Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Gaining hunting access to private land. >

Gaining hunting access to private land.

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Gaining hunting access to private land.

Old 04-18-2003, 04:50 PM

Default RE: Gaining hunting access to private land.

Huntress, you are about as far away as one can get to where I hunt/live in Vilas county. I am down in the Eagle River area.

As for having a few brews up in your neck of the woods, I have spent more time in the pea patch (Manny Waters) than any other place.

I used to live in Minoucqa, and my best friend Art worked for one of the many cranberry farms in Manny Waters.

I have been to The Bear Bar on W. The place was wall -to-wall, floor-to-ceiling, animal mounts, a taxidermist' s wet dream. Last I heard, it burnt down.(hard to start a flood in Winchester) This is going back 15 years plus, so it might not be the same place, but it was on the right hand side of the road, heading up to the U.P.

Good luck down there, and good luck up here!!
Old 04-20-2003, 11:27 AM

I am a Hunter Safety Instructor.
Part of the Hunter Safety Course requires the student to ask permission from(me) the landowner in their field test. We emphasize to the students they should be polite, tell the landowner they have graduated from Hunter Safety and if he/she says no, thank them for their time and leave.
If the person grants permission tell them you could spend a weekend or two doing chores in the summer, give him a stick of venison sausage or something and pick up any litter you find. Also, it' s not a bad idea to inform a farmer of a possible problem with some fencing if you see it.
You are representing all of us. One slob will ruin it for others for years as someone already stated.
I don' t like knocking on doors myself but since I don' t own any land, I don' t have much choice.
Good Luck.

Tim
Old 04-21-2003, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the great advice RICHIE3. Sounds like a good plan.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:30 AM

Hi Plaid dad, I have been to The Pea Patch. The times I was there it was always packed.
The Bear didn' t burn down, it' s still there. It is my understanding that there was a dispute between husband and wife that brought The Bear to a hault.
Good luck hunting!
Old 04-21-2003, 06:23 PM

Plaid Dad,
We have more in common than just New Berlin. I used to go to the Pea Patch about 25 years ago when it was owned by the Pea' s themselves. I' m trying to remember their names, for some reason Charlie and Inez rings a bell but I' m not sure. I was just a little guy then. I can remember catching a lot of Northern in the river just down from the dam. We used to fish the chain until the spearing changed all the limits. My dad still goes up every year opening week. Those were the days. (I know this has nothing to do with the post so I' ll add.) Make sure you are nice when asking permission to hunt private property.