Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 So how many Wisconsin EAB units in '09? >

So how many Wisconsin EAB units in '09?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

So how many Wisconsin EAB units in '09?

Old 12-25-2008, 08:57 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default So how many Wisconsin EAB units in '09?

Just curious as to how the DNR will adjust, if at all, to a harvest that was 20% lower than last year. What is most troubling is that in August of '08 they had already created an "EAB Watchlist", apparently based on the assumption that there was no way they could mess up herd population estimates.See below: funny how they think...or thought...the state had such apopulationissue despite the facts...a20% drop in harvest...proving them way, WAY off.

So let's hear some guesses...how many think the DNR trims this way back, or comes up with some perverse reasons to justify more EAB?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: So how many Wisconsin EAB units in '09?

The northern 1/3 of the state will not have it.........The wholesouthern 1/3 of the state whichconsists mostly of "CWD" units will have it. Some of thehigher harvest units in theCental part will have it............. It will really depend on how much pressure we as hunters put on theNatural Resource Board "Heads".
Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Buckhunter:

I agree with your prediction that the CWD area will remain (run and Gun) cause they want the deer eradicated. However it is a realguess as far as what they (DNR) will do.

If enough hunters get envolved, the DNR may change direction on their eradication mode. I truely don't see them admitting they messed up so we may have to take it in our own hands. There are a lot of hunters as the poll shows on the (BOWHUNTING) thread that will not seriously get envolved.
Some say they can't give up hunting because they love deer hunting and really look forward to it every year. Don't we all? I'm not dis'en them but it will take a united effort to stop the DNR. There are some real nice bucks taken on public land but there is also alot of other hunters to deal with.

My plan is my neighboring farmers and myself are closing deer hunting on our land-about 2000 acres in all and NO ONE hunts deer on our land. We figure the herd will rebound in 1-2 years. This will force about 50 guys that normally hunt on our properties to start trying to find other places to hunt. When they see what it is like hunting on public land, if they can find some, they will start to question the mess the DNR made.

Now I love to hunt as much as anyone, but We feel the time has come to make a stand.

We feel other farmers and land owmers will do the same if nothing changes with the DNR's eradication mode. I have read alot of posts that other land owners are doing the same thing. I suggest that if you depend on hunting on private land you take a stand with us .
Old 12-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

2007 was the second highest deer harvest in state history. 2007/2008 was a harder winter than realized. 2008/2009 winter has started with alot of snow and below zero temperatures ....

There will be very few EAB units in Wisconsin for 2009, most will be CWD units in the south ... some southern CWD units showed increased harveststhis year over 2007.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:55 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

2007 was the second highest deer harvest in state history. 2007/2008 was a harder winter than realized. 2008/2009 winter has started with alot of snow and below zero temperatures ....

There will be very few EAB units in Wisconsin for 2009, most will be CWD units in the south ... some southern CWD units showed increased harveststhis year over 2007.
1sagittarius,

I am hoping the DNR is looking at things as logically as you are. To me, everything you stated makes perfect sense. My concern is that of the three facts listed in your first sentence: '07 deer harvest, 07'/'08 winter, and '08/'09 winter, the DNR was fully aware of two of them when they created the so-called EAB Watch List this past summer.

Let's hope that common sense is a common commodity at the DNR.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'll bet that they do not change at all .
Old 12-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Typical Buck

Unfortunately i don't see them changing anything either..........last year was one of the worst winters on record for snow fall, yet almost the entire state had EAB, the DNR does not seem to use logic or common sense when setting population goals or for that matter deer counts. The first step is to back off the CWD thing completely and let the southern 1/3 of the state get back to normal hunting seasons, they have to realize they will never eradicate the disease and it has not been spreading to the central or northen parts of the state so why waste a resource just to prove a point that can't be proven?Hell Wyo. has had CWD for over 30 years and never did anything drastic like the WiDNR did 6 years ago!
If the DNR wants EAB, they need to start micro managing all the units they wish to use it in and designate areas with low numbers to be anterlered only for a few season to bring the populations back in check. But the problem with micro management is it's too costly, so they should do away with EAB completely and let the landowners and hunters manage the deer populations. We did fine before the DNR got too involved and F^*$ed everything up!

