HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/276409-wisconsin-dnr-crazy.html)

TJD 12-22-2008 02:31 PM

RE: wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If hunter numbers drop, and harvest rates drop, and deer population increases for more than a year or so, we will likely see more EAB, possibly some double EAB (two doe for 1 buck) and possibly some doe only zones. Oh and license costs go up for those remaining hunters, and those who decide to hunt in the future.
How's that sound fellas?

The DNR is like the Grim Reaper. It will get you in the end.

Sure!...right...the DNR knows all, sees all, and should just be able to rule by decree....like a bunch of feudal lords accountable to no one.

And, under yourscenario that sort of resembles a hippie on a bad acid flash...,since the DNR has once again given hunters and landowners a certain hand gesture using a particular finger by implemening more brain-dead policies, the number of hunters drops further, the DNR loses the 30% credibility rating they now have, the deer population explodes to 5 million due to lack of hunting pressure, state legislators raise he** since spending related to deer hunting plunges, and sales of hunting licenses drop to insignificant levels resulting in a huge budget shortfall at the DNR necessitating the layoff of the morons who came up with the faulty estimates and so-called "deer management" solutions that created this mess....Hey, sounds like a perfect storm to abolish the DNR altogether!

Why wait??

wibucks 12-22-2008 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: mr.mc54

WI BUCKS:

THE WAY IT IS NOW,I WOULD BE GLAD TO SEE TWO DEER A DAY. We used to see 10-15 a day till last year . Then it went down to 1-3 deer. This year it was 2 deer all season! That is why every one is outraged with the DNR. What do you think of CWD? Are you afraid to eat the deer you take? Like I said before If it looks sick don't eat it. I hunted many years in the south east area of WI and ate the deer- it never hurt us any.
I'm really not too concerned about CWD anymore. The only difference is we bone out our meat now and don't touch the neck meat. As for hunting its pretty simple, get a doe then hunt big bucks, someone gets a buck then try to get a doe again we don't go nuts and shoot every doe that walks. I got bit in the a** once where I saw a giant buck but had to let him walk cuz no tag but I'd rather do that then have 3-4 unused buck tags at the end of the season. I talked toalot of guys in the CWD that are hunting that way now and buck tags are treated like gold and saved for bigger bucks. We're lucky and haven't seen any sick looking deer but if we did it would be killed.

mr.mc54 12-22-2008 03:48 PM

Handles-

I didn't say you have a pea brain- But if the shoe fits wear it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You take every thing any one says and misconstrues it. Every one on here seems to think the same way except you. YOU ARE the same as the DNR- always right and no exceptions. You know what? If they raise lisences , no one will buy them and then where will you and your wonderful DNR be. Shoot two does for one buck? Ha.. you are really grasping at straws now! The DNR the (GRIM REAPER) you said, that is exactly what they are . Your logic can't be comprehended by a person of normal intelligence.
(JUST LIKE THE DNR) If you don't know how to solve a problem, just make something up!!!!!!

Bukmastr 12-22-2008 04:49 PM

The main problem with the WDNR is that it is ran by the Governor... The 1st thing Adolf Doyle did when he got into office is fire all the knowledgeable DNR leaders and give all of his campaign fund raisers cushy jobs.

About the Secretary of Natural Resources
Gov. Jim Doyle appointed Madison attorney and outdoor enthusiast P. Scott Hassett as DNR secretary in January 2003.

P. Scott Hassett

P. Scott Hassett, Secretary Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
Scott Hassett came to the DNR from a 22-year career practicing law in the private sector, primarily working on employment, criminal and environmental litigation cases.
Here is a quote out of a letter "H*******" sent out to the employees of the DNR under his command after getting his cushy "no experiancve" "no wildlife education" job.

As you know, I’m an outsider in DNR. I did not come up through the ranks. I have a fresh pair of eyes. I try to ask probing questions and listen carefully. That comes from my training as a journalist and attorney. I also am a results-oriented person, and I have a mandate from the Governor to lead change in the DNR.

How about this: ( Remember, rthese uneducated Bozo buddies are the ones making the decisions )

Smith ouster is called ‘political’

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 4:44 PM EST
By Dean Bortz Editor

Madison — Several Wisconsin conservation veterans believe DNR leadership abilities took a step backward last month when DNR Deputy Secretary Bill Smith was removed as the agency’s second in command.

He is going to be replaced by the current DNR executive assistant Mary Schlaefer. She will be replaced by Randy Romanski, who is Gov. Jim Doyle’s deputy chief of staff and former executive assistant at the Department of Transportation.

Several conservation leaders did not want to be identified, but agreed that Smith’s experience and knowledge on resource issues and management will be sorely missed. They called Smith’s removal a bad move.

Former DNR secretary and current Wisconsin Wildlife Federation executive director George Meyer didn’t hide his displeasure with the decision.

