Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Possible changes to Indiana Deer Regs? >

Possible changes to Indiana Deer Regs?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Possible changes to Indiana Deer Regs?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Possible changes to Indiana Deer Regs?

ORIGINAL: monster10rackstack

1585 is in the natural resource committee....It will likely die there
I saw that. I made sure and contacted my senator and let him know what i thought of the issue. Reading various other sites it seems like a lot of people did that as well.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:45 AM

I say no.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ever since its been 1 buck rule, things have gotten better.
But I do wish gun season didn't always start aroundNov. 15th......Wish itstarted about a week later.
I mostly bowhunt, so I get aggravated when Nov. 15 hits and it sounds like WWII Battle of the Bulge on every dang ridge.
That being said, I do like to hit the woods with the slug gun now and then, I just wish gun season was pushed back a week.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:47 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: hoosierHUNTER76

I STRONGLY DISAGREE I SEE PLENTY OF BOONERS SEASON AFTER SEASON IN INDIANA AND WHERE DO YOU GET OFF THINKIN WE DON'T HAVE THE POENTIAL BIGGER AND BIGGER BUCKS ARE GETTING KILLED YEAR AFTER YEAR HERE
OBVISIOUSLY YOU HAVE YOUR SMALL DEER GOGGLES ON
You're entitled to your opinion, but facts are facts, and are freely available at the IDNR website if you'd care to review them before blowing up at someone else. Your "evidence" is annecdotal at best, what you see and what thousands of other hunters seecan betotally different, and is no indication of what's really out there. Your assertion also directly contradicts the highly educatedassesment of IDNR's deer biologists, who have clearly stated in their harvest report that the only effect of the OBR was the predicted age shift they forecast before it even began. Soil fertility is directly impacted by mineral content, and antler growth is likewise impacted. Compared to our surrounding states Indiana has a relatively lower mineral content, and therefore lower potential for larger antler growth. You don't have to like facts for them to be true.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Kevin,

Do you have a specific study that supports your claim? Even if the mineral content is relatively lower there is likely plenty to grow big bucks. For the sake of this argument we'll say bucks over 160". What you are expressing is a theory NOT fact. Indiana is keeping pace with any known big buck location. What truly separates known hotspots (Pike, Buffalo co., ect.) is that these are nearly entirely privately held and managed for top end potential.

Pete
Old 03-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Indiana is listed as a top ten state as far as Pope and Young bucks now. Ohio is getting a lot of attention as a big buck state and since Indiana lies between Ill. and Ohio..........well, there ya go. BUT, Indiana is much better off keeping a low profile unless they want to become infested with outfitters.