Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Question about what I came across in woods.... >

Question about what I came across in woods....

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Question about what I came across in woods....

Old 04-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Question about what I came across in woods....

Mountain Lions could put 20 miles away really quickly. Also, Look at the bones, if they were eating there should be marks on the bones. On coyote kill sites there are always some chew marks on the bones. Just a thought that you could check out.
-Jake
Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mountain lion or coyote would be my guess.. When I dump deer carcasses in the woods after butchering, they are always dragged by coyotes to the same spot in the middle of my buddies pasture. We throw them back in the thick stuff, and the next day, there they are again. Since then, we have changed our procedure because no matter what, the coyotes would continue to add to their "collection". I find it odd that coyotes drag their food into open areas instead of secluded areas, but this is not the first time I've seen this behavior. At a friends in south central indiana, the coyotes do the same thing. The field will be scattered with deer carcasses in the winter. I've even followed a "drag trail" where the coyotes have dragged deer over 1/4 mile into an open field to eat. Strange.. Im interested in anyone's thoughts on why they do this. This sounds like the opposite of what you found..A "collection" in a thicket.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowmanaj

Mountain lion or coyote would be my guess.. When I dump deer carcasses in the woods after butchering, they are always dragged by coyotes to the same spot in the middle of my buddies pasture. We throw them back in the thick stuff, and the next day, there they are again. Since then, we have changed our procedure because no matter what, the coyotes would continue to add to their "collection". I find it odd that coyotes drag their food into open areas instead of secluded areas, but this is not the first time I've seen this behavior. At a friends in south central indiana, the coyotes do the same thing. The field will be scattered with deer carcasses in the winter. I've even followed a "drag trail" where the coyotes have dragged deer over 1/4 mile into an open field to eat. Strange.. Im interested in anyone's thoughts on why they do this. This sounds like the opposite of what you found..A "collection" in a thicket.
Coyotes like to feed in the open so that they can see and smell any danger that might be approaching.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

One other REMOTE possibility is lightning. I realize that is a stretch but its not unheard of. The fact that it was a buck with antlers and was with two does, makes me assume it had to happen in late Sept-Oct when lightning is not as common, but in my area, lightning can occur any month. If this is the case it could be possible a tree that was struck can still be identified, maybe not I've seen lightning do some strange things. Livestock, especially cattle get struck and killed fairly often, I have first hand experience with this. Those deer could have been bedded there, got struck , and the critters feeding on the carcasses could have created the opening. Just my guess, I would not rule out Mountain lion either.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

that sounds like a great place to put a trail camera... If you had wolves, I would suspect this might be a rookery site where pups are raised and kills are dragged back to the area for feeding. Mountain lions do hide their kills also, but I was not aware they returned them to the same spot (from what I have read). Also because of the size of the deer, coyotes could do it if they brought them back in pieces.

If you ever get back around there look for hair on branches and such. But that really is interesting. I think I would mention this area to your local game wardens and see what they suggest.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:10 AM
Spike

That is very puzzling. You would think that if it was a mountain lion there would not be such a big opening, but who knows. I do not necessarily believe in bigfoot, but I watch monsterquest on the History Channel and they did talk about finding "nests" in thickets that they thought were used by bigfoot.

My best guess though would be a mountain lion. I live in southwest MN and someone saw a mountain lion go through the land that I deer hunt. I never saw the cat or tracks, but I talked to a guy who traps there and he told me that he found cat tracks down by the creek. I definately do not think that a coyote would do that. I have heard of people digging up coyote dens and finding as many at 75 fawn skeletons inside of it, but that was an underground den.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

Sounds like maybe that is where they go to lie down when wounded.Just another guess.
Thats what I was thinking as soon as I read the post. I hunt an area that is surrounded by many 40 to 60 acre parcels that are hunted pretty hard. There is a pretty thick area that is quite small on one of the parcels that seems to always have a dead deer or two every year after the season is over. For the most part we can tell that they were wounded and just looked for the thickest area possible to hole up. 2 wounded bucks in the last 4 years were found in this spot after the season ended, both shot by neighboring land owners that lost blolod trails. They worked hard to find the deer so racks were given to the shooters. I think that would be a great spot for a trail camera this off season.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bkniowa

hey me again..thanks for the responses...I just got back from taking another look and didnt find any tracks or any sign of what could of done this. Did not see any signs of a den or anything of that sort. The mountain lion suggestion is interesting..I looked up so info on them and they do cache their kills..I have heard rumors of people seeing them in this area but at least 20 miles from where I found this. This part of Iowa is mainly wide open farm ground but we happen to own roughly 200 acres of woods in the area and thats where I found this..So I guess if there was a cat around it could hang up there for a while. I also walked through an 80 acre woods that connects with the one where the bone pile was found and saw 6 dead turkeys..I dont think this means much though. I have a cuddyback camera and plan on putting that up around that cache of bones in hopes of catching a glimpse of the culprit. If I find out anything I let you guys know..thanks
I live in Palo Alto County, Iowa, and we have seen 1 cougar. I know in Kossuth, they have seen several sightings. How far are you away?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a cat's work to me...however, I don't think there is much of a documented mountain lion pop in Iowa. I found a similar thing in Minnesota this year, however, only one deer from whatI could tell, however, this had coyote tracks around it, never found the "kill" site, this looked like just a spot they dragged off food to eat in peace.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Its probably a bedding area... Deer, especially wounded ones often die where they bed.

Quick Reply: Question about what I came across in woods....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.