Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 COMING SOON, Elk hunting in Wisconsin! >

COMING SOON, Elk hunting in Wisconsin!

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

COMING SOON, Elk hunting in Wisconsin!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: COMING SOON, Elk hunting in Wisconsin!

I believe Mich is another state that would like to supplement there elk herd and are being held back for the same reason's WI. and Tenn. are. CWD and concerns about transporting diseased animals. Wisconsin's first 25 elk came from Mich. and the plan was to get more from Mich. in 2002. The chances of getting CWD infected elk from Mich is much higher than getting elk from Elk Island Nation Park, which is why WI decided to scrap the 2002 plan and look else where.

The new live CWD test, and advances in research should help loose the noose on transporting elk for all states wanting to bring new genetics and numbers to there elk herds. Remember, Mich. started out with only 7 elk. The odds that 7 elk has gotten Mich. and WI started is quite remarkable. I don't know much about Mich. but I would assume that more will be done to up the odds of drawing tags once transportation bans are lifted and CWD research starts paying off. Hang in there, I think things will get better for the whole Great Lakes Region in the near future.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

CWD isn't much of an issue in Michigan, yet. The main concern with our elk is the main herd is in out TB zone. We've a real problem in the NE corner of the lower peninsula. It got so bad, that coyotes and even coons are dying from it. We're getting it under control now though, and I don't remember ever hearing of any elk being infected.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Knowing the way this State works, I just can not see elk hunting for a long time. Wolves are not under control and are getting worse, yet we are not allowed to harm them. And the chance of Joe Average Hunter drawing a tag... dream on. Still I hope it happens.

The elk are impressive to see. I stopped along Hwy GG south ofClam Lake over by Loretta one early evening and watched a beautiful bull elk standing off the road calling. It was late fall and you could see the steam coming off his nose and mouth. There was only one cow I could see back in the brush, but it was really well worth the drive.

I will venture to guess that they will "re-count" and discover there are not as many as they suspected and kill the idea of a season.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

The elk are impressive to see. I stopped along Hwy GG south ofClam Lake over by Loretta one early evening and watched a beautiful bull elk standing off the road calling. It was late fall and you could see the steam coming off his nose and mouth. There was only one cow I could see back in the brush, but it was really well worth the drive.
Cayugad, This is awesome, thanks for sharing.

But Cayugad,
Have some faith. First you mention the wolves. Yes, the wolves if left unchecked will be a problem, but they are not going unchecked. The DNR wants there to be around 350 wolves. Last year when the wolves were delisted for a couple of months, our DNR went right to work and were able to kill 37 wolves before the wolves were put back on the endangered list. That was a big effort and a lot of wolves for that short time. Now that the wolves are off the endanger species list again, we can expect the DNR to get back to work and bring the wolf numbers down to the goal level of 350. Quite honestly, the bear population is a bigger threat to the elk than the wolves, which is why the DNR issued 6000 more bear tags for this 2009 bear season. It's been the deer population that has suffered because of too many predators and lack of elk. With out supplementing our elk herd, deer tags in the north woods will soon be as tough to draw as elk tags. For the 2009 deer season, there are already too many deer tags issued in some areas, it is as important as ever that we get the elk herd going. Not only for elk hunting, but to help deer hunting as well.

Your second point, also valid, is the average Joe not able to draw a tag. Although it would be nice to add 5000 elk all at once, adding a large number all at once isn't practical, but once we get the 50 elk from Elk Island National Park, it opens the door for supplementing the elk herd a little at a time each year which will reduce the time the average Joe takes to draw a tag. The first elk hunting season will bring in money, the more hunters pitching in money to draw a tag, the more money can be put back into getting more elk, restoring more habitat and educating the public about elk in Wisconsin. Even though the first 5 years will only provide the average hunter a slim chance to hunt, the money raised will guarantee a better future for hunters, deer, bears, wolves, the entire food chain and economy of the north woods.