“Not only is his loss of great concern, but now we have the three top people in the agency and the great majority of division administrators with four or less years of experience in the agency,” Meyer said. “While they are all fine people, this is a great loss to conservation in Wisconsin and illustrates in spades why we need to return to an agency managed by a designee of the Natural Resources Board and true professional natural resource management in this state.”

Retired Natural Resources Board member Herb Behnke, of Shawano, said DNR Secretary Scott Hassett and Doyle made a mistake in removing Smith.

“There’s no one there now who has any experience in resource management. People like Bill Smith, who have been in the field and know what’s going on, should rise to the top and be the decision makers, but that’s not happening now,” Behnke said.

“We’re not in good shape at all now, as far as resource management goes,” he said. “Bill understood the workings of the DNR, he earned the right to be there. He did a good job there in the last four years, managing the day-to-day operations of the DNR.

“Mary is a fine person, I know her. She’s a great lawyer, but she does not have any resource management background at all, Behnke said.

Lee Kernen, of Montello, is the DNR’s former fisheries chief and now a columnist for Wisconsin Outdoor News. Kernen worked with Smith when Smith was the Northwest Region director.

“Bill is a great guy and a good guy to work for. He’s the person who held the DNR together until Scott Hassett got his feet on the ground,” Kernen said.

One of the conservation leaders who wished to remain unnamed said Smith’s departure is a “huge loss.”

“It is obviously a political move. These people have no resource background - it was good to know that the second in command (Smith) had a good resource background,” one source said.

Another source added: “We have to be concerned about this. The question is, is DNR going to be a resource agency led by professional resource people? Their decisions affect everything we do, and some of these issues are incredibly complex. Who is going to be making those decisions? They may do a good job but, but should we not have some institutional history at the top?”
Behnke said Smith’s removal now brings Wisconsin conservation efforts full circle in the past 80 years.

“Eighty years ago, Aldo Leopold, Bill Aberg, and Haskell Noyes got the Legislature to separate politics from conservation decisions, but now we’re back to where politicians are making the decisions instead of career employees, and that’s not a good situation,” he said.

Doyle announced the changes in a press release late on Friday, Dec. 29, just before the long New Year’s weekend. Meyer pointed out that those types of news releases often are used by politicians who know their decisions are going to be unpopular with the public. In today’s electronic news world, that Friday announcement is long forgotten by Tuesday morning, and news outlets go on to newer, fresher stories.

“Ever wonder why these decisions are revealed the Friday before a holiday?” Meyer asked.

The news release points out that Romanski grew up fishing on the Wisconsin River, but critics of the move wonder how that translates into Romanski being able to make major natural resources management decisions.
Romanski has a master’s degree in public policy and administration from UW-Madison and worked as chief of staff for Sen. Alice Clausing. From June of 2005 through December he served as Doyle’s deputy chief of staff.

Schlaefer has no background in natural resources, but she knew Doyle when she worked in the attorney general’s office.

Smith’s future role within the DNR was not announced, but he will turn 57 this fall, making him eligible to retire from the agency.

Hassett did not return an e-mail from Wisconsin Outdoor News before press time for this issue.

“This is a real true loss to the agency and to sportsmen and women. This lack of experience at the top (of the DNR) is a true conservation travesty,” Meyer said.

Doyle's new term begins with appointments
Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle has appointed Sean Dilweg as the state's new commissioner of insurance.

Dilweg will ensure that the insurance industry continues to be a vibrant part of the Wisconsin economy
And maybe some more cash domations for the ol campain fund, eh Adolf?

Other appointments for Doyle's second term as governor, which began today, include:
- Dan Schooff as deputy secretary of the Department of Administration. Schooff most recently served as campaign manager for Doyle's reelection campaign

Patrick Henderson as the executive assistant at the Department of Administration. Henderson previously was Doyle's legislative director.

H******* (Ooops meant "Hassett" ) was appointed to Secretary of the DNR by Adolf Doyle in exchage for political favors. The article you read in the journal was placed there as a political scheme to make H******* look good in the eyes of hunters.
Plain and simple, he is a crimanal lawyer, not a wildlife expert.

I don't like the way he is threatening DNR workers to be fired if they speak up about what he is doing wrong. I also don't like his "mandate from the Gov." to loosen enviromental laws and do more to make it easier for big rich companies to polute our water and air in the name of bringing work to Wisconsin for his Boss Adolf.

The fact that he posed for a picture trolling a lure instead of a sucker for muskies, does not make him the man for the job or capable of replacing a guy who worked his way to the top of the DNR.

This is alot like Adolfs ploy to make us like his campain funding buddy Romenowski.
After firing a veteran DNR leader in order to hire Campain buddy Romanowski, he said that Romanowski would be a great leader, he fished on the wolf river once when he was a kid..... Give me a break !!!

