Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
any michigan guys with dnr insight?? >

any michigan guys with dnr insight??

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

any michigan guys with dnr insight??

Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know the resolution....

There should be a penalty to CO's for writing BS tickets and abusing their power, but of course there never is so they will keep doing it when it suits them.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Spike

Well an update. My buddy and my trail got split up. His was last wednesday. He was there for 5 mins and never said a word and the plantiff just said these tickets are being dropped. My trail was today, was written on paper work as non jury trail. Exactly as his was. Upon arriving I see the dnr officer there and think crap to myself. The plaintiff pulled me in the room and said the officer was not dropping the charges do to the fact that I had to walk right past my deer to go back to camp. Even though my deer was 100 yards to the south of my stand, and my camp is directly north of my stand. Plaintiff said well it all just seems fishy that ur gun hunters and u wouldn't just go up to the deer and if it gets up and runs to shoot it again. I said what's being ethical about that?? Not only that but I'm shooting a single shot and not gonna rish that,plus is was almost dark and I'm not gonna shoot after hours. So instead I sat in my tree and watched it thru another tree, all the while its head was up and moving around and ears straight up and its fawn sitting there watvhing her die. I watched it till I could no longer seeing do to it getting dark and then climbed down and walked the OTHER way to camp to give it time. The plaintiff resonds well it just seems fishy, and its ur word verses him. So I have to options, fist plead innocent and have a bench trail right then. Which I was informed nothing ab and was by no means ready. If I win, I'm out. If I lose I face 1500 in restition, and jail time.
Second option, plead guilty, and pay court costs, ticket fee and have 6 months probation.
So I asked the plaintiff what my chances were of winning and he said against this judge, ull loose.

So I had NO options, I'm not a legal person and don't know whaty rights were.

In our first trail, the plaintiff spec said if it is going to be dropped you will get notivication. If not u will be assigned to a jury trail. And seeing my paperweork saying nothing of a jury or traill, and being the exact same as my freinds whose was dropped I was not planningon a trail, or I woulda came with an attonerny and witness. But basically they had me by the balls and can say whatever they want and there right no matter how right we are. So I had to plead guilty as I didn't have a chance at that point.

Just all seems rediculous. That there right and can come up with what ever they want and win. And we as the public have no rights and no say. I am 100 percent not at fault for what he is claiming me off but yet I don't have any rights.

I'm seriously thinking about hanging up my hunting career. I spend over 10k a year on hunting egupiment, tages guns, and take off work from oct 1 till jan 1 just for hunting. And spend everyday of it in the woods atleast a few hours. A day. But crap like this just doesn't make it worth it to me no matter how big of a passion it is.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been following this and sorry man, that really sucks. It is ridiculous getting in trouble for not tagging a deer that IS'NT DEAD YET!
Fact is, most don't know that you did the right thing, and that most of us would have done the same thing.
Was this the same judge as the preliminary court?
Will you lose your hunting rights for next season, or no?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

That really sucks. Sounds like a pretty crappy Judge and DNR officer. The DNR officer sounds like he is trying to rack up as many convictions as possible. There used to be a site out there that dealt was called "ask a Conservation Officer" I think the guy who pushed the site used to talk about it on here. I'd get some other opinions from some other officers. I think youre screwed no matter what though. That really sucks. Good luck with everything.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Spike

I'm not sure on the correct term for the guy that we met with in the preliminary and this time. He is the one that appointed the case to the judge and talked to the dnr officer about matching our story. Madgistrate?!?! Idk, he was the one giving me my options and tellling me I wouldn't win. Where as in our preliminary he said it would prolly be dissmissed. But appearently we as citizens have no rights and government officialls can blately lie to get there way. I wish there was or new of something we could file against the officer put at this point idk what I can do.

As of right now I am allowed to hunt next season. I'm on 6 months probation, so I can't have anything go on my record. If I have something go on my record I will more than likely lose my hunting rights as well as restitution.

Its just really unfortunate. Spec right now I would love nothing more to be in the woods coyote hunting. But being on probation, it scares the crap out of me to even step foot in the woods. If the oficer can do that why not do it again???
Old 01-29-2010, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bowtechpatriot1
I'm not sure on the correct term for the guy that we met with in the preliminary and this time. He is the one that appointed the case to the judge and talked to the dnr officer about matching our story. Madgistrate?!?! Idk, he was the one giving me my options and tellling me I wouldn't win. Where as in our preliminary he said it would prolly be dissmissed. But appearently we as citizens have no rights and government officialls can blately lie to get there way. I wish there was or new of something we could file against the officer put at this point idk what I can do.

As of right now I am allowed to hunt next season. I'm on 6 months probation, so I can't have anything go on my record. If I have something go on my record I will more than likely lose my hunting rights as well as restitution.

Its just really unfortunate. Spec right now I would love nothing more to be in the woods coyote hunting. But being on probation, it scares the crap out of me to even step foot in the woods. If the oficer can do that why not do it again???
I guess it's too late now, but mistake #1 is taking legal advice from the people trying to prosecute you.

It's been awhile since I was involved in a court case in MI but I believe you must request a jury trial and have the right to do so. This would have had to be done at the time it was scheduled to go to trial.