I went to my first RMEF Banquet this spring in Freemont WI. Not one of the bigger RMEF chapters in this state, yet there were around 300 people who attended. Between the meal and rafles, I'd gues they raised between $15,000- $20,000 at this 1 banquet in one night! This was only 1 of about 50 or more chapter banquets in our state. That's a lot of money raised and a lot of support with very little publicity. It's that support that has gotten the elk program this far and it is this support that will guarantee that there will always be an elk herd in WI.. As far as not having enough elk to start the first hunting season, if we don't get the EINP elk, there has been talk about starting the first season before the herd reaches 200 because the bull to cow ratio is real good, the Clam Lake herd has plenty of bulls. RMEF has already spent over $5 million in Wisconsin and we're not going away! You can continue to sit back and watch, or you can join in and help, it's going to get done, just a matter of getting support to get it done faster.

Knowing how this state works, when it comes to elk, WE ARE the state. If our elected leaders can not get the job done, then it's up to us. Hunters proved we can make a difference last April 15th. Take $35 from your taxes and give it to RMEF as a sure way of telling the state that elk WILL be a part of Wisconsin's future.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I've watched the Clam Lake herd grow from when they were first planted. Every year the paper would tell how many young were born, I remember when the herd was very very small. We would see the elk sometimes on snowmobile trails when out riding (and they do not move for you, you move for them).

Also I watched the wolf numbers skyrocket. All the time the wolf numbers increased, the DNR always played it down. Now they are everywhere. Go for a walk in the woods and all you see is wolf tracks. They also told us at a meeting that the wolf packs had little impact on the deer herd numbers. That was the reason for all the doe tags. Well now they have plenty of wolves, and no deer in the area. So I guess the wolves will have to eat them precious elk.

The bear population has really declined in my area. I used to see several bear on average in and around my house.One year I had two bear that visited my berry patch every day until they ate every single berry. Now I see NONE. While that's OK with me, I do kind of miss seeing them. They are a magnificent creature to see in the woods.

There is also supposed to be a small herd of elk north of 77 near Clam Lake, back in the Chequamegon. Its a small group I guess, but the bull is something to see I was told.

I kind of hope they do have a season someday. It will be something we will talk about for years, that elk are hunted in Wisconsin again. The DNR sure has watched that herd over the years. They even posted signs in one area that warned of Lyme Deer Tick study area. There is asmall herd back there. As for the ticks, they are every where.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Due to a combination of reasons, the north woods isn't in very good shape. As mentioned, the wolf population did skyrocket but that's not the DNR's fault. The DNR has said all along that the goal is 350 wolves and the max capacity is around 500. Because of Federal Law, up until recently, all the DNR could do is count the wolves. When they got the green light to kill wolves, they did. Now they have the green light again, they'll kill some more.

The bear count is something that needs to be figured out. Last year the DNR went from a bear population estimate of 13,000 bears to over 40,000 bears. Much like deer estimates, it's pretty hard to manage wildlife with out accurate numbers and one of those 2 numbers has to be wrong. Many bears are being seen further south and east than before and it makes sense that were there are no deer, there will soon be no bears or wolves. Proof that a food chain of deer, bears, wolves and humans doesn't work. The scientists and biologists knew the forest couldn't support enough deer to support a peaking bear population and a peaking wolf population and still have deer hunting. That's why the first 25 elk were brought in. 2002 We were supposed to bring more elk in, that didn't happen and now we have this mess.

The DNR has a huge job to do. For the most part, they do a good job but they also make mistakes. It takes hunters like you and me to keep an eye on things and set them straight when things go wrong. The April 15th hearing is a great example of hunters speaking up and getting things changed. It took dozens of hunting groups like RMEF banding together to fight to get wolves off the endangered list. We still have fighting to do and adjustments to make, there is no manual on how to rebuild a working food chain, if there is, mother nature isn't reading it. For anyone who's paying attention up in the north woods, it should be pretty obvious that the food chain of deer, hunters bears and wolves doesn't work. The changes made from the April hearing are good changes but will they be enough? Some places we shouldn't hunt deer at all this year. There is no quick fix, if we do nothing, we could loose everything. Deer, bears, wolves and elk. What needs to be done is pretty obvious.

We need to save the deer by lowering the predators and cutting back on hunting. We need to lower the wolf and bear populations so that the deer and elk can grow together and as they grow and stabilize, we can bring the numbers of bears and wolves back up enough to keep wolves off the endangered list and eventually improve on the 9 year waiting list for bear tags. The first step with bears is to get an accurate count. At some point soon, a wolf season has to be developed that can accurately keep the wolf pop around 350-500.

