Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Stolen Deer Stand >

Stolen Deer Stand

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Stolen Deer Stand

Old 04-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Spike

Default Stolen Deer Stand

Went out to my stand the other day in kenosha county to check and get a soil sample for a hunting plot and low and behold my stand was stolen. Just switched the tree pegs to a ladder from Gander Mountain last season. Not to mention the coward cut the branch that the stand was chained to with a master padlock on it. What a sorry excuse for a human being. Thanks alot A-HOLE, your a jerk and a piece of $HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Stolen Deer Stand

I think alot of hunters have been there. I know I have had stands stolen and it really makes you angry. I found that even the best of locks or cables don'tdeter these thieven idiots. Is this on your land? Sometimes neighboring land owners have been known to take down a stand if they think you are too close to their property line, this is not an excuse though. I have a neighbor that tries to stop the deer from going through a nice funnel area by building a pile of brush on the property line. He has done this since he bought the land, but the deer still go through there, and we still get the biggest bucks. I love to hunt this area and see him looking in disbelief when the deer find a way through his obstacle course.

Put up a camera by your next stand, maybe you can catch him!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mr.mc54

I think alot of hunters have been there. I know I have had stands stolen and it really makes you angry. I found that even the best of locks or cables don'tdeter these thieven idiots. Is this on your land? Sometimes neighboring land owners have been known to take down a stand if they think you are too close to their property line, this is not an excuse though. I have a neighbor that tries to stop the deer from going through a nice funnel area by building a pile of brush on the property line. He has done this since he bought the land, but the deer still go through there, and we still get the biggest bucks. I love to hunt this area and see him looking in disbelief when the deer find a way through his obstacle course.

Put up a camera by your next stand, maybe you can catch him!
Or loose a camera too. LOL

Down on the farm (S. IL) we leave all the stands out all year. There's plenty so if someone heists 1 or 2 or 3 there are still more. I wouldn't be the happiest guy if it did happen but I know it could because most aren't locked (just the pricey store bought ones).
Old 04-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been there done that. I don't leave mine up past season. If they want it they will get it. It just sucks that thieves are hunters too why else would they want it. I lost 1 stand and 1 trail cam to date. It doesn't get any easier to accept.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've said it before, I remain mystifiedas towhy someone would put the effort and risk into stealing something as big and unwielding as a stand considering their value relative to other things that could be taken.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

I took a guys stand, one time It was on my ground. First week of season, I left a note for him to get it back, but the coward never called me. I know the guy, so it's not like he did'nt know who took it. I've seen him in the bars, but I never said anything to him, nice stand, just sitting in my garage,,,
Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Seems like a good reason to build a permanent stand, if its your property and a permanent hunting spot.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Spike

The property isn't mine and I've been hunting there for 8 plus years. Noone else has permission to hunt it but me and my buddy. They left his stand but took his ladder down, his stand was alot a older. It is just b-s that someone would do this. As far a building a permanent I can't so what I have done is purchased a lone wolf climber, took out my stihl chainsaw and limbed the tree about 30 high, this way when I hunt I'll just pack it in there, it is only about 1/4 mile hike and I can use the exercise.

Whatever the world is full of A-holes and this is just another example.

I had a deer camera out there last year, I'm not putting it out there anymore.

The neighbor adjoining the property I know prettygood so Ihighly dought it was him. Well, the climber is the way to go I think on this one anyone have any other input.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have had several stands stolen and it is really a bad deal, its not like we all just have another 8--200 dollars around to just replace them all the time. I would love to catch someone doing that sometime and get the warden involved. Plus my uncles have had guys in their portables, which law says that they pretty much can, but ethics says otherwise and unfortunealty there is a small percentage of the population of even hunters that just aren't worth the time of day.
Sorry to hear about your stand theft.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe they have it already, or maybe I'm giving away an invention here, but can they not develop a gps beacon etc...along with a gps unit that you could stick to your stand etc... and when they move they'll have a signal you could track with a gps unit etc...?

Something the size of a watch battery etc...or like a dime you could stick inside some square tubing etc...

Then call the police and track down where your stands went...

Quick Reply: Stolen Deer Stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.