HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Phez hunting @ Bong Rec. Area (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/294192-phez-hunting-bong-rec-area.html)

Vizsla Vince 05-15-2009 07:12 PM

Phez hunting @ Bong Rec. Area

Who's been there? What's the drill? Do you walk up? It looks like they release ALOT of birds there. Is it usually pretty crowded? Is there enough room to spread out or is everybody tripping over eachother?

karabiner 05-23-2009 04:25 PM

RE: Phez hunting @ Bong Rec. Area

I stopped hunting there several years ago due to the hoards of weekend hunters and a very bad situation (friend's dog got shot). If you wait till after opening hours or weekdays though, I'm sure it's not bad at all. It's over 1000 acres, so there's plenty of room to spread out after the opening rush into the fields. The daily fee is cheap although the nonres license isn't. I do go there in summer though to do my dog training (dog training permit about $15 and doesn't require a hunting license; can buy birds at Rice farms near Bong). The cover can get thick, but generally manageable. Be careful you don't accidently walk into the wildlife refuge areas though, fine was very hefty. PS. I've got 2 Vizslas myself.

Vizsla Vince 05-25-2009 06:03 PM

That's kinda what I figured about the weekenders, particularly so close to Il, what with all us F.I.P.s. I finally convinced my brother-in-law to let me grouse hunt on his deer property this season, so I'll have the license anyway...
Sorry to hear about your buddy's dog. I can totally see how that would sour you to the place, & all the more reason to avoid the crowds.

peakrut 06-03-2009 12:08 AM

It is no good please if you are smart stay in IL. lol

Vizsla Vince 06-05-2009 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Are you saying this to keep another FIP off your turf?

janesburg 06-05-2009 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Vizsla Vince

I think you mean FIB;)

Vizsla Vince 06-06-2009 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: janesburg

ORIGINAL: Vizsla Vince

I think you mean FIB;)
You're right... It's the Indiana folks who call us FIPs!

Matchbook454 06-07-2009 04:16 PM

I used to hunt there years ago since some hunting buddies of mine lived close to Bong. We'd meet up in the morning and go out there to hunt. It was convenient, and cheap however on a couple occasions we had problems with the backwoods types that hunt out there. I now have enough private land to hunt on in IL and WI not to need to hunt public land anymore. Even if I didn't I doubt that I would want to hunt birds with my dogs on public land (too many yahoos).