This whole CWD thing is about ol Adolf lowering the population of deer to keep his auto insurance campain funding buddys happy.

Ihuntandfish 12-22-2008 05:13 PM

I definately agree with Handles. Even though it is legal to shoot a lot of does, hunters need to realize the harm they are causing on the deer herd. When I hear about oneperson shooting 10, 15, sometimes over 20 deer in a single season it makes me sick. These will be the same people complaining in a few years when they don't see any deer. I would never shoot a doe in northern Wisconsin, and I did go out on the doe hunt in Southeaster Wisconsin, but only because I didn't shoot a buck. That's not to say that you shouldn't be shooting does. If every hunterlimited themselves to shooting enough for themselves to eat, then we wouldn't be having these problems. However, with the DNR completelylosing control after CWD was discovered, they really haven't been giving hunter's a choice with all the earn a buck threats and seasons, so hunters feel like they're doing good by shooting lots of deer. As long as we shoot only enough deer that we will use, we can count on having a deer herd in the future. Think about your actions before shooting a bunch of deer and dumping them off at a food pantry.

mr.mc54 12-22-2008 05:23 PM

DOYL IS NOT A HUNTERS FRIEND!

ANTI GUN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now you know why the DNR is run the way they are.

Bukmastr 12-22-2008 05:29 PM

Correct... And he is putting his "anti-gun idiot" friends in the controling positions of the DNR..

If you ask me, the head DNR job should not just go to whomever is Governor, it should be a voted in position. Hunters and other people should be able to vote for the head of the DNR and hold him accountable at election time if we don't like what he does with the population, management, etc.

wibucks 12-22-2008 07:35 PM

You can say alot of things about Doyle but this isn't true. Doyle has supported the rights of hunters and to keep hunting in WI for the future. This "ANTI-GUN IDIOT" has been fighting to keep guns out of the hands of convicted felons (not sportsmen), which as a police officer I'm all for. I'm not the biggest Doyle supporter but be fair before making a blanket statement.

mr.mc54 12-22-2008 07:47 PM

HE'S AN IDIOT!

WHAT ABOUT THE RIGHT TO CARRY?

What aboutour constitution to bear arms?

What about his veto after the people of wisconsin voted for the concealed carry law?

YA , WITH FRIENDS LIKE HIM...WHO NEEDS ENEMIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT ALL COPS THINK HE IS SO GREAT!

DON'T THEY ALL SAY THEY ARE FOR HUNTERS, JUST LIKE OBAMA-TILL THEY ARE VOTED IN!

TJD 12-23-2008 07:50 AM

You can say alot of things about Doyle but this isn't true. Doyle has supported the rights of hunters and to keep hunting in WI for the future.
I'd say that this part of the discussion probably belongs on a separate thread, but...

To say that Doyle is trying to "keep hunting in WI for the future"...not sure how that matches with his tendency to raid funds from transportation and other areas to supposedly "balance the budget" is consistent with keeping hunting alive. Such funding raids mean that state agencies need to come up with money some other way (oh...say like increasing license fees for hunting, fishing, ATV's, etc.) all so that our dear governor can pay off his buddies in the teachers unions.

Trapper22 12-23-2008 07:50 AM

Handles obviously you have trouble understanding logic. I said where I live and huntwhich is right across the river from IOWA specifically CLAYTON AND ALLAMAKEE COUNTIES.
Our terrain is very similar, river bluffs, woods and ag crops. I'm comparing apples to apples as far as the deer area goes. You're right about the shotgun only part they do have that over there. They also have a ton more deer than we do. It's nothing to go over there and see 20-50 deer a night driving around the same type of areaI have over here. I usually see none in my area.My wife drives 50 miles one way to work,PDC to Platteville and sees maybe 15 livedeer a year.When I drove 20 miles to work until this year,I didn't see over 8-10 per year and that was on county roads through the woods and farmland Bagley to PDC. I work with a guy who drives every day from Mount Hope to PDC and he says he sees maybe 6 deer a year. Facts are facts and the EAB was not needed in unit 73D or 74B at all. I also work with a farmer from the cassville area who owns 300 acres of woods and farmland. He did not see a fawn this year when he was out and about working mowing hay, fixing fenceetc. That's the first time he can remember that ever happening, his neighbors were the same way. Very few deer were seen but according to the DNR we have an over abundance. Complete BS.

If you wouldcome down here and drive around in the area I hunt and then go over to Northeast Iowa and drive around there Iknow you will seemore deer in Iowathan you'll see in the area of private ground I hunt on.

I noticed you weretalking about leased ground in Iowa soyou must have missed that part when I saida persons chance is better to shoot a buck of a lifetime on public ground in IOWA than WISCONSIN. I wasn't talking about leased ground. I'll take the deer herd from CLAYTON AND ALLAMAKEE COUTIESin IOWAover GRANT AND CRAWFORD COUNTIES in WISCONSIN anyday.

