HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Bloomington, IL hunting store (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/273442-bloomington-il-hunting-store.html)

GrandSlamHunter 11-13-2008 06:19 PM

Bloomington, IL hunting store

I fly into Bloomington on Saturday and need to pick up some cold weather gear before heading to my lease in Mt. Sterling. Are there any good hunting stores in the Bloomington area? Thanks for your help.

Vogt_51 11-13-2008 09:24 PM

RE: Bloomington, IL hunting store

I was just in Bloomington yesterday. For actual cold gear and stuff like that, your best bet is probably Dick's Sporting Goods. Its on the north side of Veterans Parkway over by I-55. I just stopped by a bow/gun/hunting shop called Smiley's to pick up some (somewhat local, Eureka, IL) deer farm Doe Urine. He carries TONS of hunting stuff, but I do not know about actual clothes or cold gear. It is located near Veterans Parkway on Ireland Grove road a couple blocks south of State Farm.

I used to live down in Bloomington/Normal, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

.:Deerfly:. 11-14-2008 06:37 AM

Use to live there too...parents still do.

To get to Dick's from the airport: Take Rt. 9 west towards Veteran's Parkway. Go North on Veterans Parkway. Dick's will be the next light after College Avenue. You'll be turning right at the light. Super Walmart is right next to Dick's if you are looking for anything else.

There is also Farm and Fleet on the far west side of Bloomington. It's actually on Rt. 9, but completely opposite of town from the airport. I think Dick's and Walmart would be your best bet.

It's been awhile since I've been to Smiley's. I don't know if they would have much apparrel though. It's South on Veteran's Parkway off of Rt. 9 from the airport. Then Ireland Grove will be on your left after the Mercer Ave. light.

Smiley's: 2049 Ireland Grove Rd, Bloomington, IL‎ - (309) 663-1133‎

Chris

GrandSlamHunter 11-14-2008 07:06 AM

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll swing by Dick's and Walmart. It' gonna be some of the coldest weather I've ever hunted whitetails in.

.:Deerfly:. 11-14-2008 07:08 AM

If you don't mind me asking...where are you going?

Chris

GrandSlamHunter 11-14-2008 07:43 AM

Mt. Sterling area. For a Georgia boy, this will be a cold week. I've hunted mulies, elk, and moose in colder weather, but not whitetails. It's the constant wind that Illinois has that gets me!

.:Deerfly:. 11-14-2008 12:19 PM

Well, good luck and stay warm!!!

Chris

YooperMike 11-17-2008 12:58 PM

I'm late on this post, but the options in Bloomington are pretty limited, terrible actually. For the number of people and amount of money in this area, you would think there would be a decent store. The Gander in Peoria sucks, Smiley's is a joke, and D i c k s is obscene on their prices for the most part. You can go to Farm and Fleet to get some stuff, but clothing that is decent is hard to come by.

IL_BOW_MAN 11-17-2008 03:20 PM

I have to agree with Mike on this. I typically order my stuff just because the selection around the bloomington area stinks. The Big R in Pontiac carries a decent line of stuff. They are kind of a reseller for Bass Pro...so the prices aren't great...but it is a decent selection.

Vogt_51... How much does the deer urine from Eureka run? My buddy has deer and he buys his feed from that guy. I might actually be over there tomorrow or wednesday.

Vogt_51 11-17-2008 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: IL_BOW_MAN

I have to agree with Mike on this. I typically order my stuff just because the selection around the bloomington area stinks. The Big R in Pontiac carries a decent line of stuff. They are kind of a reseller for Bass Pro...so the prices aren't great...but it is a decent selection.

Vogt_51... How much does the deer urine from Eureka run? My buddy has deer and he buys his feed from that guy. I might actually be over there tomorrow or wednesday.
IL_BOW_MAN,
Its odd that you mentioned Pontiac because thats where I am living now. You are very right on the recommendation of Big R. Its a pretty decent place for being such an unknown place in a smaller town. I actually just bought a Flambeau Master Series Buck from them from the same price as Cabela's I think.

As for the deer urine from Smiley's.....It is Hunzicker's(sic) and cost $13 I am pretty sure. He keeps it in the fridge as well and at the current time he is selling the "hot" version, which I believe is estrus. Hope this helps.