Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Gov. Doyle wants to put a tax on every deer taken by hunters in WI. >

Gov. Doyle wants to put a tax on every deer taken by hunters in WI.

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Gov. Doyle wants to put a tax on every deer taken by hunters in WI.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gov. Doyle wants to put a tax on every deer taken by hunters in WI.

ORIGINAL: mr.mc54

It goes on to say that a surcharge of $100.00 per deer taken would amount to $50,000.00 dollars for the state.
Im not sure if this was cut and pasted wrong but $50,000.00 / $100.00 is equal to 500 deer. I sure hope the Wisconsin population of deer is down that much this coming year!! I don't think anyone in there right mind would even come close to passing that. You might as well stop 80% of the out of state hunters from coming. I don't mind paying some extra $$$ when i know its going towards the outdoors but a surcharge is ridiculous. The people who would get screwed would be the residents. $120 to shoot a deer in your own state! That is insane!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry about the misprint- the article said 50 million $$$$$. I missed three 000's

IAGREE NO-ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD PAY THIS, HOW EVER OURGOV ISN'T IN HIS RIGHT MIND IN MY OPINION! OUR MONEY THAT WE PAY NOW GOES TO THE STATE GENERAL FUND. THEY SPEND IT HOWEVER THEY LIKE!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: spaniel

ORIGINAL: 1sagittarius

Raising the Non-Resident deer license fees to $400 (like Illinois and Iowa) would raise and additional $9 Million for the politicians.
No it won't, you're forgetting to factor in that the number of licenses sold will plummet. How many people are really willing to pay that to hunt an animal they probably have in their own state??
Actually I figured about a 15%+ decrease. However, even a 50% drop in NR would result in increased revenue for politicians. Illinois has what, 19,000 NR bowhunters, Iowa 3,500 NR bowhunters?

With all the whining about fewer deer, fewer NR hunters means deer more for residents .
Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Why should any of the law abiding hunters have to pay extra to fund our governments screw ups. Resident or not that doesn't make sense. If you charge $400 for a license non-resident sales will not drop 50% but I would guess closer to 75%. The DNR screwed up the deer herd not non resident hunters. I am a resident of Wisconsin and have friends that are from Minnesota that are just as much a part of our party as the Wisconsin guys. But lets just screw the out-of-staters, then guess what. When that doesn't work it's just like gun control, it gets the ball rolling on raising our licenses. We need to be realistic about this people write your representatives, and senators. If every outdoorsman does there part they will have no choice but to vote the bill down (for the deer and cow taxes). If we don't stick together on this and it gets passed lord only knows what doyle will think of taking away (or taxing.)
Old 01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

that sucks for my family. we have 250 head of dairy cattle. he better not try and tax deer and cattle
Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: spaniel

No it won't, you're forgetting to factor in that the number of licenses sold will plummet. How many people are really willing to pay that to hunt an animal they probably have in their own state??
Not only out of state hunters are going to quit buying licenses.A lot ofWisconsin hunters are sick of the DNR enough already to quit hunting, and this registration fee would push a lot of hunters over the edge to make them quit hunting. Even though I am totally against the DNR's philosophy of "kill the entire deer herd," this would probobly make enough people quit hunting so that we would be in something like triple earn a buckto make up for the lost hunters. $100 registration fee: I don't think it's going to happen. Too many bad consequences for possibly increasing the state's revenue.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

This proposal is on a larger scale than just WI. This is an EPA proposal that may affect the dairy industry as a whole. The Agriculture Department is against this all the way. As I understood the article, DOYLE is looking for any way to raise money. Where these people come up with this stuff, is impossible to comprehend. We as hunters must be aware of any talk of infringments of our rights and let it be known. Now I cannot believe any bill like this will ever be even brought to a vote. If anyone would do that they will be sent packing.

The thing we must watch is all the special interest groups and their agendas. ( Anti-hunters, tree-huggers and animal rights activists)
Doyle will be Doyle till we remove him from his position. ( TAX AND SPEND)
Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Ridiculous. What an idiot. If this passes your state will need more money to rid the state of an over population of deer. Where will that moneycome from?

Tax dairy cows. I guess cost of milk will skyrocket to outter space.

If governments would cut out the pork, entitlements, and control their spending we wouldn't be in this mess.

Spudrow from MO

Old 01-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know our govenor is corrupt as they come and hates the outdoorsman in this state, but it looks like WI govenor is just as big as an idiot. I agree that this really won't effect the out of state hunter too much. The in-state hunter will be killed by this. I can't imagine paying an extra $100 to shoot a doe when the state wants you to shoot as many as you can anyway. Seems like the Gov. is trying to throw gas on an already existing fire. I HIGHLY doubt this measure will pass. It amazes me more that the Gov. would even propose something like this. This guy sounds like a piece of work!