Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
wisconsin deer count >

wisconsin deer count

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

wisconsin deer count

Old 10-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Spike

Default wisconsin deer count

Are government says there are too many deer and we must reduce the herd.
Dont believe it and most hunters dont see the deer they used to.

Finally, i dont trust the government to get anything right.

Dr. J. Lee Anderson
Old 10-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

I agree. Can anyone name one thing the Government has done that has been a success? Other than successful at wasting lots of tax payers money!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

I second that. More tax's and less for it!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

welcome 2 the club
Old 10-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Spike

They are also sucessful in wasting deer in the CWD zones.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Spike

The deer count numbers are way off and have been for quite sometime give me the good years of the mid 1980's through the early 1990's anyday.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know where you guys are all from, but I would rather see more quality bucks rather than shear numbers of deer. I have lived in west central WI all my life and have been blessed with great deer hunting over the years..........as in being over run with does, fawns and small bucks. Not until I started bowhunting Iowa and Illinois did I realize what quailty deer hunting was. Don't get me wrong, my family basicly lives on venison. We shoot and eat at least 5 does a year not including any bucks we might get. I don't really support EAB, but I would like to see a size limit put on the bucks. It works in Mo and is catching on and working in PA. I bowhunt Iowa alot, and in a full day hunt there I might see 7-10 deer and 75% of those are bucks. Why? Because the state keeps there buck to doe ratio in check. Where I live the ratio is so bad, during an evening hunt I'll see 8-12 does and fawns and very seldom a buck. If I do see a buck, he's 2 1/2 years old or less. In the last 5 years I have taken 22 does and no bucks. I saw bucks, but they were all basket 8 points or less. Why is Buffalo county so different than the rest of the state? Because they have taken it upon themselves to manage there deer herd the way it should be.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Northern Wisconsin... I went for a walk through my woods. I had a fresh snow ( four inches the other day ) and I figured I could judge tracks better. The trouble is other then two small (and I mean small) sets of tracks, it was all I saw on the property.

On my usual hunting areas across my property I saw zero rubs, zero scrapes, and the trails leading through the cedar/balsam/alder marsh. The trails in the marsh where in past years would be walked to a mud path, were hardly used.

I talked to locals, neighbors and friends about deer sign on their property. They usually answer, what deer sign? And many of them are not hunting this year. Anyone hunting my property this year will be told... shoot a doe and you never hunt here again!!

Yet the DNR is claiming record deer numbers again. (Just like in past years of course) They are full of you know what. All they are doing is selling license, trying to make money. They have no problem telling lies to Wisconsin Hunters. They've been doing it for years. They want to expand the number of days we can hunt also. Why.. kill more does.

How worried are they about license sales you ask? Well they are allowing children now to hunt. And of course they have to be with an adult. This is so the young person can share a hunting heritage with his/her family they claim. BS alert!!! Where was this concern in past years? They want to sell junior a license, and the DNR wants more hunters in the woods and more deer harvested. And don't forget, then junior can insist that they hunt. That means Dad (or Mom) gets a license also.

When we were young, we always went with Dad and the uncles into the woods. We sat on stands with them. We were taught tracking, sign reading, making drives, and patience. We just did not have a license or shoot anything. And when deer were shot, we carried rifles out, or helped drag so we learned the work aspect of deer hunting. That was and still is hunting heritage.

For the people that claim they have record number of does and bucks in their area, they are lucky. There are other parts of the State that are really dry. And if you keep shooting all the does for the DNR your area will go dry sooner or later. As Dad used to say, go in the barn and shoot all the cows and your calf crop next year stinks...

Big bucks would be better managed through antler point counting. We have private areas up here that have signs posted explaining about point counts. My friend hunts private land where it must be a eight or bigger. I have no problem in that.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

The hunters that were at our meeting with the DNR, about the plan for next year, were overwelmingly against the projected season. The DNR people,still don't get it. You can't keep on shooting every deer out there and have a sustainable resource when the shooting subsides. Why in the world would any one who saw as few of deer last year, want to have all the extra seasons??? I still don't believe the DNR when it comes to counting the herd.

This is not about archery vs. gun or youth hunt against muzzle loader hunt. This is about numbers! Its not about trophy hunting or shooting what ever you consider a trophy. It's about having deer left for our kids and grandchildren to hunt someday. There were many archery hunters who were upset that gun hunters were getting a better deal and muzzle loaders against other hunters. We cannot let this happen(being against each other) We have to fight this fight united.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

I agree. The WI DNR IMO are a bunch of idiots. last year we had one of the worst years in history but they want to extend the season? This year there were 0 bonus tags available where i hunt. Are they completely stupid or is this just about more $$. YOu decide. Either way, bad for hunters.

Just like there are no wolves in wisc right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.