HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Preliminary 2009 Wisconsin Deer Season Structure (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/288923-preliminary-2009-wisconsin-deer-season-structure.html)

1sagittarius 03-18-2009 05:32 PM

RE: Preliminary 2009 Wisconsin Deer Season Structure

Nothing wrong with EAB
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp32/bridgebait/cropped8pt.jpg

hunt91 03-18-2009 07:44 PM

every hunter in wisconsin says that the populations are too low. really, the fact is that they are right where they should be for a healthy deer herd. im not happy about the EAB either but we wouldnt have this problem if some people would practice good herdsmanship. unfourtunatly haveing EAB is the only way some people will take does and keep the population in check.

Trapper22 03-19-2009 12:16 AM

So 1saagattarius in your way of thinking there never have been bucks like the one you're showing shot in WI before EAB. Interesting, I know of several large bucks that were taken way before EAB was ever implemented. Fact of the matter is morebucks have been getting to that size or largerall along without EAB. It can be tracked to several factors. QDM has been put into play in several areas, food sources, more land being blocked to openhunting by people with leases or urban sprawl.

To say that EAB is the sole reason for more large deer being harvested isa flat out lieat best. It may make a diffeence in some areas but not most.

Big bucks didn't get that way by EAB. A lot of them got that size by avoiding people and finding the best hiding spot or going where no one can go after them. A lot of them are harvested when they do make an error and come out at the wrong time in the wrong spot.

I guess the Jordan buck never should have been. He didn't have to shoot a doe first.

mr.mc54 03-19-2009 07:59 AM

Go Gettem Trapper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't give EAB credit for Big bucks. All EAB does is pi** off hunters. Some people just don't get it, big bucks come from letting little bucks grow up. Tell me how many nubbies get slaughtered when EAB is in a deer unit. These same dummies who like EAB, shoot any-thing with-out horns and say they like EAB. There is no way you can shoot antlerless deer and not mistake a nubbie, when you are in a hurry to get an antlerless deer-(so you can shoot a buck). Let hunters do the managing and counting and everything will be just fine. I think it is nonsense to say, that if allowed, hunters wouldn't take enough Does. I know how many deer are on my land and We always take mature Does to keep numbers in check.
To blame hunters for not doing their part in HERDSMANSHIP, as you call it, is LOON-ISY

BIG BUCKS COME FROM LETTING LITTLE BUCKS GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BowHuntingFool 03-19-2009 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: mr.mc54

Go Gettem Trapper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't give EAB credit for Big bucks. All EAB does is pi** off hunters. Some people just don't get it, big bucks come from letting little bucks grow up. Tell me how many nubbies get slaughtered when EAB is in a deer unit. These same dummies who like EAB, shoot any-thing with-out horns and say they like EAB. There is no way you can shoot antlerless deer and not mistake a nubbie, when you are in a hurry to get an antlerless deer-(so you can shoot a buck). Let hunters do the managing and counting and everything will be just fine. I think it is nonsense to say, that if allowed, hunters wouldn't take enough Does. I know how many deer are on my land and We always take mature Does to keep numbers in check.
To blame hunters for not doing their part in HERDSMANSHIP, as you call it, is LOON-ISY

BIG BUCKS COME FROM LETTING LITTLE BUCKS GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wanna bet...;) I passed several button bucks this season BECAUSE I can identify a deer in the woods. Just because you cannot tell the difference, don't assume the rest of us can't!;)

Dummies???? Speaking of growing up....Name calling now thats mature.:eek: [:'(] Good luck this season.

Trapper22 03-19-2009 12:28 PM

I'll flat out tell you right now before an accusation starts that a person like me doesn't like EAB because I will only shoot a buck. WRONG, I usually take the first adult size deer to come by me. I actually eat the meat, I just don't process it and let it freezer burn then throw it out or go drop it in a ditch after registering it.

I don't have the luxury of seeing a lot of deer in my units 73D and 74B. If I get too choosy I'll wind up not getting a shot all year. I also will add I prefer to shoot a buck because I don't see that many deer. See above where that was already said. Most yearsI've only had one opportunity to shoot a deer all year. If I wind up having a buck walk out and can't shoot it because I haven't earned a sticker I'm not going to be happy. There's a good chance that may be the only opportunity I'll get to harvest a deer. I had a dry spell in the90s and know there were years I didn't get a deer.

I'm not a horn hunter or a choosy hunter on deer hornsize. I'm happy to get one a year. I only take what I'll use and feel that's the way it should be. With that being said in thearea that I hunt according to the DNR we have too many deer. That's total BS if that was the case I'd see as many deer as I did back in the mid 1980s at the start of my hunting career. I don't see anywhere near those numbers. The land that I hunt is not QDM everyone is a deer hunter not a shopper. If you have a large tract of land in an area I can see where the QDM would work and all the hunters would abide by it. I hunt alone but am freinds withsome of the guys huntingon that land. Not enough to implement a QDM systemand I already know it wouldn't be something that would go over there.I'd say the success rate in that area over the last several years has been 50%-60%. I know most of the guys hunting in that immediate area. I don't know of any group being on a rampage to shoot everything because they have tags. Yet we don't see the big numbers that are supposedly there.

