Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Should Iowa get crossbow season. >

Should Iowa get crossbow season.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Should Iowa get crossbow season.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Should Iowa get crossbow season.

Does anybody else think that Iowa's late archery season should be open to crossbows, or maybe have a separate January antlerless only season for crossbows. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Should Iowa get crossbow season.

Im partial to the recurves and compounds, so I would push for a No, if this ever came to a vote, except in the case for handicapped or partially handicapped people.

You could still get a crossbow and hunt coyotes with it...all year round
Old 01-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess it is fun to argue it, but it doesn't really matter. The Crossbow has been expanding state by state over the last couple decades no matter what people say. Lots of arguments used against it were used against the compound bow and you see what happened with it.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, it just happens to be something that will probably come to pass soon... I could care less as long as I still have my option to use my compund...
Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just think it would be something new and exciting, it can't compare to the rush of a compound, but during late season when its -30 degrees and you need lots of clothing, this would make harvesting a deer a tad easier.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Fork Horn

No, not unless you can't shoot a compound or recuve, etc. If you have to shoot a crossbow for some reason, then fine, but not a whole season devoted to it, or even have it allowed for everyone. Especially not an extra late season antlerless.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally like the Illinois rule, if you are over 62 or can't draw back a bow, you are allowed to use a crossbow. I like that rule alot, I think if you are able to pull back a bow than you should have to use it.I don't see why someone in their 20's or 30's who is healthy should have to use a crossbow.The late Crossbow antlerless only season though is a good idea in heavily populated areas, its like adding another season to hunting with a new form of hunting that most Northerners don't use. .
Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

The pioneers of archery seasons probably did not envision that 40 years down the line many bowhunters would be carrying tricked out compound bows that look like something out of a science fiction movie. The pioneers of "primitive" firearms seasons likely did notknow that today many folks would be out there with high tech centerline rifles that shoot like a30-30.And those who pushed for Pistol seasons fordeer probably weren't thinking about the common use of T/C target pistols and scopes that can drop a deer at150 yards. But all that has happened andafter a while most people quit seeing all that change as a problem.Is it really any surprise that the crossbow is now on the drawing boards of more and more states?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nick_bleuer76

I just think it would be something new and exciting, it can't compare to the rush of a compound, but during late season when its -30 degrees and you need lots of clothing, this would make harvesting a deer a tad easier.

So, how many deer have you killed with a crossbow?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt with a crossbow in WI, only because I am disabled. Let me clear one thing up and that is the misconception that it is easy to hunt with a crossbow. They are heavy and cumbersome at times but for those who can't draw a bow its the only way. I would love to hunt with my compound but I can't. I think most states willmost likelyallow them down the road.

ANY-ONE WHO DEGRADES A FELLOW HUNTER BECAUSE HE WANTS TO USE A DIFFERENT WEAPON OF CHOICE IS NOT A SPORTSMAN! An ideal situation would be to let hunters use what ever they want.