Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!! >

EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!!

ORIGINAL: TJD

Here is a question:

For those units that had been traditionally "shotgun only" - which were allowed to use rifles for the first time in 2008 - will we be able to continue to use rifles in the 2009 season?
I had not heard anything even brought up on that issue, but I would guess that you probably could still use rifles. From what I have seen in the past, the shotgun vs. rifle argument always seems to be focused (for good reason) on safety issues as opposed to ease of harvest. We used to have a shotgun-only restriction in the Mississippi River Block opening weekend...I know when they went to allowing rifles all season the only thing I remember being brought up when it was discussed was related to the possiblity of increased firearms accidents.
There were no incidents that I am aware of anywhere within areas that were traditionally "slug gun" counties!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TSR6
There were no incidents that I am aware of anywhere within areas that were traditionally "slug gun" counties!
In the conservation congress meeting I attended, the safety question was asked and the DNR rep said there is noreason that rifles are more of a safety concern than shotguns. They are looking at this issue from the safetystandpoint and there is no evidence to prove other-wise.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:39 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

In the conservation congress meeting I attended, the safety question was asked and the DNR rep said there is noreason that rifles are more of a safety concern than shotguns. They are looking at this issue from the safetystandpoint and there is no evidence to prove other-wise.
I would agree...though I remember asking one of the DNR guys at a hearing years ago why they thought it was perfectly fine to use rifles to fill crop damage tags (starting around Labor Day), while hunters were in the woods wearing camo. I framed it this way..."Why is it I have to wear blaze orange during gun season so that other hunters can see me, but I can wear camo during bow season while someone is trying to fill crop damage tags with rifles?" You should have seen the blank stare I got on that one...