HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Ohio Remote checkin stations...2010? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/266352-ohio-remote-checkin-stations-2010-a.html)

Hotburn76 10-04-2008 12:24 PM

Ohio Remote checkin stations...2010?

Was reading the recent issue of Ohio Outdoor News and looks like there may be some changes in 2010. They want to save money andstate that they currently spend 8 million on license's dispensing units. They admit that is not hunters dollars well spent. Sotheywill require license sellers to provide there own equipment and allow them to charge up to one dollar for doing so. Part of that catch is if you sell license you must also check in deer.They do not say why, assume maybe they figure there will be less check in stations, but they will offer "remote" check in for deer, which will be online based through the DNR's website. It does not say if online will be archery only or open to gun, would assume it will be archery only since they are really strict during gun around my area. Just wander how much poaching this will open up, looks like a lot more wifes and grandparents will be checking in deer!

Just curious if anyone else heard about this. Ohio Outdoor New is a newspaper based bi-weekly print of Ohio hunting and fishing. I used to get Ohio Game and fish, but that is written by people IMO that know very little about hunting and sometimes I think they get there info from theDNR's web site.OON has great stories written by local people and lots more info in it from the DNR.

www.ohiooutdoornews.com

TristateHunter.com 10-05-2008 08:02 PM

RE: Ohio Remote checkin stations...2010?

wow..thats interesting..I dont think it will effect the wifes and grandparents checking in tho..I mean.. i know it happens alot not to hard to get them to take an often short drive to the check station as is... I'm not sure i like the idea of online checking..if people can check in online.. i'm wondering who will be ensuring some yahoo's arent using guns during archery season.. they may have a problem in the wings if they dont come up with something to keep that from happening..

Hotburn76 10-05-2008 08:36 PM

Thats mainly what I was worried about, the increase in poachers trying to be somewhat legal. The only thing I can figure is the way the deer numbers are going up they are not worried about it. I am sure other states have data for Ohio on how many deer a not legal but checked in like this. I know our numbers keep going up and soon the deer will grow faster then the hunters can control them, maybe to late now, I am just waiting for the earn a buck method to show up, hopefully it don't for a while. 2010 is a long way out, they could change their mind, who knows.

TristateHunter.com 10-06-2008 10:42 AM

I think the better method would be to get more hunters... last year in Gallia county it seemed like no one was hunting gun season..compared to previous years...it was warmer than usual.. but still.. I think some programs to encourage youth hunting would be a better solution for the long run. Also, some programs to help get people into bow hunting, these would be better not only for the sport.. but for future generations IMO. opening up loop holes for poachers will hurt the sport more than help it.
Earn a buck.. will upset alot of us...but it would definately get people to shoot a doe.. wich alot of people dont want to do these days.. everyone is looking for that trophy ... I think I could live with it.

mossberghunter93 10-08-2008 02:07 PM

will that be good?