HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/276409-wisconsin-dnr-crazy.html)

fastetti 12-11-2008 10:40 AM

RE: wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you guys on the licensing part but I think you will need a LARGE amount of the hunting population to do that. I think the key is to get the guys that travel to quit hunting for a while. If you get some of the local hotels, restaurants and sporting goods store on your side it will help a lot. I know most of you guys don't like Illinois hunters, but I didn't head to WI this year and when I look at all the money I spend in WI (License, Hotel, food, gas, beer;)(only after the hunt)) That turns out to be a lot of money not given to the local economy. License amounts is nothing compared to what people spend on the other things while they are hunting. Get the non-local deer hunters to stay away and thats when the gov't will really start to listen.

cayugad 12-11-2008 12:00 PM

I can not see the out of state hunters traveling and paying the outrageous out of state hunting fees to sit in the snow and watch squirrels. They are too smart for that. They will take their hunting dollars to other states where their chances are better. Then we can listen to the DNR complain about lack of interest.

I think this destruction of theherd is going to really hurt the State. When deer were in plenty, my area was packed with hunters. Restaurants, gas stations, bars, grocery stores, motels, etc.. thrived. They used to get all excited about hunting season. They will not be too happy in years to come.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is a joke. If you want the greatoutdoors screwed up, put them in charge. But they know how to charge us for every little thing. I really hope all the hunters that are upset, remember their experience in the woods this year and refuse to purchase a license. I know I will.

jessejmc1979 12-11-2008 12:08 PM

I think that the out of staters are going to be the most likely to skip out. I have a couple buddies from minnesota that aren't coming next year. (Actually I'm going there next year). Why would they: $160 like you say to set in the snow and watch squirrels. I think the doubters will be surprised next season when the majority of guys instate and out take the year off.

Handles 12-11-2008 12:10 PM

Again, none of this will affect the administration, just the hard working folks out in the field, which we already have too few of. We need more guys in the field to help convict poachers, trespassers, etc. Additionally it will hurtprograms that are positive in our state such as stocking fish, pheasants, allocation of public hunting grounds, clean water initiatives. So by beingselfish deer hunters, you are hurting many other outdoorsmen, women, and children.
If you don't want to shoot a deer, because in your hunting area, you feel there are too few deer, then by all means, don't shoot one. That doesn't meanyou shouldn't buy a license. For example, I haven't hunted waterfowl,pheasants, or fished for troutfor at least 10 years, but every year I buy a stamps for each of them, because I want all of those things to continue to improve. Maybe I'm being foolish with about $20 of my moneybut I would rather support programs, even ones I don't partake in, because I know that some kid might shoot his first ringneck over his dog and be hooked for life.

jessejmc1979 12-11-2008 12:21 PM

Good theory handles but the reason the deer herd is down is the dnr. So Something needs to change. It's not about my $20 its about everybodies. And how many pheasants did the dnr stock last year. I can't believe you are throwing pheasants, and trout into this. The dnr has cut way back on stocking everything in the recent past so I highly doubt anybody will miss the stocking of pheasants in a couple of public hunting grounds.

Handles 12-11-2008 12:27 PM

I also find it sad that you guys are so caught up in killing deer rather than enjoying the glory that is hunting.
Iworked extra hours and jobs and saved for 8 years to go on a once in alifetime caribou hunt this fall. Saw only 1 caribou, a young cow, the whole hunt (out of 14 guys in two camps). Only 2 guys were pissed about not shooting a bou. The rest of us enjoyed our hunt and will have fond memories of it. The other two will go through life with a sour taste in their mouths.

cayugad 12-11-2008 12:29 PM

I do feel we need to organize and hold the administration responsible. Contact your State representatives and Doyle. I have been sending out emails and snail mail. Demand that those responsible for the failed policies of the DNR are punished. Demand action. And if a few wardens loose their jobs.. well that's life. In today's economy no one has total job security.

As for buying a license and then not hunting. Sorry, I do not donate to something I think wrong. The DNR through their mismanagement made this problem.And I encourage all hunters upset over the deer herd numbersto do the same, don't purchase a deer license. Hurt them in the wallet and they listen better.

If we keep supporting their faulty policies by purchasing a license and not hunting,then they will never change their ways.What's the use of these town hall meetings if its only to listen to us complain and then do as THEY want anyway. Which is what they do. So contact your State Representatives and send Doyle a message as well. Let all of them know that we hunter are ticked off, and will not stand for this anymore!!!

jessejmc1979 12-11-2008 12:31 PM

You don't listen to what people are saying handles. Nobody on here is complaining about killing deer its seeing deer that's the issue. People want to see deer when they hunt. Isn't that why you're out there. If it was all about killing deer to all of us we wouldn't be complaining about eab and all of these doe permits. We just want to see deer again!!!!

Handles 12-11-2008 12:32 PM

Really Jesse, you are sure that no one will miss pheasant hunting? Hmm, maybe pheasant hunters think that you shouldn't worry about not getting a deer. You really sound like a spoiled brat. Me, Me, Me.

On second thought Jesse, don't buy a license next year, or the year after that, or after that... The sportsmen and sportswomen in this state don't really need your kind anywhere near the water or woods.

Sad.

jessejmc1979 12-11-2008 12:40 PM

Actually handles I pheasant hunt alot more than I deer hunt. The areas that I hunt haven't been stocked by the dnr at least in the last 10 yrs (probably ever) so to say the "pheasant hunters" you are talking about me. And with this being true let them not stock pheasants. Explain to me how I am only thinking about myself. I want everybodies kids to grow up with the opportunities to see deer like I did when I was a kid, and I've said that numerous times in here. Also tell me why I shouldn't think that the dnr is only worried about their wallet because the things they do sure would suggest that is the case.