HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/276409-wisconsin-dnr-crazy.html)

TJD 12-05-2008 08:14 PM

RE: wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are the facts: Looking at the preliminary results from the 9-day gun hunt (does not include bow,muzzleloader,doe-only,youth,or late season) on the DNR website, we will still harvest more deer than any other year previous to 1989. Add in all of those other hunts and we will still be in the top 10 harvests of all time, and will easily top that 1989 mark, the first year to ever go over 300,000. Many people talk about the good old days. Even in this down year we are blowing the good old days away. Memories fail, and people get spoiled very quickly.
I see what you are saying, but two more current issues come to the forefront:
[ol][*]The DNR had INCREASED the number of units on the Earn-a-Buck "watchlist" for 2009 supposedly because the deer population was HIGHER than last year in most units.[*]The above notwithstanding, the harvest this year was 20% lower than last year, despite weather being reasonable, and slightly more licenses being sold than in 2007.[/ol]
The bottom line is that the DNR grossly overestimated the deer population this year, and is now facing a backlash due to setting the expectation among hunters that there were a lot more deer out there.

...and frankly, they deserve the backlash by missing out on the population estimate by such a wide margin.

Tbone1187 12-07-2008 09:33 PM

we cant even compare numbers of deer shot years ago we couldent shoot does like we can now days compare buck harvest to buck harvest of this year and the old days back years ago buck were the main sex of the of deer killed not doe

Handles 12-08-2008 07:29 AM

People could have killed doe years ago, but they chose not to in many cases. This caused a huge increase in numbers, and EAB needed to be put in place.
I'm sure the DNR will look at this years harvest, along with the herd counts, and what this winter is like. My guess is there will be fewer EAB , and/or early seasons may be eliminated in some areas.

stickersNkickers 12-08-2008 04:56 PM

How bout an early muzzleloader season!!!

TJD 12-08-2008 07:55 PM

I'm sure the DNR will look at this years harvest, along with the herd counts, and what this winter is like. My guess is there will be fewer EAB , and/or early seasons may be eliminated in some areas.
I hope so. Actually, I have less of an issue with EAB than I do with the October antlerless hunts. Even there, the DNR was pushed...kicking and screaming...to move them towards the middle of the month and away from the prime, early rut late October timeframe. At least now it does not take away some of the best bowhunting time available.

Time will tell...

RT1 12-09-2008 02:13 PM

come over to michigan, there are a ton of deer, good deer also. tags over the counter are no problem and affordable. You want to hunt lower michigan, Grand Rapids on down to the state line. Very good herd and getting better!

wis_bow_huntr 12-10-2008 05:18 AM

What good do you think an early muzzle loader will do when there are no deer????

ORIGINAL: stickersNkickers

How bout an early muzzleloader season!!!

PYbuckhunter 12-10-2008 08:19 AM

New report came out on 12-9-08. Typical DNR....blame the hunters. According to them, there are plenty of deer...we as hunters are not trying hard enough!

Wardens: Interest In Deer Hunting Waned
Wardens Issue Report Tuesday

MADISON, Wis. -- There might be another reason hunters killed fewer deer during Wisconsin's traditional gun hunt -- the hunters themselves.
State wardens said in a report issued Tuesday that hunters spent only three or four hours at time in the woods and might have hunted only a few days out of the 9-day season.
They said hunting dropped off on the Sunday of opening weekend and didn't pick up for the rest of the season. They also reported fewer large groups of hunters, fewer people at deer camps, fewer youth hunters and fewer deer drives than in years past.
According to the report, the state sold 642,419 gun deer licenses, up 987 from 2007. But hunters killed 276,985 deer, down 19 percent from last year.

fastetti 12-10-2008 09:52 AM

I think the only way the DNR can insult hunters more now is to walk up to each one individually and spit in there face. Illinois just got better with the arrest of Blago. I hope the WDNR gets a boost somehow as well!

jessejmc1979 12-10-2008 09:55 AM

I am not surprised at all that the dnr is saying this. And they might be right about people not hunting after opening weekend. But from talking to all of the hunters I know: the reason is they didn't want to contribute to the problem of wiping out the deer herd. If the numbers are down why shoot more deer. I just hope we can stick together and get the idiots in madison to actually think what is best for the hunters (the dnrs source of funds) and the deer. As much as I wouldn't want to do it if we all skipped one season if they don't stop this whole "herd control" non-sense they would be crippled. But it would take everyone doing it!!! I guess we will have to show up to the spring meetings, let them know how we feel and go from there.