EAB is not well received in my area because people flat out aren't seeing the deer numbers period. The DNR thinks everyone has the opportunity to just walk out in the woods and shoot a doe any day of the week andthat's not the case. I hunted the early antlerless season last fall for all 4 days. Total deer seen 3, number of does seen 0!!! It sounds like an overpopulation of does doesn't it? And the DNR wants to kill more does to control the herd,what a frickin joke.

mr.mc54 03-19-2009 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFoolquote]
Wanna bet...;) I passed several button bucks this season BECAUSE I can identify a deer in the woods. Just because you cannot tell the difference, don't assume the rest of us can't!;)

Dummies???? Speaking of growing up....Name calling now thats mature.:eek: [:'(] Good luck this season.
Are you saying that you know that nubbies don't make up a large portion of the antlerless deer taken in EAB zones????
How many car killed deer (antlerless) do you guess are tagged for the EAB (buck tag). I would say that you are a liar if you can say that you can see the nubs on a running antlerless deer! :DThat my friend is how so many are mistaken for small does in areas where EAB rules apply. Maybe you only stand hunt and don't shoot at running deer, however you would be in the minority. Many late buck fawns havn't even crested the hair over their nubs by deer season. Maybe next deer season watch what is registered in an EAB unit, You will be shocked to see at least 25% nubbies.I have done it and I know what was shot in our area alone. Maybe then you will see everyone is not an eagle eye as you must be!! From my experience in the deer woods (44years) I know what goes on out there, and people shoot first then see the nubbies, after the kill. As far as me telling the difference-I only kill mule faced does, you know what they look like? :)I don't shoot little fork horns either. ;)

Now if the word DUMMY applies to YOU, wear it proudly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

BowHuntingFool 03-19-2009 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: mr.mc54

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFoolquote]

Are you saying that you know that nubbies don't make up a large portion of the antlerless deer taken in EAB zones????
How many car killed deer (antlerless) do you guess are tagged for the EAB (buck tag). I would say that you are a liar if you can say that you can see the nubs on a running antlerless deer! :DThat my friend is how so many are mistaken for small does in areas where EAB rules apply. Maybe you only stand hunt and don't shoot at running deer, however you would be in the minority. Many late buck fawns havn't even crested the hair over their nubs by deer season. Maybe next deer season watch what is registered in an EAB unit, You will be shocked to see at least 25% nubbies. I have done it and I know what was shot in our area alone. Maybe then you will see everyone is not an eagle eye as you must be!! From my experience in the deer woods (44years) I know what goes on out there, and people shoot first then see the nubbies, after the kill. As far as me telling the difference-I only kill mule faced does, you know what they look like? :)I don't shoot little fork horns either. ;)

Now if the word DUMMY applies to YOU, wear it proudly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D
:D:D:D

Sweet, I knew you were going to go there....;) Typical arm chair biologist behavior and comments!:D:D:D Have a nice day. [8D]

cayugad 03-19-2009 04:19 PM

All I can add in the disagreement of nubbies... when I was forced to shoot a doe first (a deer I really did not want). I was as careful as could be not to shoot a nubbie. I took standing shots at anterless deer. And 99% of the time I had no idea of their sex untilAFTER I SHOT THEM. I then discovered that some were nubbies.

I used to get around this by shooting only LARGEanterless deer. But after the DNR let the population get shot off, that was not the case. Last year I would have been happy to even see a nubbie.

Now granted once in a while I could see the bumps on their heads, but a lot of times that just is not the case. And when a person wants to get this stupid EAB requirement of the way, theslaughter of an anterless, many times they do not care. Bowhuntingfool I am not doubting your ability to spot nubbies, but many either don't have that skill, or because of the EAB could care less. All they want to do is fill the requirement. Hence the buck population does suffer.

I will never forget the year I had one of the biggest bucks ever,walk in on me and stand there, and I had not shot a doe yet and had to let it pass.

Actually I decided after last year that I will not buy a tag this year. And, I am going to lock my land off and not allow anyone on it or to crossit to get to the National. I want to let the herd come back a little in my area. There is my great nephew that wanted to hunt, but after last year's joke of not seeing a single deer, that desire might have been stomped out of him. So he might not want to even hunt. Maybe this is the DNR's desire, to reduce the number of hunters as well... we should have them count the number of hunters that refuse to hunt because of the herd count from last year.

If I had a job where it was my duty to count deer and was off as much as they were last year (:eek: oops..wrong formula), I would expect to be unemployed. They probably got bonuses. After all they tricked a lot of people into buying a license last year, but I have a feeling this year is going to be much different.

BowHuntingFool 03-20-2009 09:50 AM

Dave, I learned long ago that if I don't want to shoot a BB to learn the difference. I did, I learned what they look like, their behavior and if I was unsure, let em' walk, no big deal! I'll also add if I need meat in the freezer, I'll shoot one in a heart beat, no big deal. EAB has its place where needed, if hunters did their jobs there would be no need for EAB, plain and simple!

I'm curious as to the folks that are not happy with their DMU's attended or are going to attend the meetings? I've been hearing the attendance is WAY down at some??? I wonder why that is??