licenses. And people wonder why the herd might be down? Maybe we have too many hunters. I know the NRA/SCI and many hunting shows are saying we don't have enough hunters. You must remember they are all trying to sell something, and don't forget it.
I've said it again and again, you DON'T HAVE TO SHOOT. If you are in an area that you think has low deer numbers then don't shoot, heck don't even buy a license. Get all the guys in your group to do the same for one year. Pitch your license money together and buy a few trail cams so that you can moniter your deer a little better (the camera will last several years, so it is an investment, an unused tag is just a waste).
The DNR can not force you hunt or shoot anything. Just because it's legal to shoot 10 deer, doesn't mean that it is a good idea. Cigarettes are legal but that doesn't mean it is a good idea to smoke them.

i really dont think its the number of hunter. the number has actually gone down in the last 10 yrs. 690,194 gun licenses and 185,122 bow licenses were sold in 1999.http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement...eer_report.pdf
thats a total of 875,316.

its the way we hunt. the "if i dont shoot it the next guy will" attitude is the problem. ive done it. now ive got a 13 year old that wants to shoot deer and its hard to tell him not to. maybe someday he'll understand. no we dont have to shoot. but then why go hunting. im not sitting in a stand for my health. im there to shoot a deer. i have past many deer in the last 10 years. but the number of deer i see every year keeps getting fewer and fewer. its very frustrating. considering all the deer i have let go. i personally think it all comes down to money. if there was some way to hit the dnr in the pocket book then they would listen to the hunters. the state makes over $21,000,000 a year in licenses sale. if there was a way to greatly affect that number they would listen then. until then most of us are just giving our money way. and i dont like giving my money away. for the record i hunted with my son this year from the same stand. we saw 3 deer and we shot 2 of them. he shot one i shot one. it was his first deer. one shot, a good quick kill. ive never had so much fun while hunting until that day. ive never seen that kid so excited before. i will NEVER tell someone what to shoot or what not to shoot.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Until you have amish as a neighbor and see first hand what they can do to a deer herd I stand by my statement that they have ruined deer hunting where I hunt.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

I went out for a drive today and saw something that is a factor in the lack of deer. - I saw a deer pole with thirteen antlerless deer still hanging on it.

Now, why would anyone need that many deer and then just leave em' hang there. The thing that really gets me is the DNR has promoted this behavior by handing out unlimited tags for little or nothing. Yeah, no one made them shoot all these deer, it was a uneducated decision made by unethical hunters, in my opinion.

I am calling the local warden and have em' watch to see if the deer are wasted.

So there you have it, unethical hunters, doing the dirty deeds of our DNR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sqezer
The state of Wi. is under such pressure from the insurance co. because of car-deer acciedents, that the DNR is only concerned about cutting the deer herd. The big ( chronic wasting scare ) didn't work to achieve what they wanted. What can we do as hunters, attend the Conservation Congress Hearings in your area and make your voice heard.
I agree. Looking at the chart from the original post I notice that the red zone or the areas that are the highest over goals is the most populated by humans as well. I do not believe that there are more deer in Grant County than there are in Sawyer County. Just more people. It is about money to those that make the laws. Insurance companies spend more money lobbying than nearly any other industry in America. Hence, the urgency for our legislature and DNR to kill deer in areas that have the highest DVC's (deer vehicle crashes).
Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will also agree on the Native american thing, We have some native american res. around my house and they shoot TONS of deer, god father said they hunt wherever they want and kill whatever they want, one indian said he shot 31 deer by the time gun season rolled around, 22 of them were bucks... so whos to blame?!?!?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by wisbowhunter2009
I will also agree on the Native american thing, We have some native american res. around my house and they shoot TONS of deer, god father said they hunt wherever they want and kill whatever they want, one indian said he shot 31 deer by the time gun season rolled around, 22 of them were bucks... so whos to blame?!?!?
"tons of deer?" second hand information? Who's to blame? this is an uneducated post.

First of all, the native Americans, as a general rule respect our natural resources more than any white man. I am a white man who has read and am informed on this subject. Race has nothing to do with violators!! People who violate are greedy and selfish.
The Native Americans were here first and history will back me up on this one, they only take what they need. Sure there are violators of every race, however, we need to be careful not to lump a whole race into the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.