Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Michigan legislature takes action on baiting ban! >

Michigan legislature takes action on baiting ban!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Michigan legislature takes action on baiting ban!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Michigan legislature takes action on baiting ban!

Rep. Sheltrown offered the following concurrent resolution:
House Concurrent Resolution No. 96.
A concurrent resolution to urge the Director of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and the Natural Resources Commission to lift the ban on deer baiting in the Lower Peninsula and to take certain actions to protect the health of the state's deer herd.
Whereas, The state of Michigan adopted the Michigan Surveillance and Response Plan for Chronic Wasting Disease in 2002. The plan calls for an immediate ban on baiting and supplemental feeding of cervids in a peninsula of this state in which chronic wasting disease (CWD) is found; and
Whereas, In August 2008, chronic wasting disease was confirmed in a three-year old privately owned white tail deer at a captive cervid ranch in Kent County. Pursuant to the Michigan Surveillance and Response Plan for Chronic Wasting Disease, the Director of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources immediately issued an interim order banning the baiting and feeding of deer in Michigan's Lower Peninsula; and
Whereas, It is now known that all of the other deer at the Kent County ranch have tested negative for chronic wasting disease. The epidemiology investigation of the infected deer has not shown the presence of chronic wasting disease at related captive cervid operations, and chronic wasting disease has not been shown to be present in Michigan's free ranging deer population; and
Whereas, Broad baiting bans have not been shown to be an effective means to control chronic wasting disease, leading states such as Wisconsin to not implement broad baiting bans to stop the spread of the disease; and
Whereas, A broad ban on baiting in Michigan's Lower Peninsula is anticipated to result in lowered participation in the 2008 archery and firearms deer seasons, resulting in a decreased rate of harvest; and
Whereas, Many of the deer management units in Michigan, particularly in the southern Lower Peninsula, are already over-populated; and
Whereas, A decreased rate of harvest would result in greater deer density in the wild deer population and an increased rate of motorized vehicle collisions with deer with the potential for the loss of human life; and
Whereas, A ban on baiting throughout the entire Lower Peninsula for 2008 would result in millions of dollars of economic cost to farmers and retailers and would result in a wide ranging loss of employment and the ruin of some small markets, stores, and farms; now, therefore, be it
Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring), That we urge the Director of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources to lift the ban on the baiting of deer in Michigan's entire Lower Peninsula without delay and to apply a ban on the baiting of deer to the Kent County CWD surveillance zone, those areas in close proximity to the zone as is deemed reasonable to control the spread of chronic wasting disease in central west Michigan, and those areas in which baiting is currently banned as part of the effort to control the spread of bovine tuberculosis; and be it further
Resolved, That we request the Michigan Natural Resources Commission to conduct public hearings on the baiting of deer and elk in Michigan and to use sound scientific management to issue rules regarding baiting, taking into account the management, economic, and social impact of baiting and its effects on the health of the state's deer herd; and be it further
Resolved, That copies of this resolution be transmitted to the Governor of Michigan, the Director of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, and the Michigan Natural Resources Commission.
[/align]
Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Michigan legislature takes action on baiting ban!

Good. I'm glad to hear that! Not baiting is doing more harm than good. "Whereas, A decreased rate of harvest would result in greater deer density in the wild deer population and an increased rate of motorized vehicle collisions with deer with the potential for the loss of human life"
Old 09-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry Not so true there Hoyt ol' buddy! if you look at other states that have current bait bands they have no problemo's with many accidents. no diff. in then any other state. like I was always told "state alert stay alive"!
If you look at some the of senators' or legislators must of them don't know how to hunt! except in 12 ft. fenced in area where you thousands of dollars to shoot a farm raised bucks.[>:]that's just me brotha! good luck this year!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

I agree Hoytteen, if there is no baiting, there will be less deer killed, there is no question about that, which means higher deer densities and more car deer accidents. I'm sure they will lift the ban, just a matter of how longer and how much they want to hurt the farmers. I dont question that other states without baiting have less car deer accidents, maybe thats because MI has the 2nd highest deer population in the US, so that means most states are going to have less car deer accidents.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a feeling that baiting will be allowed come October. There are just too many hunters in the L.P. that are against the ban. It's the way everyone around there was raised to hunt. Now that all the other deer tested neg. in the encloser, I think the MDNR is going to have to rethink this idea. I am somewhat for baiting, but have no overwhelming opion either way. With no other deer testing positive, I think the best thing to do is have all the deer in the neighboring towns tested come hunting season and then see if the disease made it out of the encloser. If it did, then throw up the red flags. If none of the other deer that live with it in the encloser caught it then I think the chances are slim it made it out.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

So if Michigan has the 2nd highest deer population, why would you have to bait?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, pat! I j8st talked to abuddy thats a dnr officer and a fine is $500 first time and he said next time is look out here comes another hefy fine and also possible wrist bracelets it depends on the violater.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

I am from Michigan and I hope that the baiting ban is lifted. With the economy in the shape it is up here, the ban on bait is going to hurt a lot of the farmers around here. Also, when people bait, the majority of deer they get on their bait piles are does or fawns. What does MI need? DOE MANAGEMENT! Just to put in perspective how bad the buck to doe ratio is, I drove by a field and I saw 17 deer. How many bucks? 1. A spike. The bait is going to bring around more does to take.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

They will never lift the ban this year and that is the best thing ever!! If you guys are really so worried about the lives of all the great people of Michigan then we should just end bow hunting right now and have notags needed just go kill every deer out there or maybe say we should just have our state police snipers in training do it for the state for free and that way the insurance companies would just be estatic!!Get off the high horse learn to hunt with out dumping food on the ground learn how to scout and if that pi$$'s off a bunch of guys that don't want to learn to hunt I say TO BAD.. Don't give me the well the deer wont come on my 5 acre piece of land that my grandpa lets me hunt if I don't bait, Then don't HUNT THERE!!!! Knock on a door where the deer are!!!! It's really easy guys get off a couch and learn about deer and nature you will be amazed of where it might take you and what you can learn!!!! There I feel better!! Walt
Old 09-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find it interesting that those people from Michigan that could bait for years, are hardcore against it. Baiting seems like crack to some people.

Quick Reply: Michigan legislature takes action on baiting ban!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.