Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Wisconsin Hunters (next year) >

Wisconsin Hunters (next year)

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Hunters (next year)

Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 PM

Default Wisconsin Hunters (next year)

I assume most of you will be hunting, bow or gun.

With the low population deer heard next year, what will be your standards?

Will you still shoot does, nubbins, yearlings? How many?

Next year I will try and shoot a doe or doe fawn with my bow and gun. 2 only. I will also try and fill both of my buck tags on a good buck.

I dont want this to turn into a debate on how stupid the DNR is, like all the other posts that have to deal with wisconsin huntinig.

Just what you goals or standards will be next year!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wisconsin Hunters (next year)

I assume you are in an area that still has a good deer herd. That is what we as hunters need to know before we take too many does. If the herd can take hunters taking 2 anterless deer thats ok. I know some areas that the does are few and far between after last year.

I am not taking any deer in WI., I am hunting in MN. for bucks only. In our area of the state we just don't have many deer period. It will take a few years for the deer to repopulate our area. Several of my neighboring farms are shutting down hunting on their land also.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Michigan but lease property in Buffalo County WI.
I will be doing the same as previous years which is shooting a doe in the EAB area to get my buck tag. I will thenhold out for a 140 inch minimum buck withmy bow.

In the slight chance there is no EAB in 2009 in my areaI will not shoot a doe as our doe population is low already.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:16 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Depends on how the season shakes out next year. In our area, the population is down, but not what I would consider to be low. To keep things in balance, we try to shoot an equal number of bucks and does, and will continue to do so next year. We pass nubbins. Basically this is part of an overall quality management effort, which includes passing up bucks that score less than 130 (exceptions are made for kids who hunt).
Old 01-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

My goal is to shoot a deer. It doesn't matter if its a buck or a doe.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

2008 was a good over all deerharvest for Wisconsin,should rank 11th or 12th highest on record. 20 years ago, 2008would have been an new record high harvest, and hunters were very happy to have that kind of oportunity. Biggest difference is, 20 years ago, bowhunters accounted for 13% of the total harvest. The last few years, bowhunters have accounted forover 22% of the deer harvest.

This winter is starting out on the harsh side. I personally predict there will be veryfew, if any, EAB zones outside the CWD management area.

For me, 2009 will be no different than 2008. Try to take at least one doe in the CWD zone as early as possible to get that EAB sticker in hand. Up north, bow or gun, bucks only get shot if they are going on the wall, a doe is shooters choice. The Teen-age boys in camp can shootany does, and any buck they want. We saw a record number of different small bucks whilebowhunting in 08, so 2009 should be a great year for everyone, looking forward to it.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: mr.mc54

I assume you are in an area that still has a good deer herd. That is what we as hunters need to know before we take too many does. If the herd can take hunters taking 2 anterless deer thats ok. I know some areas that the does are few and far between after last year.
No actually the area I hunt is in a watch to be an EAB unit next year. I will still try and take a couple of does, one with the bow and one with the gun.

Just because the herd is down, doesn't mean we have to stop shooting deer.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have to shoot a doe to get my buck tag but then after that im strictly going after a buck that has to score more than 130. ill shoot a doe if i havent gotten one and its towards the end of the season unless i see a crap load of does than ill probably take a couple to get the ratio down alittle.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I will not hunt Wisconsin next year. The deer population in my area has been so devastated that I would feel guilty adding to the problem. So I will be taking my hunting dollars out of state for a deer and a hog hunt.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Michigan but lease property in Buffalo County WI.
I will be doing the same as previous years which is shooting a doe in the EAB area to get my buck tag. I will thenhold out for a 140 inch minimum buck withmy bow.

In the slight chance there is no EAB in 2009 in my areaI will not shoot a doe as our doe population is low already.
did you get a doe this year, if so it carries over to next year unless they changed that.

I plan on hunting like this year. shoot a couple of does for my freezer then wait for a buck. our population where i hunt seems to be all does with very few bucks.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin Hunters (next year)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.