Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 looks like i'll be poaching in iowa this year >

looks like i'll be poaching in iowa this year

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

looks like i'll be poaching in iowa this year

Old 06-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: looks like i'll be poaching in iowa this year

ORIGINAL: midwestxpress

Iowa is only hurting their own. My buddy runs a small operation and has numerous people cancelling their hunts. They picked a bad time to up license fees with the economy and all. When my group goes out to Iowa, we dump alot of money into the local economy. Walmart, food joints, hotels, carwash, grocery stores, sportshops, fuel. Whats funny is they raised the licenses midstream, I paid less the first week of May, than my buddy paid the last week they were onsale. This could be our last year, unless I become a resident for 30 consecutive days before Nov.1 ! I have a problem with Nicks comments also, but I no longer entertain that kind of b.s. There are jackasses everywhere Nick. In my state and yours.
Sorry midwwest, as of July 1st it becomes 90 days.

Taken from the IDNR site:

DES MOINES - Beginning July 1, the minimum requirement to claim Iowa as a state of residence will increase from 30 consecutive days where Iowa is the principle and primary residence, to 90 consecutive days, before someone may purchase a resident hunting, fishing or trapping privilege.
The new residency requirements were approved during the 2009 legislative session and signed by Iowa Governor Chet Culver. It becomes effective July 1.

The new residency rule also specifically excludes people from claiming residency for a special or temporary purpose which includes engaging in hunting, fishing or trapping.

Owning land in Iowa, having an Iowa driver's license or registering a vehicle or to vote does not mean a person is an Iowa resident.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:11 PM

I too was shocked to see the increase in fees. I was planning a hunt for my 40th birthday in 2010 and logged in to purchase a 3rd preference point but couldn't do it - principal won out. I previously purchased preference points in 07 and 08.

Can someone tell mewhat happens to those?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Kingfish, I did the exact thing you did. I got a preference point last year but could not do it this year on principle. They are getting out of control as far as how much they are gouging non-residents. I hope no non-residents get license and permits for that state. See how they like losing out on all the money into their system. They can keep their permits for all I care
Old 06-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

racksnbeards thanks for the heads up, looks like some guys actually tried this.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Thats the idea, Iowa doesn't want non-residents for deer hunting. My wife is from Iowa and her Dad owns some land but I don't even try to get a permit. Pheasant hunting is good tho
Redclub
Old 06-16-2009, 04:15 AM
Fork Horn

A lot of states are jacking their fees up, but with Iowa, the fees were already too exspensive. They gotaccustomed to the money they were already getting and when they(had) to raise fees for extra funds like other states the permits and licenses have gotten out of my and other hunter price range. I bet you will see other states with lower fees and somewhat somewhat similar deer quality get a lot more attention. I knowthey will from me.The one's that will suffer from all of these increases infees will be the businesses that depend on out of state hunters in the fall and winter.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Doubt it will happen, but it would be funny (for the DNR)if NO non-residents applied and theywere out all of that money. Just feel sorry for all the local business that will suffer. They are already hurting in alot of areas because their pheasant hunting has gone down the drain. If things stay the same with the drawing odds, a bow tag will cost: 2 points @$50 each plus the $560 for a tag= $660 dollars for a deer. Just can't get over how they think people can afford thator will pay that for a deer.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe this is how Obama plans to pay for healthcare plan.