Iowa does have a lot smaller kill and not as many hunters overall aswe do. Iowa also has a lot of land that is strictly agricultural and doesn't have much for cover. When you look at comparable areas like I am their deer herd is superior in numbers and size to ours. Grant/crawford is comparable to clayton/allamakeein topograghy and cover, if anything I know we have more cover over here than they do over there. The advantage should be in Wisconsins favor but it's not.

It also is funny that you mention the over harvest of deer by some people, if the DNR cared about that they would limit the number of tags that are sold. Fact of the matter is the DNR wants to completely wipe out the deer herd in wisconsin. I and the majority of other hunters want it back the way it was a few years ago when you had to apply for a hunters choice for the chance to shoot a doe.

I can use at the most 2 deer a year and amhappy with one.I don't understand the reasoning of allowing people to shootunlimited deer a year, it does not make sense and is a poor management philosophy.The ones that do that irritate me to no end, you take what you're going to use. However the DNR created that opportunity by letting them buy as many tags as they want.Part hunters fault andpart DNR.

One final question. How many pairs of ROSE COLORED GLASSES did the DNR give you?

Handles 12-23-2008 07:51 AM

Ihuntandfish,
Thanks for the vote of support. You are spot on about Doyle. While I don't agree with everything he does, he publicly supports hunting and fishing rights even though he admits he is not an avid outdoorsman.
I'm sure you have noticed that some people on this forum are against theDNR yet are also against theidea that hunters should have anyself control in their harvest efforts. They think that if extra tags are available, that the DNR is forcing people to pull the trigger on multiple deer. They don't realize thatevery individual hunteris in control of the bullet's path.
It is alsoquite frightninghow mr.mc54 jumps down your throat after you mention that you would prefer that convicted felons don't have firearms, and says "not all cops think he's so great". I re-read your statement several times, First of all, I agree with you 100%. Convicted felons should not have firearms,and I didn't see where you ever said anything related to all cops thinking he's great like he implied.But get used to it. On several occasions I used the word "some" which he comprehended as "all".
It is possible thatmr.mc54 has some seriousemotional issue. I suspecthe realizes this and tries to compensate for his inadiquacies by yelling a lot (notice how he uses bold/underline/and capitals to "yell" online?). Don't worry, people like that are rarely taken seriously, but I am concerned that he wants to carry a concealed wepon. As a police officer, I'm sure you are one of the first people to think that maybe not everyone should have a loaded weapon in their posession.
Good luck hunting and fishing, and thanks for doing the important job that you do.

TJD 12-23-2008 08:40 AM

I'm sure you have noticed that some people on this forum are against theDNR yet are also against theidea that hunters should have anyself control in their harvest efforts.
NO ONE SAID THAT OR EVEN REMOTELY INFERRED THAT HUNTERS SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY SELF-CONTROL!!! But hey, if it makes you feel better to make stuff up to support your feeble arguments, so be it!

They think that if extra tags are available, that the DNR is forcing people to pull the trigger on multiple deer. They don't realize thatevery individual hunteris in control of the bullet's path.
Again...NO!!! Nice attempt at spin though...did you work for the Clinton Administration during the Lewinsky scandal?? EAB IS a case of the DNR forcing people to pull the trigger, and of forcing hunters to choose a different path for their bullet. That from our DNR!...

Don't worry, people like that are rarely taken seriously,...
Neither are people who suffer from what is known in psychiatric circles as transferrence...those who attribute their own inability to logically respond to factual rebuttal to others...you know, people like you!!

Ihuntandfish,
Thanks for the vote of support. You are spot on about Doyle. While I don't agree with everything he does, he publicly supports hunting and fishing rights even though he admits he is not an avid outdoorsman.
Different poster put up the piece about Doyle. I thought you said

I re-read your statement several times,
?

Yeah, our governor is a real champ for sportsmen! As of 2006, we started spending more on interest payments to service state debt than we spend on our natural resources budget. There is a real friend of hunters!

Haus/WI 12-23-2008 08:44 AM

You guys are hilarious. Comparing Iowa to Wisconsin? You want their deer harvest?You are already complaining about our 300K or so harvest!The ****ing on here would be unreal if we had Iowa's herd. Iowa harvests only about 120,000 deer per year. Thereare only about 250,000 hunters total, and almost the entire state is shotgun only. Go hunt there if you want. just make sure you apply for your out of state tag for about 3 years in advance.
To say Iowa has better hunting is nuts. Sure there are places where it is outstanding, such as the private land/leases that you see on T.V., and there are some big deer in other areas of the state, no question. Low averagehuman population, low# of hunters, and shotgun only helps getage on the bucks, something that I would like to see more of here.But as far as numbers of deer, numbers of bucks, numbers of big bucks, Wisconsin stomps all over Iowa, just check P&Y, B&C, or SCI record books. Handles,I think it's safe to assume you have never hunted in Iowa.

mr.mc54 12-23-2008 08:56 AM

HANDLES-

I HAVE A RIGHT TO CARRY, THANK YOU!

