Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

North Dakota

Old 12-09-2008, 09:57 AM

Default RE: North Dakota

Oh I almost forgot the stinky speed goat (Antelope)
Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 220DarylSwift

Are you talking like down in the Bowman area. I am not sure there is much public land down there. Best bet for public land is the badlands over in the Grassy Butte area and thereyou may even get a shot on a Mt. Lion.
thanks for the advice do you know if there are many goats and deer in the area or is it better to just go after one or the other never tried any hunting like this
Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 AM

Badlands has it all man. Whitetail, muledeer, antelope, Mt. lions, you name it. May even see some elk. The bowman area has mostly mule deer so if you see a whitetail shoot it cause may be the only one you see.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Badlands has it all man. Whitetail, muledeer, antelope, Mt. lions, you name it. May even see some elk. The bowman area has mostly mule deer so if you see a whitetail shoot it cause may be the only one you see.
Sounds great thanks for all of the info
Old 12-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

I am looking at the Little Miss national grasslands just trying to find a good area to start not sure if one area is better than another or what little towns to visit. Again any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Old 12-18-2008, 10:07 PM

220 I am from ND. What part of the state are you from. I live south of Bismarck on the Missouri by the SD border. I work in the badlands on a weekly baisis from spring through fall in the oil fields. I have a friend who ranches west of Grassy Butte so I have hunted on his ranch several times. There is some good Antelope hunting down by the Bowman area on the BLM and Forest service lands by Marmoth. It is not as much land as up by Bellfield and north but it gets pressured less.

As for the person who wanted to know what small towns to visit in the badlands, there are only a small handfull left that are "in" the badlands. A lot of the smalltowns on the map don't exist anymore. Trotters is an example which is plotted on the map but no one lives there anymore. Most of the towns are up on the flats which extend out from the badlands. A lot of the small towns do not have hotels. Some have city parks where you can park a camper. I would look at a few towns you are interested in and look them up on the web to see if they offer that. Also remember there are campgrounds on the fed ground which are free. No utilities but they do have outhouses.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Spike

Count me in for living in North Dakota also. Right in Bismarck. Did live in South Dakota for about 30 yrs, but decided to try something different. So far, so good. Seems like North Dakota has a little bit of everything to hunt around here, and I get to shoot geese and ducks before my buddies back home get a shot at the passing flocks.