Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 12-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

Went out the past 2 evenings. Got dumped on by snow and sleet yesterday evening and seen no deer. Went tonight and seen 5 about 200 yards off in a bean field. Awfully slow around here again. Looks like the season may end the way it came in and has been for most of the year really. Just been a really down year for my local spot. Hopefully next year with the corn crop back things will pick up. I might get in 3 or 4 more hunts before it's over though. Might try and sit most of the day on Sunday.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Late to the game here, but I managed to get out for the ML opened around Columbus. Saw nothing in the spot I got my 9-point during firearms opener and lots of other deer; open fields, allgone nocturnal. I left my long range gun by my seat and decided to walk through the woods as it was snowing. Of course not 5min away from my long range weapon a have a doe come out, 200 yards, had to let her walk as I just had irons on my stalking gun.

3.5 hours in the woods and saw nothing except 2 deer out in the open field when I looked out from a ridgetop. I got to the far and and turned into the open field to head for the truck. I didn't get 100 yards out and those two deer came up out of a ditch, I dropped in the corn stubble and waited. Eventually something made them nervous, and by dumb luck they ended up trotting across the field for the woods and passed within 100 yards of me. I hit the biggest doe from 81 yards with a 300gr Shockwave, knocked her down in her tracks.

The snow made it hairy, my old truck almost got to spend the winter in the field but it turned out ok!
Old 12-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i think i'm done. I went out this evening and barely could get the truck up the lane to go hunt. Covered in ice. Scared 2 deer walking in, impossible to be quiet on the ice covered snow. Ended up seeing 3 more later but they were hundred of yards away. With 25 mph winds and wind chills 15-20 below i don't think i will be out tomorrow. Last place i would want to be is in a woods with those winds blowing ice covered tree limbs everywhere. Just not safe. I suppose i could get out with the bow again but i'm not sure it's even worth it with the deer numbers i have seen this year.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like the weather is going to moderate some later in the week, hopefully it will get rid of some of the ice covered snow. Should make for some good bowhunting.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 PM

I went out today man it was cold shot at 1doe and 1 6pt missed both just the way my first year hunting went but I will be back to try again net year. BURRRRRRRRR[&:]
Old 12-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Got news and a picture on my phone of my dads friend getting a nice 13pt Saturday morning from the same stand site that my cousin got his first bow kill (I posted on this tread pages back). 20yds with his MZ. I will post pics once they get them to me. And based on the voicemail and text msg I got yesterday, it seems like mycousin took down a doe in less than 10 min slipping thru the woods yesterday, but have all the details yet. Im going to try to bowhunt this weekend or next, havent decided yet. If the weather doesnt work out, I will gear up for some coyotes.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

And here another picture of his deer.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

And the doe my cousin took.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Real nice deer. I have already changed my mind, i think i will give it a shot with my bow if this weather ever turns for the better. Looks like more ice on the way for christmas eve though.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Well my season is over and I am eating tag soup. I did not get as many days hunting as I would have liked here at the end of ML season. I guess I shouldn't mind because I graduated from IU this past weekend. I will have more days next year to hunt, but I only graduate from college once. I can't wait to get out there and do some shed hunting this winter. I have already started planning out this spring's food plot planting.

Hopefully we will get some snow here soon and I can get out there and work on patterning their movements. When do you guys start shed hunting? I have never seriously done it, but I would love to get out there and give it a try this year.

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.