Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Ill guys ever heard of Mike Jackson? >

Ill guys ever heard of Mike Jackson?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ill guys ever heard of Mike Jackson?

Old 10-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ill guys ever heard of Mike Jackson?

Well, Mike Jackson is a outdoors writer for the Daily Herald, and he had a tidbit in the paper today reminding everybody to be careful while out driving do to increased deer activity. He thinks the rut is going to start earlier than expected. What is everyone's opinion on this? I have only been out once so far and did not notice anything to possibly back this up...
Old 10-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ill guys ever heard of Mike Jackson?

I haven't seen him before but I will have to watch out for him now. I haven't seen anything that will indicate that. Infact the weather is going to be unseasonably warm for awhile now. Unless we get a dramatic change soon I don't see that happening. In fact I have been seeing way less deer this year then years past.

Where in NE IL are you from?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Spike

I have never heard of him but what are his reasons for the rut being early? Is the ammount of daylight going drastically change or any of the other factors that go into the timing of the rut being altered? I think we hear this type of comment every season and the thing usually happens about the same time around here give or take a week or so. I would like to hear his reasoning before I buy into it and get all hyped about when it is going to start.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

He didn't go into any detail for his predictions. Guess he justtake any info he gets and makes a guess. I have meet him before a couple times at an ice fishing tourmanent he held at the chain of lakes a few years back. Ipersonally don't buy into what he is saying. Still t oearly in my opinion to predict when the rut will start whether it is early or on time. With this goofy weather it just might be late!
And JFergus7I live in Carol Stream, which isn't to for from where you are at. My buddy and I hunt in Jodavies, we are heading out again on Sat. morning to see if things are jumping...
Old 10-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt western IL and have seen no indication of an early rut. However, there still is soooo much corn still up, it's hard to be sure.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

With this warm weather were having, I can't see how the rut would start early, I was actually thinking it might be delayed a bit. I think the weather her said we shout hit the upper 70's this weekend and its mid october. Hopefully this gentleman was putting that warning out early just in case the deer start moving a little early. My opinion and from what I have heard from others, were still a little bit away.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

it's like buck ter. said The sun, or lack of daylight is what makes deer rut. The only thing I can think he may be thinking is with the time change being later this year, could be more people on the road at low light hours. The cold weather can make them move more to find food, but wont make'''''em rut any sonner.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BUCKMARK

Well, Mike Jackson is a outdoors writer for the Daily Herald, and he had a tidbit in the paper today reminding everybody to be careful while out driving do to increased deer activity. He thinks the rut is going to start earlier than expected. What is everyone's opinion on this? I have only been out once so far and did not notice anything to possibly back this up...
Guys, the rut happens the same time year in and year out. We hear thisevery year about the rut going to come in early or late. I'm telling you the deerdo their thing at thesame time every year.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

I too work for the Daily Herald and when it comes to fishing, Mike Jackson, seems to be an authority. On the other hand, I would not call himauthority when it comes to deer hunting and rutting activity. I read the same thing in the Sun Times today so it must have been an AP thing that all the papers decided to run today. I don't forsee this year being a whole lot different from any other year.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Too early for the rut in Illinois. And I don't need a newspaper writer telling me to be carefull while driving. If you drive in Illinois you best have one eye on the road and the other cris crossing back and forth from ditch to ditch. Them damn deer are everywhere and you can expect to see them anytime you drive.

Quick Reply: Ill guys ever heard of Mike Jackson?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.