Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Illinois DNR land question >

Illinois DNR land question

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois DNR land question

Old 08-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default Illinois DNR land question

Last year i leased property in warren county-nice piece of land but due to money/economy issues i just cant swing it this year. I have done EXTENSIVE research on public land thru ill. dnr website. Ive compared past harvest data sheets, read descriptions on every piece of huntable public land in the state, google earthed certain pieces that looked good, etc. I have done my homework for sure-so please dont think i am lazy and lookin for free answers. Its just data sheets,statistics and maps dont tell the whole story-and when ive called specific site superintendants there info on hunting is not too helpful. I want to know from actuall guys who bowhunt/live in illinois which pieces of dnr land they would reccomed. I will be hunting either the last week of october thru the first week in november or the first two weeks of november,depending on weather,timing of rut,etc. I sit all day and am not afraid to hike away from the parking areas. I am only shooting at a 145 or better. I do not need to see 20 deer a day either, so please dont suggest an area where i can just "shoot any" deer. I know this will be a challenge but i am determined and confident. I am anxious to see if any of the pieces you guys reccomend match my choices. Ive tried to think out of the box and not go with the highest kill # sites in hopes to decrease other hunter interactions. Thank you in advance for your help-I will make a new thread another day about the sites ive chosen and what you think of those.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Have you looked at some of the Army Corps of Engineers right of way on the Mississippi river downstream from the Quad-Cities? There are some small patches here and there that probably dont get much pressure because few folks know about them.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Have you looked at some of the Army Corps of Engineers right of way on the Mississippi river downstream from the Quad-Cities? There are some small patches here and there that probably dont get much pressure because few folks know about them.
are you referring to the COE land bordering the Horseshoe Lake S.P. unit (Gabaret,Mosenthein, and Chouteau islands) across from St. Louis? There were several that looked promising south of that -Monroe and Randolph counties. Fort de Chartres, Fort Kaskaskia, Peabody River King, etc.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

I did look at that COE land if that was the one you were referring to. Aerial photos looked pretty good there. Low harvest #s-67 deer taken on 3200+acres. Also bow only which to me is a plus.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm talking a lot further north, up in Rock Island and Mercer Counties. But there are other places along the Mississipi river where the corps has a right of way and often allows hunting. Sometimes it is a very narrow strip that few people know about. I was thinking about that since you mentioned have a lease up near there.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Ok-no i didnt see that one up there. I only saw the other COE land I mentioned. I really dont care if i stay in that area-I will hunt anywhere in the state. I dont live in Warren County-just leased land there. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive heard mixed things about those Mississippi river pools. If you put in your work and have a canoe Ive heard of some big deer taken out of there. RH160, have you ever thought about Shawnee National Forest down in S. Illinois? 240,000 acres and Ive heard of some big deer taken out of there. I know a guy last year got a nice deer out of there, but he had to walk in a good mile and when he got the deer it was a 6 hr drag out. You won't find any harvest numbers out of there, but if you do your research, you may find some more info.

I actually do a lot of my scouting the same way. Google maps in my life savior for property that I can't scout. Not that Im lazy, I just can't afford to drive 5 hours sometimes to check out land.

I'll message you a couple other public land areas if your interested in heading that far south. I don't know where your located or how far you want to go but I'll do my best to help you out. Let me know. Good Luck!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
Ive heard mixed things about those Mississippi river pools. If you put in your work and have a canoe Ive heard of some big deer taken out of there. RH160, have you ever thought about Shawnee National Forest down in S. Illinois? 240,000 acres and Ive heard of some big deer taken out of there. I know a guy last year got a nice deer out of there, but he had to walk in a good mile and when he got the deer it was a 6 hr drag out. You won't find any harvest numbers out of there, but if you do your research, you may find some more info.

I actually do a lot of my scouting the same way. Google maps in my life savior for property that I can't scout. Not that Im lazy, I just can't afford to drive 5 hours sometimes to check out land.

I'll message you a couple other public land areas if your interested in heading that far south. I don't know where your located or how far you want to go but I'll do my best to help you out. Let me know. Good Luck!
PM sent-thanx man for the suggestions