If you take the guns out of law abiding citizens hands , the criminals will still have guns.
This debate belongs on another thread but to answer your ranting and babling I believe our forefathers meant exactly what they said in the constitution.

When I said not all cops are against concealed carry, I meant exactly that. I didn't degrade the police officer, I stated a fact. I come from a family that has Chief Detectives, Sheriff Deputies and Military Police officers( many of which have served our country to protect us and our CONSTITUTION! So now handles remember that some of us on here may know a little bit about keeping you and yours safe.

Do you belong to the NRA or are they wrong to fight for our freedoms? Lets stay within the bounds of this thread.
IHAVE AND WILL DEFEND OUR COUNTRY TO PROTECT EVEN YOU, SO YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY ANYTHING YOU WISH!

I LOST A BROTHER DEFENDING OUR GREAT COUNTRY-WHAT HAVE YOU GIVEN?

Handles 12-23-2008 09:03 AM

Trapper 22,
I know the areas you are talking about, My sister lived in Lancaster, I spent many days hunting ducks in Bagley, We often drive the Iowa side of the state when going to my father-in-laws farm in Dubuque Co (which I hunt). But if you insist on being right, here are the numbers, these are based off of the 2008 harvest of iowa, and 2007 harvest in Wisconsin (2008 numbers are not available yet) I estimated conservatively because zones do not share county lines (I totally excluded zones 75c and 75d which are partly in Grant county which should account for any"extra" harvestof the other zones that may drift out of Crawford or Grant county lines).
Doe Buck Total
Alamakee County 1821 1401 3549 (button bucksnot listed as buck/doe, but are added in total)
Clayton County339720716134
-----------------------------------------------
Iowa Totals5218 3472 9683
Zone 74B32331958 5197
Zone 73D1829 9592800
Zone 73E 3658 1627 5296
Zone 73B 1847 1222 3074
-----------------------------------------------
WI totals 10,567 5766 16,367

So Trapper, how do those numbers work for your theory that there are more Iowadeer in virtually identical areas of the two states? You still wanttheir numbers?Gossip you hear at the coffee shop or feed mill, or talking to buddies at work do not equate to facts. Finding the facts before spouting off your mouth is a pretty simple thing to do, it's called "google".
You would have to eliminate all of 74B (in the heart of Crawford County) to become equal. You must also remember that Wisconsin has had more hunters in Crawford and Grant counties shooting more deer for yearsand years over the Iowa counties on both public and private land, yet we stillkeep harvestingmore deer than them. Did we in 2008? well, the numbers will tell, and I wouldn't be suprised if 2008 is down due to the harvest of over 10,000 doe last year, but again some of that is on the hunters who take more than their fair share. However 2006,2005,2004, 2003, 2002,2001, and I'll predict 2009,has been and will bea much better harvest ofboth bucks and doe in Wisconsin.The greenest grass is right here, but go ahead and hunt there. I hope you get the buck of your dreams.

Handles 12-23-2008 09:15 AM

Mr. mc54.
I personally think you are crazier than a sh*t house rat, and giving you a concealed weapon would cause more harm than good. The one thing I agree with you is that none of this belongs on a wisconsin deer hunting thread. But if you need tobrag about an effingbody count to make yourself feel better, no I never lost a brother, I never had one. Does 2 high school buddies, 1 cousin, 1 uncle, and 4 former students work for you, slimeball?

mr.mc54 12-23-2008 11:59 AM

HANDLES-

Your logic is funny! It's the best jibberish I have ever read. You are all over the place, mixing posts up and saying things out of context. Why don't you just admit it, you don't know what you are talking about in regards to this thread.You are the onlyone that can take a bunch of numbers and throw them in with a bunch of jibberish and try to sell it as a fact.

WHAT DID YOU TEACH, english OR PERHAPS ethics?

ISUPPOSE DOYLE APPOINTED YOU TO TEACH WHAT A S..T HOUSE RAT IS AND HOW IT ACTS !

HOW DOES SLIMEBALL PERTAIN TO S..T HOUSE RAT? (I was just wondering since you are such an educated scholar.)

YOU KNOW IT ALL IN REGARDS TO DEER HUNTING, NOW PERHAPS, LET ME TWEAK YOUR GENIOUS MIND!

