Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Illinois

Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois

Lease prices tend to be a little steeper around here-we get help from outfitters driving the price up [:@]
Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I should have been more clear. I was talking aboutthe counties pretty much straight east of O'Fallon.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are still some guys around here that seem to be lucky and get some real steals on leases.I would hate to guess what the average rate is around here.But I know of a guy getting $4000 for an 80 acre and on the other hand I know of some guys who leased about 500(about 200--250 huntable)for $2000. I just dont seem to be lucky enough to come across one of those deals.
An outfitter i know of is offering landowners$50 per acre.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 AM

Yes, the lease prices are getting steep in illinois but dont forget you have some good public hunting close to ofallon around cofeen lake and carlyle lake
Old 01-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

There def. is some great hunting to be had, if you know where to go. 20 miles east of St. Louis and you'll have the Shawnee National forest within a few hours and thats over 250,000 acres. Plus Crab Orchard is around there which is around 20,000 acres as well. There is some great deer hunting and small game hunting in there if you know where to go. I know of a guy who kills monster bucks out of Crab Orchard pretty consistantly but you can't be one of those "100 yards off road" hunters.

I agree that leases are getting ridiculous. These outfitters are killing hunters who want to put in time to scout rather than pay $3000 to take a buck. Hopefully with this recession outfitters won't get as many hunters this year and will be forced to give up leases and make them more affordable to normal hunters
Old 01-07-2009, 02:54 PM

i assume all the public land is hunted preety hard around there?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ihuntbuck

Yes, the lease prices are getting steep in illinois but dont forget you have some good public hunting close to ofallon around cofeen lake and carlyle lake
Don't forget about Horseshoe Lake. A ton of hunting pressure, but that place holds some true studs and few hunters who are willing to put in the leg work are lucky enought to pull some giants out of there every year.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:56 AM

yote killer they prolly see alot of pressure but like all hunting you cant kill one off the couch worrying about other hunters.this is illinois its not like we have a shortage of deer. good luck
Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Folks in Illinois are pretty friendly and can be fairly generous about allowing access to their land. An outgoing person who is willing to put some effort into it could likely find some private ground a lot closer and convenient than public ground. In the small game thread you mentioned wanting to do a lot of coyote hunting. Lots of folks should be willing to let you do that, which would be a good way to get permission to hunt the same ground for deer.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Coyote killer

i assume all the public land is hunted preety hard around there?
There is plenty of public land in Shawneenational forest that is great for hunting and not hunted hard...

I hunt public land and rarely see another hunter...

Quick Reply: Illinois

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.