Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
What do ya think about the use of scopes on muzzle loaders in WI. >

What do ya think about the use of scopes on muzzle loaders in WI.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

What do ya think about the use of scopes on muzzle loaders in WI.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Typical Buck

Unhappy What do ya think about the use of scopes on muzzle loaders in WI.

I think that the whole principle of using a muzzle loader is out of wack. The reason I hunt with one was the primative nature ie; ball and patch. Now we have the inline rifle that can shoot out to ranges of the modern rifle. Too each his own, but the whole principle of hunting with a primative weapon is lost.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Spike

I don't have a problem with scopes on muzzleloaders, or inlines for that matter. Although there has been a lot of advances made with bullets, sabots, and powder, its still only one shot, and the velocities are still usually below that of a hot shotgun slug. You still have to hit what you're aiming at the first time. The new bullets, etc really don't help you reload much faster, if at all. As far as the scopes go, if you don't like it, don't use it. I think hunters spend too much time worrying about what everyone else is doing, and not enough time promoting the sport in general. Too much bickering over details. I think the scopes help those of us with less than perfect eyesight. just my opinion.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Spike

A scope would look a little funny on this baby........,,,

A real Muzzleloader, home made 40 cal PA longrifle, swamped barrel, flint. A tack driver out to 50 yards with my lousey eye sight.
"no offence ment to the inliners"
Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

That is what I use. I bought a kit thirty years ago, only mine is a 50 cal. Nice Rifle you have there!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

I use Ml's a lot an with my ol eyesight I would be very happy to use one, The deer have been chased for 3 months by archer's and rifle shooters but after that you can only use a 1X scope, what are you afraid of. I do use an in-line (White) but with conicals. I also go to Co. an have to use a peep but thats Ok because its limited but in the rut.
Redclub
Old 08-24-2009, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
I think that the whole principle of using a muzzle loader is out of wack. The reason I hunt with one was the primative nature ie; ball and patch. Now we have the inline rifle that can shoot out to ranges of the modern rifle. Too each his own, but the whole principle of hunting with a primative weapon is lost.
I agree 100%....
Old 08-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

You cant use scopes on ML in WI during the ML season here. You can use a scope on a ML in WI during the regular gun season though.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
You cant use scopes on ML in WI during the ML season here. You can use a scope on a ML in WI during the regular gun season though.
Understood, but it appears that may change in 2010.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

To each his own. If you want open sights - have at it. If someone wants to use a scope - whatever.

Ya know ther might be someone that doesn't have the best sight anymore and a scope is right for them.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
there might be someone that doesn't have the best sight anymore and a scope is right for them.
No doubt-Im not trying to get a debate going here, but to me it seems technology is changing the whole meaning of using a primative weapon in the first place. Thats my opinion-right -wrong-or otherwise!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.