DO YOU FEEL BETTER NOW AFTER CALLING ME NAMES? THE JOKES ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trapper22 12-23-2008 12:16 PM

75D has a very small sliver in grant, very small. As far as 75C I think you're a little off unless you want to count that small of a sliver. Grant county doesn't go to the other side of Dodgeville it ends at Montfort, 15 miles west of Dodgeville. You have to include a couple more counties in IA then. Also take into consideration that73E also encompasses a large chunk of Iowa county. Part of 73B is also a CWD area, although a rather small area.You also are dealing with a CWD zonearea where the DNRs philosophy is kill them all. Do you have any figures for 74B, 73D, and the non CWD area of 73B? If you want to talk land areavs land area with Allamakee and Clayton county see what you come up with. Remember I believe Grant county WI is the largest county in the state. Iowa doesn't have the amount of hunters we do not even close but it's hard to find a disappointedhunter over there as far as the number of deer they see in a years time.

I don't think you realize that yes I do hunt and am out in the woods quite a bit. I do know landowners and huntersin Iowa as well. I also drive and walkaround my hunting area in Wisconsin and I know there are more deer in the same type area in Iowa than in WI. It's not gossip it's fact. I have driven around in clayton county and have seen the deer and I have walked thewoods in IAand seen way more sign over there than over here. I know there may be pockets of higher deer densities but in my huntingarea which is primarily 73D I haven't talked to a person yet that thinks we have an overpopulation problem it's been the opposite. The kill may go up for a year or two as people are forced to shoot does to get a buck tag but in a couple years we're going to be in a sad state of affairs worse than what we have now.

Let's compare apples to apples not oranges. If the DNR has done such a great job why are so many hunters upset? Why do so many say the same thing over and over, they're not seeing the deer period. If weoverhaul the DNR itwould be the best thing for this state.Fire every deer counter and analyst they have. Anyone involved with the deer counting process is history.

I don't horn hunt and am happy with getting one adult deer a year. At most I can use 2 a year but I quite often am done after one. I will keep hunting to try and help move deer for other people. In my area I usually only get one chance at a deer per year because I just don't see many.

Tell the pinheads in Madison that we're having the start of another harsh winter which will hurt the deer herd and the does that do make it through may not be dropping 2 fawns each. With a winter like last year it hurt the population, asa lot ofdoes had only one if any at all. When they get stressed that happens. They talked about a harsh winter for Northern WI last year but failed to mention that he southern part of the state had record snowfall and cold. I'm telling you that because it's common sense and that seems to lacking with the DNR.

mr.mc54 12-23-2008 01:30 PM

Trapper22:

What is the plan in IOWA about CWD. Are they on a eradication course? I hunt in Wyoming and South Dakota and I have heard little if anything in regards to CWD. I have read alot of your posts, and agree with you. I just don't know how many hunters will get envolved at the spring meetings. This bothers me cause this is a cross road for our deer herd. The deer on my farm and other leased land we have is minimal. We went out to look for tracks yesterday and found maybe 4 sets of tracks. The deer usually herd up on my 160 acres and it would not be unusual to see deer not just tracks. The deer used to be in the numbers of 15-20 head. Now look what we have. I think every one on here except a very few has reported that the herd is minimal. Not many are willing to let this trend continue, yet will they step forward and say enough is enough and take action. Why is it that so many are so unhappywith the DNR and they justturn a deaf ear. If we could just be heard and have someone from the DNR listen to everyone who is fed up with this, It would be worth it. Maybe this spring they will.

Handles 12-23-2008 01:50 PM

Trapper,
I didn't include 75D or 75C at all because I knew that only a small portion of those zones were in Grant. If you don't want to include 73E either, then disregardthose 5,000 or so deer,which would also account for any extra harvested in the the cwd area. We are still about 2000 more deer harvested in aproximately the same land area, apples for apples,and it wasn't just for 2007, it was for every year leading up to that.Wisconsin is probably the best state in the nation for raising deer, and record books, and harvest recordspretty much prove it.
I also doubt that all ofIowa hunters are happy this year as their harvest dropped to 117,000 total, from a high two years ago of 188,000. So perhaps some of the thingsour DNRsaid about low harvest numbersregarding the weather, hunting effort, hunting styles is true, as just across the stream, they also are having a down year. SomeIowa hunters are probably happy because their overall deer population is still slowly rising, while ours has stabilized or dropped slightly. They only have 250K hunters statewide, that's a drop in the bucket to our 840,000,so there is much lesshunting pressure overall, so it is easier forsaid hunters to see deer. Heckeven private land is stillfairly easy to access there. So overall fewer things to complain about.
So if you want it to be like Iowa lets do these things:
1. Limit to 250,000 licenses (or there abouts)
2. go shotgun only
3. Have an application and drawing for non-residents.
You seem like an intelligent guy, and I agree with your 1-2 deer per season. That's my personal max as well. I just can't use any more than that. But can you imagine what the guys on this forum and in this state would do if we tried to incorporate any one of the three items listed above? You think they are mad hunters now??

