Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Spike

Default RE: wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also am fed up with the DNR's bullcrap. I will not be buying a gun tag next year either.I have written tothe DNR about my thoughts ( not that it will do any good) and will also be contacting my state rep. I think the lead DNR officials should have a 3-4 year term like other state officials. That would almost force them to listen to the people or else they would be out the door. When the DNR screws up the counts on wolves, bears, deer, and still makes you apply for a turkey tag when they are all over the place, some people should be losing there jobs.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Spike

I do agree with the statment of some people don't respect the landowner and that iratates me. I do hunt on private land mostly and also hunt alone. As far as the leaving gates open and cutting fences that actually happened where I hunt at this fall before deer season. I was down there looking around and noticed that the chain to close a padalocked gate had been cut. I walked back up to my truck and took an S-link out of a tarp strap and grabbed a pair of pliers and put the chain back together. The cattle were out for the year already and I told the landowners son in law about it during hunting season so he could let them know. I think it's only right to fix a fence if you see a problem with it. I always carry pliers in my truck and can usually come up with an old fence clip or patch it to hold. I walk around down there periodically through out the year anyway.

Two years ago I locked 2 head of cattle in that were left there by the guy that rented the pasture from them. One of them was very wild and wouldn't go near people the other one was left as a companion for him.I was feeding them well into Dec. after there was snow on the ground. I had bought 100# of shelled corn at the feed storeand seemed to care more about them than the guy that owned them. He doesn't rent the pasture there anymore either. The night I locked those in it was snowing like crazy and I had went down to check on them and put more corn out for them. When I got there and started walking in the lower pasture looking for them I noticed the landowner had been down there that day as there were tire tracks in the snow and the gate between the upper and lower pasture was open. They had also dropped some hay down and had a trail going to the coral at the upper pasture.I followed the hay up and caught the cattle in the coral andlocked them in. I then walked back down to the lower end, went home and called them. I asked them if they had been trying to get them in and they said yes. They weren't theirs but they were trying to get them in so they wouldn't starve to death. This is a very isolated area and distance between the upper and lower pasture is approx1 to 1 1/2 miles. I told them they were in and they could go get them. They wereappreciative of that and I was glad to do it because they allow me to hunt there. We wound up getting about 6 inches of snow that night plus there already was snow on the ground.I also picked the hay up around the outside of the coral and put it in there in case they didn't get down there right away.I went back a couple days later and they had gotten them out.

I know a lot of people wouldn't have done what I did but please don'tlump everyone in the same catagory. I've hunted that land for 25 years and the landowner is in his 80's I don't know how long I'll be able to keep hunting there but it's about the only area I know.My dad grewup in that area and that's howwe got hunting it. When he passed away he wanted his ashes spread out down there so it's also a sentimental thing as well. I know the day is coming that I may not be able to hunt that area and it's one I'm dreading.

I knowI got off topic but not all people that ask to hunt on your land are the same. I can't afford to get into a high dollar lease but $15.00 isn't muchand I couldafford that myself. I just can't afford the $100.00 to $300.00 some people charge for the chance to shoot a deer. If it ever comes to that it will be public land or I'll quit hunting all together.

Trapper22
Old 12-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

TRAPPER-you are an exception to the rule! I am either checking fence or running hunters a..es off my land. I would give any one permission w/o any fees if they would just ask for permission and treat my kindness with respect. I once was a hunter who didn't have a place to hunt and you know what I did was ask permission first-and never bring anyone along w/o asking first. I always gave the farmer or land owner a gift of beer,cheese box or just ask if I could give him a hand with something. (THAT GOES A LONG WAYS) I don't ask for money-to me thats not what its about. But it really gets me when guys sneak on my land, then they will meet our sheriff.

I know not every one is like that but one guy can make a farmer or land owner not let any one on!!!

I also make sure our management rules are obeyed by every one on my land and I don't think I ask for too much.

I wish all hunters that read this would think about what a privelage it is to have a place to hunt.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 PM

So you guys that are all in an uproar about the dnr like i am, how long will it take the deer heard back to where it was in the "GLORY DAYS"
Old 12-15-2008, 06:32 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

So you guys that are all in an uproar about the dnr like i am, how long will it take the deer heard back to where it was in the "GLORY DAYS"
I don't expect...or want...it to get back to the so-called "glory days"where I would see 80 to 100 deer opening day, and of that total 70% were does and fawns, a bunch of 4 and 6 pointers, and if we got REALLY lucky we would see one halfway decent buck about every other year.

What I would like to see is a little more of the following:
[ol][*]A DNR that looks to work in partnership with hunters and landowners. Not a DNR that comes up with brainless ideas like having sharpshooters in helicopters shoot deer at night with spotlights in the CWD zone.[*]While we're at it, a DNR that tries to LISTEN to landowners as to how they would like to approach deer management.[*]Deer season structure that is not simply based on a bunch of government bureaucrats looking at computer printouts, who then use the output to confirm an already existing bias of overpopulation. Hey guys...farmers will have hunters shoot more deer if there is too much deer damage, landowners looking for trophies will shoot does to get the ratios in order, we ALL have a stake in getting it right and not simply letting the population explode...you guys at the DNR are not the only ones with a stake in having the deer population at a sustainable level.[/ol]
Will it happen? Depends on how much pressure is brought to bear. I have already contacted the appropriate state assembly members and state senator. Hopefully, more will do the same.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

TJD- And any one else who might be interested in this !!!!!!

I got a letter today from my congress man in which he said things have to change. He did a survey and maybe you were in on it that said sportsmen are very upset with the way the DNR is doing.
Some of the very same things we have been talking about- (the earn a buck,Dnr having preconcieved opinions before the meetings, Baiting,poor deer survey countsand other concerns.) Hey we have their attention!!!!!

I urge every person that reads this post- call your congress man or woman and let them know what you think. NOW IS THE TIME!!!!! WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF WE STICK TOGETHER.
WE HAVE THEM ON THEIR HEELS- IF WE CAN GET OUR CONGRESS MEN AFTER THEM THEN WE HAVE A CHANCETO TURN THIS AROUND.

IAGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID BROTHER AND SO DO SEVERAL THOUSAND OTHER HUNTERS!

Old 12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

how do you find the senitors to call i have already sent a letter to the dnr
Old 12-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

800,000 hunters all trying to shoot bucks only next year. Back to a 20:1 doe/buck ratio. Great, just like the "good old days" when a 1 1/2 y.o, 6 pointer was the bull of the woods.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Handles

800,000 hunters all trying to shoot bucks only next year. Back to a 20:1 doe/buck ratio. Great, just like the "good old days" when a 1 1/2 y.o, 6 pointer was the bull of the woods.
While not optimal, I'd prefer that over seeing 2 deer per day. I'm probably not alone in this regard.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

ITS GREAT TO RUFFLE YOUR FEATHERS AGAIN HANDLES!!!!!!

Back to inteligent thinking again- Don't write the DNR they are the problem! Find out who your representatives are and write them, they are your person to voice your views. My rep. isPat Kreitlow. I know the DNR is not going to listen until our reps. start nipping at their heels. There are (800,000 hunters as Handles say's) that have had enough.

Back to Handles- What do you think the DNR will do when it is taken out of their hands? If you are a casualty of lay offs so be it. Our NATURAL RESOURCES ARE MORE INPORTANT than a few employees that can't count.

Pat Kreitlow Wisconsin Western District (888)437-9436
Web-htp://www.legis.state.wi..us/senate/sen23/news/

If you don't know your rep is use this web site & it will tell you.
www.legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asap/waml/waml.aspx
Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.