Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Standing corn/Wood line HELP!    Iowa >

Standing corn/Wood line HELP! Iowa

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Standing corn/Wood line HELP! Iowa

Old 10-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Standing corn/Wood line HELP! Iowa

Im currently bow hunting a fence line on the edge of a timber. One side standing corn the other timber. I put up my stand thinking the deer are going too walk the edge of the cornfield(along the fence line). Tonite was my first night hunting for the year seen a few turkeys moving in the corn, that wander off. About 6:00 a small doe comes running full blast about three row inn. About 15 minuted later I see 3 does w/ a nice 8 pt in the timber behind me about 40 yds. So my question is what would you do ? I dont have permission yet too hunt the timber behind my stand. Do you think these deer are gonna move along it or is this spot gonna be better when the corn gets picked?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Standing corn/Wood line HELP! Iowa

Standing corn provides both food and cover - something a picked cornfield cannot do.......
Old 10-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

So i guess ill be patient and see what it brings!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Yep, too early to tell. I always give a stand several chances before moving it.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

I am close to a corn filed as well, from what I have seen is that the deer stand at the edge of the timber until its dark when the corn filed is picked, when it’s not picked I haven’t seen any deer since they have so much cover. At least the farmers have half of the filed picked that I am hunting next to but all crops are still in. I have heard that it will be a late harvest this year since this spring was so wet, they couldn’t get in the fields as early as the wanted. Depending on you area this could make bow hunting more challenging, if the crops are out by Nov you should be okay however…
Old 10-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would leave your stand where it is. Try to get permission to hunt the timber if you can. When the corn is picked, the deer will be moving into the timber for cover during the day. Until that time, stay put. It's hard to tell where you may see the next buck appear. If you get permission to hunt the timber, put another stand ( or use a climber) in there. If they don't cut the corn until shotgun season, I would be in my stand in the timber when they were cutting!!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah they picked the filed next to me when I was in my stand but nothing came by, but when I came out of the woods I saw that they only picked half of the field… so that may explain why noting came past me.

I would keep your stand where it is until the corn is picked, if you have an early muzzle tag that would be a great place to sit, you can see a long ways and are somewhat close to the timber line which is where the big boys hang out until it gets dark enough. They like to let the Doe’s come out first (kinds like bait if you will)

I hunted lost last season when it was post rut, and it never failed the big bucks always came out after dark, when I couldn’t see… Smart SOB’s

So I thought of putting a stand deeper in the timber since this is where they were during the day but the season ran out before I got the opportunity. Oh well still worth it.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Saturday morning I hunted the stand didnt see no movement took sunday off was way too hot like 80 degrees. So anyway Well I got permission too hunt the timber behind me so im gonna get a stand in there till atleast the corn is picked. There not going too pick till the the first week of November or the first frost. (Sunset) So once they get the corn down do you think that theyll be in the field before dark? or set up in the woods and ambush them on the way too the field??
(Sunrise) When hunting the morning, The deer should be feeding in the field all night correct? So the stand on the edge of the field should be good for the morning?? thanks IA
Old 10-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Fork Horn

Ive hunted a cornfield for the past 4 years in Iowa. 80% of the time i go out, the deer are out in the field before sunset. They usually start coming into the field about an hour before sunset, thats when ive seen the most action.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah some deer will stroll out there but the big one like to skirt the edge of the timber until most of the light is down. If you put your stand just on the inside of the timber so you can see out in the open and into the woods that may be ideal, but the wind can tell you if you should or shouldn’t hunt that spot… If you can get the wind to come from the woods out into the field that may be the best but I would have to look at the set up… The deer will smell you just do what you can to lower you sent signature as much as possible (I don’t believe in the sent lock clothes) but do like the “dead down wind” stuff (not endorsing) but if a doe rats you out then you may be had… Doe’s always seem to get down wind of me before the big buck get close enough for a shot…

Quick Reply: Standing corn/Wood line HELP! Iowa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.