I've been watching the elk via the DNR internet and media for years, I'm an avid bow and gun deer hunter, I have accumulated 5 bear points, and have been following what's going on in the north woods for some time. Last year was the most discouraging year that I can remember. Still no elk to supplement the herd, no 2nd herd in Black River Falls, wolves put back on the endangered list, '07 and '08 were my worst deer hunting years ever, all my predictions about deer, wolves and bears up north have become truth. What I didn't predict was that the DNR would miss count the deer by so much, so the deer are in even worse shape sooner than I predicted. The biologists back in 1995 were absolutely correct saying that this food chain with out elk would collapse. Well, it's collapsing! We can fix it now or later. The longer we wait, the more damage will be done, the longer it will take for everything to recover. What I see this year so far is encouraging. A new Live CWD test being worked on and showing a lot of promise, WI hunters coming out in force to protect the deer herd, progress being made on getting the EINP elk trucked in, errors in the SAK and deer estimates have been found and are being corrected, the DNR issueing more bear tags for this season, wolves being delisted and the DNR's written wolf management plan is finally getting started, all very good indications that things are starting to head in the right dirrection. To make sure we keep heading in the right dirrection, we need to speak up. If the DNR is wrong about the bear numbers in your area, speak up. If they are wrong about anything in your area, speak up. If you believe like I do that we need elk, speak up. If there are not enough deer, speak up and don't kill the last one please. The government and DNR work for us, how do they do there jobs if we don't tell them what to do?

As the biologists were seeing the first bears and wolves return to Wisconsin years ago, we are now seeing the mountain lions trickling into our state. Another reason to get the elk reintroduction plan back on track and reason enough for me to want to reintroduce bison also. If we are to set another place at the table for mountain lions, we need more food for the table. In 1995, when choosing elk for reintroduction, they studied all of the possibilities and bison came up #2 after elk. I think we should dust off that research, take the DNR's fenced in Bison herd, put GPS collars on them, turn them loose and see what happens. Cougars or not, now we are talking a real food chain and and awesome hunting future. The DNR wasn't meant to farm bison, DNR land shouldn't be fenced in, the DNR shouldn't be in the business of selling wild bison to domestic farmers. Those are our bison, sell the damn fence to the farmers and turn the bison loose where they can take care of themselves. At worst, they all die and we no longer have to spend money on them. We can go to a private farm and go see bison behind fences. At best, they multiply and contribute to the food chain and economy as a major renewable natural resource. Think about it, how awesome would that be? Give me a good excuse why not. Car crashes? We've got airbags. We need jobs. Cars need fixing, roads need work to be more wildlife friendly, meat needs butchering, hides need tanning, I know lots of taxidermists, gun and bow shops, hotels and campgrounds that could all use a boost that elk and bison could provide. The only way to find out for sure, is to go ahead and do it. We've got a lot more to gain than loose. I'm sick of loosing and it's time to do something about it.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Wack, I see you came to Fremont thats where I live, I see by your profile you are 102 years oldOh well if you think Wi.will ever have a wolf season it ain't gonna happen. The DNR says we have 1.1 million deer and they want it down to 750'000. The DNR says the winter wasn't too bad, well 3rd snowiest on record.
Don't forget the bobcats and Fishers which are taking a huge no.of fawns. DNR says fawns are way down, well they are right on something. Last year was the worst hunting sign in Northern Wi. that I have ever seen and I have been hunting up there since "52". Lots of grouse tho but no rabbits Seems like coyotes bobcats and fishers are eating those too. When I was up there hunting grouse there were very few deer trails and no rubbings scrapes. This year its going to be tougher yet. Some area's up there have 8 deer per sq. mile (thats 16 40's) It will take 20 years before it can recover if ever
Redclub
Old 05-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Redclub, no I'm not 102 years old, I'm 43. lol I'm very aware of what you are saying about the DNR's goals and numbers. The food chain of deer, bears, wolves and hunters isn't working and I agree that it's going to take time for the deer population to recover. I agree with almost everything you said, except that there will never be a wolf season.

