Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Wisconsin Survey Pertaining to Deer Proposals >

Wisconsin Survey Pertaining to Deer Proposals

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Survey Pertaining to Deer Proposals

Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Spike

Default Wisconsin Survey Pertaining to Deer Proposals

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/...r/proposal.htm Here is a link that talks about all of the proposals the WDNR want to install in the 2010 deer seasons. Once reading it click on the Public Comment button and you can fill out a survey and voice your opinions.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

interesting read. I've heard from a dnr member that they're thinking about expanding to 16 days, but the public really resists the idea of changing the current gun season format. And the bowhunters definitely would not like the new proposals either, so I'm not sure who would be happy with the proposals.

Personally I hunt in Buffalo county, where they've had EAB for the past years but there isn't one this year. I'm confused because EAB does get hunters to shoot does, so if they're worried about the population being too high why change out of a EAB unit? Also, from my experiences dealing with local hunters changing to a 16 day gun season starting the second saturday before thanksgiving wouldn't seem to increase the buck harvest (or total harvest for that matter) very much. You're taking away a week of the best bowhunting, where a majority of bucks are taken during the 2 week period leading up to gun season. Gun hunters would definitely more than make up for those deer during the first week of the extended season, but then would be left without buck tags for the rest of the gun season. To me that would decrease the amount of time spent in the woods by these hunters who have already taken their buck. Less people would participate in deer drives, and hunting hours would go down by people who have filled all of their tags or only were looking to fill their buck tag. In my group even if you fill your buck tag, we do drives for the remainder of the week even if personally you might not shoot a buck those days, almost out of respect to the group. (i may have shot my buck, but i am dedicated to helping you fill yours as well) Also I think that with the longer season, people would be less likely to group hunt in thinking that they have a better chance that likely to fill their own buck tag, and it might finish the season unused instead of allowing a fellow party member to group hunt with the tag in the latter parts of the traditional 9 day season.

I apologize for the long post, but this is just my own personal opinion about something that I am obviously passionate about. If you think differently than I do I don't mean to offend anyone it is just my personal opinion.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Spike

Personally, I think that the WDNR is crazy to suggest all of these different seasons. It is quite apparent, through public opinion, that we should be figuring out ways to restore deer populations instead of reducing them. I feel that the majority of the public has lost faith in the WDNR and that landowners will probably end up managing their own deer regardless of what the WDNR makes law. I feel that the WDNR should go back to old management practices to where it is buck only, unless the individual hunter was lucky enough to win the lottery for a doe permit.Much like it was in the mid to late 80's. To have an early T-Zone hunt, A youth hunt, and now a proposed early muzzy hunt,is just stupid. These special seasons will ruin it for the serious bowhunter. With these special seasons, deer become nocternal and weary and more difficult to hunt. After early season bowhunting, there are plenty of deer and bucks left for the serious gunhunter. I just wish that the WDNR would start to listening to public opinion. If they don't, I feel that they are in serious trouble. Remember, how does the WDNR make most of their money? Deer liscense sales.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was very interesting reading.
I hunt around Hayward, WI and we were an EAB area for most of the last 5 years. I don't think I really saw an increase in the antlerless harvest here as may of the hunters shot bucks or didn't shoot a deer at all.
I too am in direct opposition to the expanded special interest hunts (Youth, Oct.\Dec. herd control, Early Muzzel loader). It is my contention that the early start to the general firearm season is a good thing. The archery hunter has had to that point approx. 45 field days to hunt and fill a buck tag. For the firearm only hunter, having to hunt post rut as has been the current practice handi-caps the hunters chances. Being that the archery hunter already has another 30 plus days after the general firearm season to continue to hunt.
However, as to the 16 day season, I am from Minnesota and grew up under that structure. I have found it to be just as effective as the traditional 9 day season here. With the addition of an extra week of time with the group, a less stressful hunt allowing for more time to fill a tag or to help fill the tags of other party members.
IMO, the basis of the WDNR's current season proposal and in place seasons are primarily based on hunter satisfaction instead of sound herd control science.
The system in Minnesota allows for one buck per tag per person every year. With a lottery in place for an either sex permit for the successful applicant. In the past each year that a hunter applied they earned preference points and usualy on or about the third year a hunter received an either sex permit.
The 16 day season antlerless lottery also allows for the expansion or reduction of antlerless tags based upon population goals and current herd density.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by raybird2112
Personally, I think that the WDNR is crazy to suggest all of these different seasons. It is quite apparent, through public opinion, that we should be figuring out ways to restore deer populations instead of reducing them. I feel that the majority of the public has lost faith in the WDNR and that landowners will probably end up managing their own deer regardless of what the WDNR makes law.
Crazy, Yes! Land owners already are locking up their land and it will get worse. The DNR needs to show hunters that they can count and get the numbers wright before they make any changes. Until they do that, land owners and farmers will set their own goals by what they see on their land.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

I filled out the comment thing last night. There is a note in there that all of these new seasons are being proposed as an alternative to EAB. Kind of makes me wonder if they are purposely proposing seasons that would upset alot of people just to gain more support for EAB. 5 day either sex youth season and a 5 day antlerless muzzleloader season in the middle of october? That's just ridiculous, and why not extend the gun season by a week at the END, so it still starts the weekend before Thanksgiving, but runs 2 more weekends thereafter. It would gain much more support from bow hunters that's for sure.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

As being a serious bowhunter...I respect gun hunters. But it just really upsets me that it seems every other weekend there is guns going off like crazy. And i also really agree upon the pressure. With all the pressure it really does put some of the big whitetail deer in the nocturnal stage. They're smart they know what gun shots mean. This in turn makes seeing these bucks bow hunting even less likely.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Spike

Sconny hunter-- you can't be serious about your comment about the youth hunting season, come on kids are the backbone of the future. I agree with you on the early antlerless OCT. and and late season Dec. but with the kids I draw the line. I look forward next year to taking my daughter out who is turning 10 this may to hunt. I have already shot does with her and she loves it and so does my son who is 6.

One thing to everyone, what is the difference if you have goose fields all around the woods you hunt or deer hunters in the woods, everytime I sit in my stand I hear gun shoots. They don't know if your hunting them or geese.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can not believe the intelligence level of these guys. Right after the 2008 gun-deer season, they stated that they wanted to raise the number of deer, but now they want more seasons.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by roundhead
Sconny hunter-- you can't be serious about your comment about the youth hunting season, come on kids are the backbone of the future..... snipped...

I absolutley meant that. The youth are the back bone of this activity, you are correct. Though you and I didn't have the youth only hunts, we started during the normal season just like everyone else.

Why should it be any different for the youth of today?

The stand alone 16 day season can manage the deer herd quite adaquately, with the proper seasonal modifications (antlerless permits).

There is absolutely NO REASON to expand\coninue (IMO) the youth only season. I as a parent will not hesitate to take my two daughters with me during the normal season when they get old enough. Why should they get a special season of their own?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.