Trapper22 12-23-2008 02:16 PM

Iowa has done spot testing for CWD but as far as I've heard no positive results have come back. I hope they wouldn't try to cure it the bang up way WI has which has been a series of missteps. There is no cure for it anyway.As far as eradicating them, no they actually are wondering if they need the extra antlerless seasons because the kill was down some for the regular shotgun seasons.

Now the states out west that have CWD as far as I know have never tried to completely decimate the deer herd. It's an impossible task anyway. Unfortunately the WI DNR didn't understand that. It's common sense that you can't kill every deer as people out of the cities or other non hunters own some of the land and won't let anyone in there. You may kill the deer on one farm but what about the ones on the land next doorthat doesn't get hunted.That is so easy to understand but it's out of the DNRs grasp. I never once read or heard anywhere that Colorado was trying to kill every deer in the state to stop CWD. They've had it what since the 60's?

The CWD is in the soil if I'm not mistaken so unless the DNR starts running around with dozers and excavators and stripping the ground it's going to be here. I probably shouldn't say that as the boneheads willdecide that's the new plan of attack.

I thinkCWD has been here forever and will be here forever. It doesn't faze me and I'll continue to eat the deer I harvest unless it appears to be sick. That goes back to the common sense issue. A lot of people that spend time in the woods have seen or taken deer that appeared sickly and I doubt if they've been dumb enough to eat it. If it appears sickly or infected don't consume it period. I like venison loin chops aswell as anyone but I wouldn't take the chance on a knowingly sick deer.

I like most other hunters want the deer herd numbers back up where they should be. It appearsthe CWD and EABfiascois just an excuse to please the auto insurance companies. I still saw more deer in themid80's to the early90's than I see now.

Trapper22 12-23-2008 02:51 PM

Non resident application I could do as well as shotgun only if it increases the deer herd. As far as the 250,000 licenses that might be a little more difficult obviously. People want to hunt but if you limit them in how many can hunt or go once every 3 years that's a little tougher. A lot of people would lose interest myself included. You also have to rememberWisconsin has a lot more deer area as far as woods than Iowa. It's interesting you bring up 840,000 licenses sold.What's the DNRs goal for the herd 1 million? So the average hunter can expect to see about 1 deer per year in the near future and if they shoot that one then the population is quicklydone for!!! I guess that's one way to eliminate hunting and huntersthat the liberal democratsin Madison don't like.

I know that area over there doesn't have as many hunters as we do in my counties but they also have a muchbetter chance of tagging a deer as they have more deer per hunter than we do. However the DNR over there is not trying to kill off an entire herd like the WI DNR is. That is my argument I still say that Clayton and Allamakee counties have more deer than Crawford and my area of Grant in WI. I can make the same walks and drives in the 2 areas and will see far more deer in Iowa than WI.

If a non resident tag wasn't so expensive in Iowa I would go over there in a heartbeat. I've spent time in both areas and know which one is better.I wish this house I'm in right now was in Iowa. The WI DNR has messed up the hunting that bad in my area. It's one of my few hobbies and one that I enjoy doing but going out and not seeing anything or only a few deer a year weighs on a person. I quickly see one of the things I've done all my lifedying off do to mismanagement.

Handles we will never agree on this issue but in this area in talking to several hunters most agree with me. The deer population is not what the DNR says it is.

cayugad 12-23-2008 02:57 PM

Well I see this thread going no where anymore. I know what I believe. IMO it boils down to poor deer herd management of the DNR. Because of this there are very low numbers of deer in certain areas. Granted some hunters were greedy and shot more doe then they needed. I guess human nature is human nature. But there were a lot of us when FORCED to shoot a doe first, did so, but then hunted only for a monster buck because we had our venison for the year.

I think the choice is simple. If your happy in the way the DNR has wiped out the deer herd, keep buying a license. Support their failing policies. If not happy, don't buy a license for two or three years. Let the herd catch their breath and come back a little. Also, as a landowner (which I am) stop all hunting on your property or crossing of your property for those that want to hunt through it. For instance unless your a good swimmer or like to walk through a swamp,to get to good ground in the National, you need to cross my land, or take a long walk.... Well guess what??? Basically lock upthe DNR's pocket book until it hurts. Then and only then will they get the message. Then and only then, can we take back the herd. If other programs have to suffer, so be it.

The DNR and their supporters will always be those that refuse to accept responsibility for the poor management of the herd and blame anything or anyone they can. Its to be expected. No one likes to admit they screwed up. After all people might stop buying a license and stop their paycheck. Well that's exactly what we need to do. Shut down their funding, and in the hard times our country is experiencing, the DNR will be forced to shut down programs instead of look for other places for funding.

