Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Any Missouri hunters here? >

Any Missouri hunters here?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Any Missouri hunters here?

Old 07-17-2009, 03:15 PM

Default Any Missouri hunters here?

Hi,

I live in the St. Charles county area near St. Louis. My son and I are going to try bow and rifle hunting for the first time. We don't know anyone yet to hunt private land so we will be hunting on public land. I would appreciate some tips on where to hunt. I can't wait for bow season!

Regards,

Pale
Old 07-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

I live in michigan but my dad lives in saleom. I went bow hunting for first time last season. just start riding around out in the country and knock on some doors. the worst they can say is no. but where to hunt? cant tell you that this will be my secound season there. still trying to figure patterns in diff. spots.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Paleoldman
Hi,

I live in the St. Charles county area near St. Louis. My son and I are going to try bow and rifle hunting for the first time. We don't know anyone yet to hunt private land so we will be hunting on public land. I would appreciate some tips on where to hunt. I can't wait for bow season!

Regards,

Pale

I live on the other side of the state near KC, so I can't help ya on location, but here's the MDC's website. http://mdc.mo.gov/ check them out. Also go to any mdc education loacation, I'm sure there are some in your area, check the website, and there you can purchase maps and atlas's that show mdc areas, and what is open to what kind of hunting. I got one, and it is a valuable tool in my hunting truck. PM sent.

Last edited by Mastevt; 07-19-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:35 PM

Pale, I'm in the STL area as well. I do most of my hunting on private land in N. MO & out of state, but occasionally hit the public land with my bow. The MO dept. of conservation has some great land. In fact, two areas within 30 minutes you should check out are the islands - Howell Island near Chesterfield and Dresser Island north of town. The key is to get to where other hunters won't. I've even used a mountain bike to ride in. Be prepared for company during rifle season!

Here is a link to the MDC Atlas page where you can search conservation areas by county and activity.
http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/...st&txtAreaNm=s

Good luck, get that boy in the woods!
APE
Old 07-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Spike

Hey pale,
I live in Cewntral Missouri, and my house is on the lake of the ozarks. I have many hunting properties and leases i use, and 300 acres of the most prime-time hunting lands in the state( In my opinion) If you need ANY help what so ever, send me an Instant message.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by osagematt
Hey pale,
I live in Cewntral Missouri, and my house is on the lake of the ozarks. I have many hunting properties and leases i use, and 300 acres of the most prime-time hunting lands in the state( In my opinion) If you need ANY help what so ever, send me an Instant message.

Thanks Matt I will do that. I appreciate the help!

Pale
Old 07-20-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ape25
Pale, I'm in the STL area as well. I do most of my hunting on private land in N. MO & out of state, but occasionally hit the public land with my bow. The MO dept. of conservation has some great land. In fact, two areas within 30 minutes you should check out are the islands - Howell Island near Chesterfield and Dresser Island north of town. The key is to get to where other hunters won't. I've even used a mountain bike to ride in. Be prepared for company during rifle season!

Here is a link to the MDC Atlas page where you can search conservation areas by county and activity.
http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/...st&txtAreaNm=s

Good luck, get that boy in the woods!
APE

Ape,

Thanks for the tips that is what I need. I will look up Dresser Island and Howell is very close to me. I don't have a boat but I think the river may be down enough to get to Howell. Thanks for the link!

Pale
Old 07-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ranger6
I live in michigan but my dad lives in saleom. I went bow hunting for first time last season. just start riding around out in the country and knock on some doors. the worst they can say is no. but where to hunt? cant tell you that this will be my secound season there. still trying to figure patterns in diff. spots.
Ranger,

Thanks for the help. If I see a house on some good land I may knock on the door. So much land now is in the hands of absentee owners it is tough to get permission. Good luck on your season!

Pale
Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mastevt
I live on the other side of the state near KC, so I can't help ya on location, but here's the MDC's website. http://mdc.mo.gov/ check them out. Also go to any mdc education loacation, I'm sure there are some in your area, check the website, and there you can purchase maps and atlas's that show mdc areas, and what is open to what kind of hunting. I got one, and it is a valuable tool in my hunting truck. PM sent.

Mastev,

Great advice! I didn't know you could get maps at mdc.

Pale
Old 07-20-2009, 01:54 PM

Hey Pale, I had another thought - look at joining a club like St Louis bowhunters. You can meet other archers and may find some private land to hunt (I'd invite you but I am a guest myself). They have an indoor range and they usually have world-class archers around willing to offer pointers. They also sponsor youth archers if relevant to the age of your son.

www.geocities.com/stlbowhunter/

Good luck!

APE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.