Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 11-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Spike

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

Why am I not seeing any deer at all? I am new and put my stands up kinda late along some well traveled trails. This is my first year deer hunting and I just wanted some tips.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got back from hunting Kosioscko(sp) County. Some great property up there. About 9 of us did a deer drive at 1:30 in the afternoon. I sat down on the ground on the edge of a small woodlot while a few other guys walked the riverbottom down below. Had 9 deer run right to me, one was an 8 point buck. Did not realize it was a buck until he was right to me, had a small rack. Anyways, 2 of the guys on the bottom got 2 huge doe. Ended up seeing about 40 deer total this afternoon, but only the 1 buck. I normally don't do a deer drive but i guess the land owners do it on this place pretty often so i at least tried it out, plus they were trying hard to get this guy from Michigan a deer. He came down just to deer hunt the weekend. I still would rather just sit in a stand all day though. Hopefully i am invited back, it was some of the best deer land i have ever stepped foot on.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:55 AM
Spike

Well, I went out this weekend and had beautiful weather. Nice frost and no wind! My father and I went out behind his houseSAturday and seen a total of 10 deer, 1 little spike 4 pt and 9 does. My dad took a nice sized doe. Sunday I didnt see much but more does. But it was a great weekend.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a little late to the party, but here is a photo of my buck this year off a game cam 5 days before I took him opening morning. We did not download this picture until several days after he was in the freezer:

Opening morning was miserable, I was open and exposed in a chair like I normally am. I let a forkhorn go early, and passed on a couple does. Then this guy and a slightly bigger buck came by chasing some does into the next ditch over but never came within 400 yds. After about 30min I was still trying to decide how I could get on them when some bedded does got up and led them off the property.

I was wet and freezing so I packed up and decided to walk around the perimeter of the field (about a 1-hour trip) slowly to get downwind of that area as I knew there were more deer bedded in that ditch. I just about made it when a medium-sized buck walked out and busted me. I dropped down and got the muzzeloader on the bipod but could not reach my rangefinder without spooking him. Of course I guessed short and shot under him (he was at 275 yds and I shot for 200-225). He and about 10 does busted out and were gone.

I headed down the ditch to verify I missed then continued down it toward my truck, when here comes this buck back from chasing those does away. I got ready and got the rangefinder out FIRST this time, ranged the ditch he had to cross at 225. He got to it and was very cautious, spend about 5min scoping the field before he came across. Once he did he wanted to move fast, I practically had to yell a bleat to get him to stop at about 200 yds. The shot leveled him in his tracks, a nice 9-pt.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Can see the pic of your deer. [:@] stupid red X's.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Well I havent been back out since opening weekend, which as most know, sucked due to the weather. But good news is that my dad killed a nice 9pt on friday the 21st with his .44 cal lever action rifle. Got him at 80 yds at 3:45 pm. Im getting back out there the first weekend in Dec, hopefully the weather is not as bad and I can still bow hunt.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Spike

sunday evening someone had hounds and was coon hunting at night in the small woods i hunt, so went out to see if they had permission. I guess my neighbor who owns it gave them permission. I got to talking to them and one of them lives right down the road from me and he had been hunting around here for more than 20 years. He had already gotten a very nice buck earlier this season, it was probabaly boone and crockett(saw it on his cell). Even though my deer huntin in that area is messed up now, he said i can start coming with them and they're gonna pick me up for thanksgiving break to get some coons in there. He really wants to get me into coon huntin, and said he might even buy me a hound to get started so i'm kinda excited and angered, but there's plenty of other places to deer hunt
Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went out Sunday morning. Had 4 does haulin it across the woods about 9 am. They came down off a ridge off the neighbors land and crossed over onto the property i hunt. They were spooked and i was pretty sure it was by one of the morons who shot 9 times to kill a year and half old buck about 6 days prior. When i got done hunting i drove around the backside to check and sure enough, they were there getting into there truck to leave. It's no wonder my deer sightings are so down this year when there is 4-5 people hunting an area about the size of maybe 30 acres.

This Wednesday i am going to back to Kosciusko county to hunt the 800 acres. Hoping that we will be hunting from stands this time around though. Plan on hunting from maybe noon or so until dark.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

a couple of southern Indiana bucks
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/mattm_/Hunting%2008/?action=view&current=Picture105.jpg
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/mattm_/Hunting%2008/?action=view&current=Picture107.jpg
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/mattm_/Hunting%2008/?action=view&current=Picture094.jpg
Second picture was the one I killed Saturday with my 7 year in the blind with me.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

If you dont mind me asking TurkeyStalker, where in southern Indiana were they taken at? Very nice bucks!

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.