HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   looks like i'll be poaching in iowa this year (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/293129-looks-like-ill-poaching-iowa-year.html)

trt sniper 04-30-2009 06:36 PM

looks like i'll be poaching in iowa this year

just kidding!!!:Dbut are you kidding. they raised nonresident fees again this year. it now costs right at $550 for a tag. thats silly

sjsfire 05-01-2009 07:33 AM

RE: looks like i'll be poaching in iowa this year

Well, I live in Illinois and always will hunt here. I think it's a crime what Iowa, Illinois, and other states charge non residents. They want tourism?? I think deer hunting brings in just as muchmoney once you figure tags/permits and the what the hunters spend on gas, food, and what not. Just my opinion......

salukipv1 05-01-2009 09:51 AM

I know quite a few IL guys goto Iowa to hunt whitetails...

$550 even sounds high to me for a non-res deer tag!

I think iowa is growing in popularity as a destination state, and with less deer tags to go around, I assume they have to limit them somehow, last I heard a non-res will draw Iowa every other year...whereas I know in IL if a non-res applies, they get a tag.

Champlain Islander 05-01-2009 09:52 AM

It is getting out of control and one of these days the tag fees will get to the point where they start to really lose hunters. I almost gag when I fork over 550 bucks (it was 500 just 3 years ago) for an elk tag in Co. but to pay almost that much for a deer tag in the mid west....come on

wis_rifle_hunter 05-01-2009 01:09 PM

i heard they even raised the resident tags too. $550 for a tag is outrageous! here in wisconsin a nonresident tag is $160

Redclub 05-02-2009 05:07 AM

ORIGINAL: wis_rifle_hunter

i heard they even raised the resident tags too. $550 for a tag is outrageous! here in wisconsin a nonresident tag is $160
Yep and no appling either, Quality land to hunt can be hard tho. But I bet thats the same in most states. Wi has tons of public land in Northern Wi. but deer herd is way down up there, however you can chase ruffed grouse in your spare time lots of those ,plus fishing can be great.
RC

bemidjihunter 05-02-2009 10:30 AM

Go one state north and it's $140 for a non-resident tag. That's rediculous.

rab123 05-03-2009 07:33 AM

ive been planning a public land hunt toiowa,but the fee increase is a deal breaker for me.im just not going to pay that much.thats 200 more than illinois.that 200 will pay for my share of lodging and gas money.so,i will keep making a trip to illinois every year,until i can no longer afford that.

wis_rifle_hunter 05-03-2009 04:46 PM

theres quite a bit here in the southern part of wisconsin too. i hunt in southwest wisconsin and there is some great bucks here. thank you farm land:D

ORIGINAL: Redclub

ORIGINAL: wis_rifle_hunter

Yep and no appling either, Quality land to hunt can be hard tho. But I bet thats the same in most states. Wi has tons of public land in Northern Wi. but deer herd is way down up there, however you can chase ruffed grouse in your spare time lots of those ,plus fishing can be great.
RC

schooter 05-04-2009 01:51 AM

i have seen more deerthis spring then i saw all of last year combine. has anybody else seen this two.