I'd bet you my lunch money that the DNR will start killing wolves this year if they haven't started already. The first wolves to go will probably be the wolves that the Dept. of Ag want gone as problem wolves. As I have yet to see anything in Black and white about an actual wolf season, we must get involved and push to develop a wolf season structure. The best idea I've herd on this is a season structured much like our sturgeon season, with the season ending with a set kill number. Another idea I had for the 2009 season is to convert deer tags that have been sold already into bear and wolf points and open up a spring bear season and a wolf season early in 2010. This is just an idea that I have passed on to the DNR and if more people get behind this idea, it could happen. This would help protect the last 8 deer per square mile and bring down the bear and wolf populations where needed the most. I would give 1/2 bear point for a doe tag and another 1/2 point for a buck tag on tags the DNR has already sold for deer we don't have.

Everything that Redclub says, backs up what I am saying, without adding elk it may take 20 years for the deer herd to recover, IF it ever recovers. The only way I can see the deer herd recovering is to add the elk, lower the bear population and wolf population and seriously limit deer hunting in these areas. I would also add bison as well, but that's just me. We are where we are and there is no majic wand that can undo what's been done. We can only pick up the pieces and move on. Whether that means the end of hunting in northern WI. or rebuilding the food chain so it can work properly is up to us. We can sit back and hope the DNR does all the right things, or we can work with the DNR to help them get this mess straigtened out. We saw on April 15th that educated hunters can make a difference when they speak up but getting rid of EAB isn't going to be enough to save the deer herd. We must keep up the pressure and move on to the problems at hand. The biggest problem is our man made food chain doesn't work as is and needs to be fixed.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

The problem the DNR faces with the people that live in Northern Wisconsinis creditability. Any thing they say, is doubted, and taken with a grain of salt.In fact after the deer herd decimation up here, I have just lost all faith in the DNR to do anything.

If and when an elk hunt is offered, I know I with my luck.. I would be better off going out west to hunt them. (which I intend to do). Think of the odds of being selected for a Wisconsin elk hunt. How much you want a bet the DNR will have a fee that they get to keep of course, just to even enter the lottery for the draw.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wack
As the biologists were seeing the first bears and wolves return to Wisconsin years ago, we are now seeing the mountain lions trickling into our state. Another reason to get the elk reintroduction plan back on track and reason enough for me to want to reintroduce bison also. If we are to set another place at the table for mountain lions, we need more food for the table. In 1995, when choosing elk for reintroduction, they studied all of the possibilities and bison came up #2 after elk. I think we should dust off that research, take the DNR's fenced in Bison herd, put GPS collars on them, turn them loose and see what happens. Cougars or not, now we are talking a real food chain and and awesome hunting future. The DNR wasn't meant to farm bison, DNR land shouldn't be fenced in, the DNR shouldn't be in the business of selling wild bison to domestic farmers. Those are our bison, sell the damn fence to the farmers and turn the bison loose where they can take care of themselves. At worst, they all die and we no longer have to spend money on them. We can go to a private farm and go see bison behind fences. At best, they multiply and contribute to the food chain and economy as a major renewable natural resource. Think about it, how awesome would that be? Give me a good excuse why not. Car crashes? We've got airbags. We need jobs. Cars need fixing, roads need work to be more wildlife friendly, meat needs butchering, hides need tanning, I know lots of taxidermists, gun and bow shops, hotels and campgrounds that could all use a boost that elk and bison could provide. The only way to find out for sure, is to go ahead and do it. We've got a lot more to gain than loose. I'm sick of loosing and it's time to do something about it.

You want Bison in WI????????? Now you're dreamin. I'd like some, of what you're on!Maybe we can come up with a mastadon or perhaps a wooly mamoth. Back to reality now-If the DNR would manage what we have, most sportsmen would be happy. I can see a herd of Elk to look at, but for there to be enough numbers to hunt, that is far fetched at best. We can manage the wolves as many do now, shoot,shovel,and shut up! As for the big kitty's,The three S'SSS will work also. The DNR should allow the hunters to control the bear population and know what the numbers reallyare.

"We got airbags, creation of jobs through car crashes??" You should run for President!!!

Quick Reply: COMING SOON, Elk hunting in Wisconsin!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.