Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Ohio Deer - who owns them? >

Ohio Deer - who owns them?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohio Deer - who owns them?

Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Spike

Default Ohio Deer - who owns them?

This topic came up a few days ago while I was sitting around talking with my dad and brother-in-law. We were talking about the recent bust of the poachers and the fines. $13k + truck for a big buck.
Now, I understand the ODNR states that the animals (deer in this example) are the peoples and they are responsible for them. So, if someone is out illegally taking them the wildlife officers can go anywhere they want to protect them and to write tickets. I don't want to argue if they have too much power or not, but my question is this. If the deer are their animals then would we have a claim when one of their animals jump out in front of my car and destroy it? I know my insurance will pay for it, but if I had a cow and it walked out into the street wouldn't my insurance be responsible for fixing the car that smashed into it?
I know nothing will change and it is what it is, but I think it's somewhat interesting that there is sort of a two sided law on this.
Another thought I had was, has anyone ever been sited by a wildlife officer for taking game out of season or even with an illegal weapon by killing a deer with a car?
What do you all think?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ohio Deer - who owns them?

Obviously, deer are a public resource controlled by the state. I'm not lawyer, but I would assume that if people wanted they could file suit because of damages caused by alleged mismanagement. I have a friend in Illinois who has considered such an action. He owns a vineyard that gets a lot of damage by deer, but the state refuses to let him cull the deer.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

but if I had a cow and it walked out into the street wouldn't my insurance be responsible for fixing the car that smashed into it?
Actually, no, not always.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

I'll tell you a good one-

Here inWI a farmer hit a 763LB black bear with his combine. The farmer wanted to keep the bear because he fed it his corn(not voluntarily). The bear caused a whole lot of damage to his corn field. The wonderful DNR said he could buy the bear for I think About $150.00 . The farmer asked - What about the damage the bear caused to my corn field? The Wardon had no answer. After some haggling the farmer had to pay $75.00 for a bear that probably cost him hundreds of dollars.

WHAT ABOUT THIS?
Old 12-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

AS A FARMER THERE ARE LAWS THAT SAY IF MY CATTLE ARE OUT AND IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE I AM LIABLE FOR DAMAGES THAT INCURR SUCH AS WRECKING SOMEONES PETUNIAS OR A CAR ACCIDENT! I ALSO COULD BE FINED FOR CATTLE AT LARGE WHICH MEANS OUT

NOW OUT WEST THE CATTLE CAN ROAM AND THE DRIVER CAN BE HELD LIABLE.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Spike

Mr. mc54. That is interesting about the bear. Did the warden have to go back to his boss to negotiate the difference in price or was he looking for cash the whole time? Or was he saying the bear only ate $75 worth of corn?
So that brings up another question, if you kill a bear with your car, do you have to pay to keep it? I know I don't have to pay for a deer to keep it in Ohio. The officer at the "accident" will just write me out a tag.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Obviously, deer are a public resource controlled by the state. I'm not lawyer, but I would assume that if people wanted they could file suit because of damages caused by alleged mismanagement. I have a friend in Illinois who has considered such an action. He owns a vineyard that gets a lot of damage by deer, but the state refuses to let him cull the deer.
Do they tell him his option is to build a tall fence? Just wondering what they say. Thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

In Wisconsin-The warden will sell the bear to the farmer or if I hit one he will sell it to me for a price He has the authority to do so. Every state has their own regs. Deer are different- the police will tag it for you no $$$$$

AS FOR THE WARDENI DON'T KNOW HOW HE CAME UP WITH HIS ASKING PRICE!I AM QUITE SURE THAT BEAR CAUSED SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS DAMAGE TO THAT CORN FIELD.

AS FOR SUING THEDNR ( good luck)

FARMERS CAN GET DAMAGE TAGS FOR DEER AND THEY CAN GIVE THEM TO HUNTERS AS THEY CHOOSE
Old 12-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

I would a told him too keep the bear and he owes me money!!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 AM

763lb black bear for a 150$. Have it full mounted and sell it for huge $$$$$$$ at an auction. Not hard to do the math on that bear.

Quick Reply: Ohio Deer - who owns them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.