Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Wisconsin Turkey hunters, how are the birds responding? >

Wisconsin Turkey hunters, how are the birds responding?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Turkey hunters, how are the birds responding?

Old 05-05-2003, 09:33 AM

Default RE: Wisconsin Turkey hunters, how are the birds responding?

we had 2nd time period in zone 18...the toms were very quiet compared to years past and gobbleing was few and far between. but we did tag out with 2 big toms and a jake...strange thing was the weather was beautiful and i would' ve expected them to be going nuts...oh well i can' t complain i got my biggest tom yet so i' m happy.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:14 PM

This may be a little late now, but I just found this site! Anyway, I had Zone 16 the second week and heard lots of gobbling on the roost and within 20-30 minutes after flydown. However, it seemed the toms had hens with them as soon as they hit the ground and they weren' t interested in any more. Even late morning, mid-day, afternoon.......I couldn' t get them to respond to calling. I had visual of 16 birds the last day (on private property) including 5 toms and 6 jakes so I know they were out there! I' m hoping next week the hens are nesting the the toms will come a-lookin' !!

Good luck all.......

J
Old 05-14-2003, 05:25 PM

Hunted in the rain today how does that saying go a bad day hunting is better than a day at work. Well I dont know if that means anything about rainy days and hunting . But I guess todays hunt ranked at the bottom of the barrel. [X(]
Old 05-19-2003, 10:28 AM

Any updates from those out during Week #5? I' m heading out this week for a second go-around and am hoping for better success!!
Old 05-20-2003, 06:16 AM

Took a buddy out on Sun. morning, he shot one @ 7:40. The birds were slow to gobble but once they started they didn' t quit. We seen about 4-5 toms and they all were pretty hot. The one he ended up shooting was called in from 1/4 mile away.

I have this next season as well, hopefully it won' t be as windy tomorrow as it was this morning.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:21 PM

Won' t be able to get out actually until Thurs., but the weather looks like it' s supposed to be nice. Hope the birds are too!! Good luck to ya St. Croix!

Anybody else have a report from last week?