Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 11-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

The Outdoorsman------- the two hanging were taken around Starlight, Indiana and the smaller one with my son was taken in Ramsey, Indiana,
Old 11-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

I have seen several good to great bucks this year in southern, Indiana. While my overall numbers are down slightly from last year, the quality is up as far as the bucks go. I think that people blame the wind and weather for not seeing many deer. From what I have learned from DR. DEER they still have to move every 3-4 hours to fill their stomachs. When it is windy they seem to prefer low lying areas out of the wind. You can't killem from the couch!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

The seven pointer I killed last sat. with my seven year old son came in to fight my decoy.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

I went out today and had the best/worst day in the woods I have ever had. Since I didn't get off of work until 10:30 last night I just couldn't get out of bed really early this morning. I got into the woods around 7:30. On my way to my stand I jumped a grand total of 6 freaking deer. Every corner I went around there was a doe bedded down.[:@] I was trying to take the quitest route to my stand. I felt like just sitting down right where I was instead of making my way to my stand. When I get to my stand I had two more does jumpand circle around me.

I get up in my standand I had a strong cold westerly wind right in my face. My face hurts like heck right now. I don't see anything until 12:15 a spike walks to within 10 yards of me and scratches his ear with his hind foot and then he walks off. Then around 1:30 when I am in the middle of eating my lunch I notice a doe browsing through the woods behind me. I quickly put my lunch up and give her a few calls. She comes in and tried to figure out where the sound was coming from. She gets about 10 yards from my stand and I almost shot her but I thought I heard a deer behind her. There wasn't. Then about 5:30 two does trot through and off down the hill.

Lots of deer but no big ones. I don't think I will be able to get out for anymore shotgun season. I guess I will just have to leave it for muzzleloader season. Sorry for the long post, but I had one heck of a day.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

congrats turkeystalker, been a long time since i seen you on here.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Trophy- I have been so busy and had alot of bad things going on at home with my fiance', Finally got all of it in order and got rid of her! You know I had litterally screwed myself over the past two years of deer hunting. I saw some really great deer and passed on quit a few good deer in hopes of a giant, which I actually missed during shotgun season! It was a blessing that my oldest son asked me if he could go hunting. Now mind you that he is seven and I didn't actually expect to see anything but does. But anything to get him intersted would be fine by all means. He was getting antsy around 4:30 so I told him to pick up the rattle bag and grunt while rattling. Sure enough 15 minutes after I heard a buck stomping through the woods. He actually started to walk away from us and I told London to pick up the bleat can and bleat at hime two times. That did the trick, he came back and saw our decoy and was really ticked off. Head down and ears pinned back, crab walking in. He was three yards from the decoy and about 25 from the blind in a swail in the field, Boom the Omega dropped him in his tracks! My boy said' " daddy did we smoke him?" I said' " we smoked him baby!" This will be one of the best memories hunting ever. We are going to go back out Thanksgiving, morning with his Papaw and see if he can bring his luck out again.
I can't wait to get him and his 2 year old brother out during turkey season! My youngest will not watch cartoons or tv of any sorts unless it is hunting shows! Thanks guys
Old 11-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

Turkeyhunter---I hunt in Switzerland Co inbetween Moorefield and Pleasant. We have land there that we've had for quite some time. It produced my dads 9 pt in the above post. Cant wait to get back down there the first weekend of December.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went out this afternoon up along the Marshall/Kosciusko county line. Shot a nice big doe at about 4:45. There was a 6 pointer following behind her, not chasing, just making sure she wouldnt get away. I elected to take the doe rather then the small buck. I also had seen a spike earlier after 3 does.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TurkeyStalker

Trophy- I have been so busy and had alot of bad things going on at home with my fiance', Finally got all of it in order and got rid of her! You know I had litterally screwed myself over the past two years of deer hunting. I saw some really great deer and passed on quit a few good deer in hopes of a giant, which I actually missed during shotgun season! It was a blessing that my oldest son asked me if he could go hunting. Now mind you that he is seven and I didn't actually expect to see anything but does. But anything to get him intersted would be fine by all means. He was getting antsy around 4:30 so I told him to pick up the rattle bag and grunt while rattling. Sure enough 15 minutes after I heard a buck stomping through the woods. He actually started to walk away from us and I told London to pick up the bleat can and bleat at hime two times. That did the trick, he came back and saw our decoy and was really ticked off. Head down and ears pinned back, crab walking in. He was three yards from the decoy and about 25 from the blind in a swail in the field, Boom the Omega dropped him in his tracks! My boy said' " daddy did we smoke him?" I said' " we smoked him baby!" This will be one of the best memories hunting ever. We are going to go back out Thanksgiving, morning with his Papaw and see if he can bring his luck out again.
I can't wait to get him and his 2 year old brother out during turkey season! My youngest will not watch cartoons or tv of any sorts unless it is hunting shows! Thanks guys

That's an awesomestory!

I can't wait for my son to get out there with me. He's only a year and a half...so it'll be a while yet.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

turkeystalker, thats an awsome story, sounds like your boy is hooked!!
outdoorsman i know that area pretty well, i live about 8-10 miles from there, ever need a huntin partner look me up!

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.