Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Kansas early season muzzleloader?(Updated) >

Kansas early season muzzleloader?(Updated)

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Kansas early season muzzleloader?(Updated)

Old 07-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Spike

Default Kansas early season muzzleloader?(Updated)

Anyone here have any experience huntin Kansas during the early muzzleloader season? I've been invited to travel from Alabama with a friend to hunt on private land of his family. The land is located in the north central part of the state around Concordia. I have no idea of what to expect so I'm just trying to get a little info? What are the temps generally this time of year (late Sep.), what type of terrain, how's deer movement, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by PRB_Hunter; 09-30-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't/can't go, let me be the first to volunteer to take your place.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are going to a very good part of the state. I have never hunted up there but i hear the deer up there are really nice. As for weather chances are it will be warm 80's-90's but then again it could be in the 60's.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

They'll move late in the day. I killed a 164" 15 point during the early muzzleloader season 2 years ago. The bucks were stilled bunched up and the one I shot was with 14 other bucks. Talk about fun!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Oh......and watch the uncut milo fields....they're usually into that during that time of year.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:43 PM
MRA
Spike

Im about 30 minutes from concordia. I do a little bit of outfitting in my area. I dont have too many muzzle loader hunts because the weather is so unpredictable. About the only time to catch them is in the evenings, unless theres a weather change. But the best thing is to have somebody like the landowner pattern them and let you guys know where to be looking for them. Good luck
Old 08-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt within 30 minutes of Concordia,and this should be a really good year. Lots of 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old bucks last year. The best part about Muzzelloader season is that if you're unsuccessful,you can come back in December for the regular gun season. Only catch is..... you have to use your muzzleloader. BTW,scopes are now legal on your front loader....Best of luck!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

I'm 15 min. NorthWest of Concordia and can tell you that its usually 90 degrees. The last few years we have had a rain during the early muzzleloader season cooling things off into the 70's for a day or so, but back up to the 90's before season is over. This time of year, you should concentrate on soybean fields early and late in the day and water sources and shady areas in the middle of the day. What direction from Con are you hunting? The Republican river running Northwest tends to hold a bunch of deer and has a lot of crop ground on either side. Bring a cooler as its too hot to hang the deer unless you can get it to Duis meat processing quickly after harvest. I butcher my own, so that time of year I immediately quarter the deer and pack in ice. Hope this helps. CJ
Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice so far guys! Actually the property we will be hunting is a few miles south-southeast of the town of Glasco. From the looks of it on Google Earth it looks to be large agricultural fields divided by small woodlots along the creeks. I've never hunted an area with so little timber so this should be a challenge! Any advice for hunting this type of terrain will be helpful I am kind of discouraged about the temps? I have access to private ground in Northern Missouri , and we usually make a trip there for an archery hunt about the 2nd week of October. We've never had temps in the 90's. Last year the first day was warm but only in the upper 70's. After that we got a strong cold front and the temps dropped into the upper 30's at night with highs in the upper 50's to low 60's. But even with the warm temps the first day I took a 145" 10 pt so I guess I shouldn't be too discouraged. However, there is a big difference between 75-80 and 90 degrees! Once again, thanks for the help and any more advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Spike

I am 30 minutes from Glasco. Early muzzle can difficult because of the heat. Bring a Thermacell. My trail cam pics on a camera I have next to a creek crossing I am getting a lot of does come through around noon. No bucks though. They are still pretty nocturnal right now. Like the guy said earlier a lot of them are probably in corn and milo fields. If you can find some double crop beans you might catch them feeding in them. Good luck. There is a steak house in the town of Clifton with cheap drinks and good steaks. They have some pretty impressive mounts on the wall that are fun to look at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.