Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 AM

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

Went out sunday for an morning hunt and wished that I hand stayed in bed. I live in greenwood and drove to Fairbanks in sulavin co. about 130 milesone way,and sat down at 6:05 left at 11:45 and saw nothing and froze my butt off.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 AM

An group of seven went out tue. and four does were taken big one about 180 but I have got nothing yet this year.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Going out tomorrow with my flintlock. Anything other than a young buck is going down if they give me the chance. During shotgun season I was passing the does, but with only a week and a half left anything is fair game to me. Hopefully we will fill our freezer. Anyone else been out with their muzzleloaders? I hope they are moving around tomorrow. It isn't much fun being cold and not seeing any deer.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was out Saturday in that crap weather and they were moving pretty good. My brother went back Sunday night and killed an 8 pointer after only being in stand for about 20 minutes. Last 2 nights it has slowed down for me. Probably the full moon. I kicked up 3 little doe walking to my stand, thats all i have seen in the last 2 nights. Im off to French Lick Indiana for the weekend for the in laws christmas so i wont be back to hunt until Sunday night or Monday. Saturday looks windy and kinda warm, so maybe i wont miss much. Anyone here ever hunt the Patoka area? My in laws live about 20 minuetes from there and since i have to go down there every December i thought about looking into hunting it. I realize it's public land but it would give me something to do other then sit in that house with 15 kids running around. My father in law actually lives in a 15 acre woods but he wont let me hunt it[:@] He treats the damn deer like pets.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Typical Buck

Bigbuck there were two really big deer taken on the Patoka lake area last year. When I fish up there I see all kinds of deer up in the river. There was also a giant hit by a car last year in French Lick. You should check at the DNRs office on where it is legal to hunt in the park. My friend has a camp at Wild Ridge and has pictures of a true giant not far from his camp, He watched the buck for several nights this past summer. I thought about loading up the pontoon and heading up the river this year but I never got around to it, the land around the river looks untouched.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Went out yesterday for a good portion of the day. I think the weather had them bedded down yesterday because all animal movement was at a minumum. It started off like it was going to be a good day with the sun peaking through the clouds. Then around 9:30 the wind started to come in hard from the NW and then I started to see horizontal snow flakes going past me. The air temperature was not that bad yesterday but that wind just about made me freeze, even with all of my layers on. Around 1:30 I saw a doe down the hill from me, but she was moving pretty quick the other direction.Ihad to leave around 3 andI didn't see anything on my way out. I still have some more days next week.Right now I am going to shoot the firstdeer other than a spike that walks by.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

I left work early last night so I could hunting this morning, on way way home around 3am I saw a nice buck by my house with his right side antlers dangling from his head like he just had his but kicked. I watched him foir several minutes and thought I saw his antler fall off. I will check the area on my way home for it. I went out this morning and saw 6 does. Boy was it cold!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

wife killed a 9 pt last night, said she heard a buck chasin a doe, then this buck walked out. they are still movin, good luck guys..
Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Well sorry this report is late, been busy with work since I've been back due to it being year end basically. Well i went down to the farm with my son back on the 5th. My sister and her husband were down there too (in town from Washington State). I get up Saturday morning and there was snow falling and already had a good covering on the ground and vehicles. So I debated to hunt with a bow or MZ with my brother-in-law. I finally came to the conclusion that I was going to hunt with my bow. Well I finally get dressed and I go to look for my release and I cant find it, well I was starting to get warm (wearing a theraputic heat pad on my lower back for warmth) and I said forget it, I will just go with the MZ. I found my release later in the day. Anyways, I finally get situated and can not find keys to the vehicle I was going to take (I dont drive my jeep out to the woods), finally I find the keys and I head on out. I finally make it out to my area and get set up at 8 am on the dot. I hate being late but oh well. Im facing to the north which was forcing me to face downwind. The wind was blowing hard and snow was covering me fast. The snow was coming down so fast, as I climbed my tree, my pack and MZ on the ground, I climbed maybe 15 ft and they were covered in snow. I sat there until 10:15 and the snow had let up, but still coming down, seen nothing, was thinking about slipping thru the woods and seeing what I could spot. I told myself at 10:30 if I dont see anything, Im going to get down and slip. at 10:20 I spot movement infront of me, I see its two does. I look as I think they are going to head east to the cut corn but they never appear. So I glass with my scope and finally spot them heading south, right towards me. Then I spot a third deer behind them, another doe. I glass as they make their way towards me and I notice the lead doe is the biggest and I said I could take her. I get set up thinking shes going to come off my leftfor an easy shot but she turns and comes right at me, at 12 yds I thought to myself, my son is here and I want him to experience this, so just as shes going to step onto the trail, I click the safety off and she hears it. She starts to back away looking right at me and I drop the hammer on her, aiming to the left of the brisket while shes quartering towards me (a shot I've never taken and dont like to take)but it was close (12 yds) and I felt confident. She bolts and runs back where she came from and then jumped onto the east perimeter trail that I walked in on and lost sight of her. So I get down and go to were she was standing and there is no blood, just hoof prints and what appeared to be a spot where a bullet entered the ground. So I look about 15 yds into the brush where she ran and still nothing. So Im now thinking I missed and getting upset. I reload and gather my stuff up. I told myself I was going to walk to where I saw her get on the east perimeter trail and if I find no blood, I was going to put my stuff up and go look deeper in the brush. I get to where she jumped onto the trail and there's blood. I follow it up the trail and she jumped back into the brush and finally expired about 30 yds from the Suzuki I was driving. I went back in and brought my son out to pose with me for pictures and finally get to experience all this. He seemed to like it. Still new to him but at the age of 9 he has plenty of more opportunities to get a taste of what hunting is about. I butchered her myself (first time I've done that) and its not hard really. She had alot of fat on her, up to almost 3 inches in some spots! Once my dad emails me the pictures I will post them up. Sorry for the long post. But wanted to share my sons first experience with hunting. And I finally got to kill a deer while it was snowing, just cool to me.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:40 PM

thanks mike that was great!

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.