I agree with mr.mc54 we need to take back our resource and send a message to the DNR that we won't stand for the unregulated slaughter of our deer herd anymore!
I don't know if any of you remember deer hunting in the 70's in the southern part of the state, but if you saw a buck , any buck, it was like Christmas day! A rare thing indeed. Then the 80's came with huge numbers of does and no tags avail. to manage them. I remember opening days where I counted over 100 traveling past my stand and I could not take one because no anterless tags were avail. for our unit! Then in the mid 90's things started to level out and good bucks and smaller numbers of does were seen, anterless tags were avail. and we did our own management and got the numbers in check. Everything in my neck of the woods was going great until CWD was "discovered" then it all went to hell in a handbasket and I fear will never return to what it once was for a very brief time in the mid to late 90's into 2001........... The DNR has had enough time to experiment with our deer herd, time to say enough is enough!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with you all the way, now we need to sell this philosophy to as many hunters as possible.

We as hunters and land owners should look at our areas we hunt real close this year and then decide what we are going to do. All it would take is to let the baldies go 1-2 years on areas that are down on deer numbers. Then if you cannot give up hunting, waite for big buck or don't shoot any thing.

If they come out with EAB again- Don't hunt this year! If you buy into the DNR'S philosophy you are damaging our deer herd beyond the point of no return. (SOUNDS DRASTIC GUYS BUT IT IS TRUELY BAD) NOWI KNOW THAT ALLUNITS IN THE STATE ARE NOT THE SAME IN REGARD TO DEER NUMBERS. That is why we need to get out and see what we have now.

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER. WE NEED TO STOP BICKERING BACK AND FORTH AND GET OFF OUR A** AND UNITE WITH ONE ANOTHER. TAKE A STAND FOR GOD SAKES!

I know we all don't think alike on some things but we all belong to a very special group of citizens, we all enjoy the right to hunt and we need to protect that right. By us checking out our areas and defending our position on what we see, no mater what that is we are doing our part.

I KNOW I MAY HAVE OFFENDED SOME OF YOU BY MY POSTS BUT I AM VERY CONCERENED ABOUT WHAT THE TREND IS WITH THE DNR SLAUGHTER.

I WANT THE DEER HERD TO BE THERE FOR MY GRAND CHILDREN AND CARRY ON THE GREAT TRADITION OF HUNTINGWITH THEIR GENERATION!

SO I'M SORRY! ITS OK TO DISAGREE ON THINGS AS LONG AS WE ARE ON THE SAME SIDE!

HUNTING IS A GREAT RIGHT GIVEN TO US BY OUR FORE FATHERS, SO LETS PROTECT IT!!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TJD
1sagittarius, I am hoping the DNR is looking at things as logically as you are. To me, everything you stated makes perfect sense. My concern is that of the three facts listed in your first sentence: '07 deer harvest, 07'/'08 winter, and '08/'09 winter, the DNR was fully aware of two of them when they created the so-called EAB Watch List this past summer.

Let's hope that common sense is a common commodity at the DNR.
Common sense, Reason, and a deep concern for all wildlife and habitats(not just deer), is alive and well within the DNR.

We have enjoyed super high deer populations, and high deer harvestsfor many years now. 20 years ago, this years deer harvest would have been a new record high, and hunters were thrilled to have such oportunities. Today many spoiled hunters talk like they want Wisconsin turned into one big Texas deer farm. JMHO
Old 12-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

I BEG TO DIFFER WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL THE SPOILED HUNTERS WANT IS TO SEE DEER!
Every area in this state is different. You can even say every wood lot could be different. If all hunters would or could go out and look at your area you would see a big difference from farm to farm. We can't say generally that because you saw deer that, that is the case every where. I have a farm and I know what animals are there and the pheasants are on a rebound here but in other places that may not be the case. There are a lot of factors that determine if a certain species survives or fails.

FOR THIS REASON THE DNR IS FAILING ON THE DEER COUNT! They should let the land owners as well as the DNR do the counts. Then you would have a better idea as to what you have.

Quick Reply: So how many Wisconsin EAB units in '09?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.