Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!! >

EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!!

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:15 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default RE: EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!!

It is as important as ever to go to the next meeting and follow through with a good showing. Great news though.
Yes the meetings are still important. I am actually surprised the DNR relented on the EAB issue as soon as they did. I have heard that a bunch of state assembly members and state senators have caught an earful from hunters and others (hotel owners, bar owners, and other establishments that rely on hunting season for a good portion of their revenues) and apparently started making it known to the DNR that they had to change their approach or else...

I don't know for sure if that is true, but I have heard it from a pretty reliable source. Either way, I give credit to the DNR for listening.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

This is definately great news, but who's to say that they won't start any new ideas. With all the rumors of the majority of the bow season being doe only, and the DNR still saying that the herd is above goal, I will have to wait until the next season to decide whether or not the DNR is actually doing a good thing. However, removing EAB is a step in the right direction.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

Yes this is true, they were at our meetings and as deer hunters themselves, they wanted changes made.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are on the track to getting things back to normal, now to get rid of HRZ's and well all be set.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back to 15:1 doe:buck ratio. Yes!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Your Back?..... I've really been missin ya! See ya have'nt changed though.

EAB was voted down and the changes to the bow season were also voted down due to extreme hunter participation. Everone who attended the meetings and wrote to their reps. I thank you and hope we can change the way things were going. I and other sports men and women have said it before and say it again, we all need to get involved.

It is far from over though!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:49 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Back to 15:1 doe:buck ratio. Yes!
Why of course...it only stands to reason that no hunters will shoot does now, and that landowners are too stupid to know that herd balance is in their interest too. No, we need the all-knowing wisdom of the DNR who missed the population estimates this past year by...oh, at least 20%.

Yep, without the meddling of the DNR, the deer herd is doomed.

Right. Got it.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know if the question was raised before, but at our conservation congress meeting, the question was asked; How many of the fawns taken last year during T-Zone, EAB, were buck fawns?
The answer was, 45%. Now, does EAB help the deer herd? Your answer to the 15:1 smart a$$ remark Handles lies somewhere in this answer by a biologist for the DNR. There have been guy's who say, I never shoot BB's, however alot of them bit the dust last year. Clear proof that EAB & T-zone Don't work. BB's need to grow up for there to be Big Bucks. And another thing that sticks in my craw is the AG tag program where does,bucks(w-out horns) and many fawns yet to be born are shot from Feb. thru sept. This also needs to be addressed.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why would herd balance be in the interest of a landowner? It wasn't 20 years ago.30 deer eat virtually the same amount of crops weather they are bucks or does.
If the landowner is a hunter, or leases/rents his/her property, then yes they might have a interest in it.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

Why would herd balance be in the interest of a landowner? It wasn't 20 years ago.30 deer eat virtually the same amount of crops weather they are bucks or does.
If the landowner is a hunter, or leases/rents his/her property, then yes they might have a interest in it.
I see two issues there.

First, as far as what happened "20 years ago", go no further than the restrictive process for getting antlerless permits the DNR had as little as 10 years ago to see how this supposed problem started. If you recall you had to apply for an antlerless tag, and then the DNR would inform you if you qualified, then you plunked down another $12 for the permit itself. Two steps. How's that for convenience? Or the good old "Hunters Choice" process? You had to apply to get a sticker to affix to your license...again for a fee...to have the privledge of being able to shoot a doe with your regular tag.It sure did not seem that the DNR wanted to make it easy for hunters to harvest does. But then suddenly...about face!...it's a "crisis" and along comes t-zones and EAB.

Second, if the oft-repeated DNR line that the increase in trophy hunting is one of the "problems" faced by deer managers, then managing the herd for quality means taking enough does, not too few. And as for farmers...yes, 30 deer will eat what 30 deer eat, regardless of sex. But: 1) farmers certainly have enough reason to shoot sufficient deer to reduce crop damage, and 2) if the herd is unbalanced and there are more does than bucks in an area, there will be more does than bucks shot.

Either way, another year of the DNR tryig to cram EAB down the throats of hunters, when all evidence is that the herd is far lower than thought, would lead to an even worse issue: loss of hunters and loss of harvest.

Bottom line is what DNR Secretary Matt Frank stated at the legislative hearings last week"

"We are listening," said Frank, responding to criticism that the DNR is arrogant and unresponsive to the public. "Simply put, we cannot manage and maintain a sustainable and healthy deer herd without the support of hunters."

Quick Reply: EAB dead in Wisconsin for 2009!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.