Lets hope also this hard winter and deep snow in the north will not wipe out the herd in places. The deer are yarding according to loggers. And with decreased numbers the more that die, will be that much harder on the herd. Also I am sure the timber wolves will move in and help themselves to the yard deer. But I am sure the DNR has all this taken into consideration. And the insurance companies will rejoice...

mr.mc54 12-23-2008 03:00 PM

Trapper I have heard that in texas they really have a problem with CWD and the ranchers down there go out and look for the dead deer. When they find them they burn the remains so the healthy deer don't come in contact with them. I have not heard if they are overly concerned other than what you said to make sure the deer looks healthy and use caution when butchering them. I know alot of guys go down there to hunt because they have some nice bucks and the weather is nice after our season is over. We in the midwest have some of the nicest deer in the states. I think that is why every one is so upset to see what has been a trend, our deer numbers going down. That disease has more or less been with us since the beginning of time. It is very similar to mad-cow disease in signs and symtoms. Niether disease has been connected to a transfer to humans. The DNR totally over reacted on CWD. I have a friend that lives in northeast Iowa and he has tagged two very large bucks, near(Waukon) I don't know if the spelling is correct.

cayugad 12-23-2008 03:23 PM

Some states reported an out break of blue tongue.. Where the deer crave water. Lets hope that does not find its way here..

mr.mc54 12-23-2008 04:05 PM

I thought you were kidding- I looked it up and it said it affects deer in sub-tropical states.
Nasty stuff it looks like!
We shouldn't have to worry about that here just the DNR.

Do you attend the meetings in the spring? I think there will be a lot of angry deer hunters there!

Trapper22 12-23-2008 04:13 PM

Mr.mc54 I have never hunted in Iowa, the non resident license is too high. I have walked around some farms inthe area over there and driven around in the evenings with a freind that I work with. That'swhy I've seen the deer and deer sign in that area. I could have land to hunt on over there pretty easily as I do know some landowners but I can't afford the N/R tag.It's funny you mention Waukon that's where my wife is from. My inlaws are there.

My brother in laws freind was a holder of the state record bow kill a few years ago, he got knocked out by someone else though. Deer scoring 160 to 200 are not uncommon around there. Allamakee ranks as the number 1 county in the state for record book deer and Clayton is in 3rd I think. I read that article in Iowa Fish and Game.

TJD 12-23-2008 08:45 PM

Well I see this thread going no where anymore. I know what I believe. IMO it boils down to poor deer herd management of the DNR. Because of this there are very low numbers of deer in certain areas. Granted some hunters were greedy and shot more doe then they needed. I guess human nature is human nature. But there were a lot of us when FORCED to shoot a doe first, did so, but then hunted only for a monster buck because we had our venison for the year.
Couldn't have said it better. Well done!

And just to reiteratesome points I made several pages back:
[ul][*]If there really is an overpopulation issue in the Wisconsin deer herd, the DNR helped create it. Making hunters apply for hunters choice, apply for doe tags, then go to the late 90's and hand out two antlerless tags per hunter per day (Handles...you were talking about some hunters who shoot multiple deer and that being a problem??? Look what state agency made it possible!).[*]No, deer management is not easy, but that is not an excuse to give the DNR a pass on missing by two or three standard deviations what the deer population of the state is. Hunters and landowners have been saying for several years now that there were not the deer the DNR insisted there were. Each year, we were basically told to not believe our own eyes.[*]The DNR needs to find a way to work with hunters and landowners. A bunch of number crunchers sitting in nice, air conditioned, taxpayer-funded offices in Madison should not have sole authority to determine wildlife management policy. WE PAY THEM!! THEY WORK FOR US!![/ul]
And now to change the subject ever so slightly...WHAT THE HECK HAS HAPPENED TO THE PACKERS??? (And no, I do not blame the DNR for that! :D)

mr.mc54 12-24-2008 07:07 AM

Da packers done took a dive!

It must be Favre's fault!

He put the southern hex on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr.mc54 12-25-2008 05:10 PM

I am in with neighboring farms and we are'nt letting any one hunt on our land and we are'nt buying a deer lisc. next year. The deer will have 2000 acres as a refuge from the DNR.

If 20% of the hunters don't buy a lisc. next year, the lost revenue will get their attention. (Not just deer liscense but the lost revenue on all other goods hunters buy. ) It will take us 1-2 years and then we will manage the deer herd our selves.

Some will say not possible-watch and see!

GO TO THE SPRING MEETINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr.mc54 12-27-2008 10:01 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kidrogers 01-05-2009 02:17 PM

I know the feeling, we are a t-zone, earn a buck area. At first we were told it was going to be every other year, last lasted two seasons. It has been earn a buck for the last 4 years now! I am happy with the doe meat, but I would love to have a rack every so often.

mr.mc54 01-06-2009 03:04 PM

Thats how our DNR and Government Works-

TELL YOU ONE THING AND DO ANOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!