Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!! >

EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!!

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!!

The DNR says the deer herd is over a million (including CWD) and they want it down to 734,000 Hmmm,why then no EAB, if the dnr would count deer the same way they count wolves and bears we would only have 400000 or so
RC
Old 04-22-2009, 08:11 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

The news today is that EAB is probably dead for good. Like I have said before, I did not have as big a problem with EAB as with the October hunts...but apparently some in the Legislature were getting so much heat the DNR was finally forced to listen to deer hunters.

Finally!....
Old 04-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

EAB dead for good? I highly doubt it unless of course that the hunters can show that they are willing to harvest doe at a 1:1, 2:1 ratio of bucks, which they won't. Buck harvest next year will be higher statewide than doe harvest. 1 1/2 year old bucks will make up the majority of that. Too many"BigBuck Hunters"without the self control and foresight to helpthemselves or others.
Our deer herd is much more balanced than it has been since the 60's. I hope you landowners can put in place some regulations to help keep it that way. It might create some sourpusses to say "Hey joe, you shot a nice buck last year, this year we need you to shoot a doe", but it is what should happen. I feel sorry for public land hunters. They will have a banner year this year on bucks, but not much after that... Good luck everyone. Keep your wits.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

It's about effing time. Perhaps the decision was influenced by the lack of deer killed last year.I don't know guys, I still don't think I'll come home to hunt this year.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:52 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

EAB dead for good? I highly doubt it unless of course that the hunters can show that they are willing to harvest doe at a 1:1, 2:1 ratio of bucks, which they won't.
Below is a link to a pretty good story about the decision. It appears that the legislature was ready to abolish EAB by statute if necessary. The quote below sort of sums it up:

"George Meyer, executive director of the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, warned the board if they didn't make a move, it was inevitable lawmakers would take over and do away with earn-a-buck through legislation. Frank agreed, saying lawmakers were "looking over our shoulder.""

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/43450177.html?page=1&c=y

Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TJD
Below is a link to a pretty good story about the decision. It appears that the legislature was ready to abolish EAB by statute if necessary. The quote below sort of sums it up:

"George Meyer, executive director of the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, warned the board if they didn't make a move, it was inevitable lawmakers would take over and do away with earn-a-buck through legislation. Frank agreed, saying lawmakers were "looking over our shoulder.""
Imagine that, the good old DNR, a little nervous? Well they aughta be! Maybe the DNR will realize that they must answer to the people in the long run. Hunters have had enough of their management. Some on this site have said that trying to change the DNR's bungling ways is impossible. I guess all the hunters work has paid off.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

i have a ? for all of you. where in wisconsin do you all live
Old 04-27-2009, 01:37 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

I hunt in Unit 61...Trempealeau County
Old 04-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Here is a question:

For those units that had been traditionally "shotgun only" - which were allowed to use rifles for the first time in 2008 - will we be able to continue to use rifles in the 2009 season?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

Here is a question:

For those units that had been traditionally "shotgun only" - which were allowed to use rifles for the first time in 2008 - will we be able to continue to use rifles in the 2009 season?
I had not heard anything even brought up on that issue, but I would guess that you probably could still use rifles. From what I have seen in the past, the shotgun vs. rifle argument always seems to be focused (for good reason) on safety issues as opposed to ease of harvest. We used to have a shotgun-only restriction in the Mississippi River Block opening weekend...I know when they went to allowing rifles all season the only thing I remember being brought up when it was discussed was related to the possiblity of increased firearms accidents.

Quick Reply: EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.