Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 PM

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

I found two spots in a big bottom that is a few hundred yards from picked ag fields on both sides. One spot is very thick with many fresh rubs on 8" plus cedar trees so fresh the bark is rubbed off on top of the newly fallen leaves. This spot overlooks a thick and high grassy area in the bottom with trails coming in from every direction and the only way to see into it is from a tree. The other spot is about two hundred yards away down the bottom and is wide open big oaks where my son and I saw a six pointer chasing a doe tonight on our way out from scouting. The thick area is great with all the sign and cover once everyone starts shooting, but the does my feed into the oaks on their way from the fields and bring in mister big. Any suggestions.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

I would try to set up inbetween both areas and position yourself so you can see to both areas too. I would favor the thicker area though with the sign, just dont go in ontop of it though.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try posting an aerial pic of the area...that way we could be more help.

I went out this morning with my brother in-law. He had a really tall 7pt walk in front of him...but he just couldn't shoot it. The entire way home he wished he had....but oh well. I've seen the deer too...he's a very massive basket rack. One of his brow tines is broken off...or else he would be an 8pt. Probably a 120" or so.

I had a wounded spike run up to my tree around 715am. Just as he did my BIL started hitting his rattle bag a couple hundred yards in front of me. The spike freaked and trotted off.

Around 8am, a doe walked in on me. I double lunged her @ 20 yards. She took off running up this big hill in a picked corn field...where she expired 50 yards from where she got hit. Right behind her was another really nice doe too. Anywho, dragging a deer DOWN a hill is SOOO much easier than acrossed flat land. It was a nice retrieve to say the least. She's small...a little over 100#. I donated her...b/c I got tons of meat from the buck I shot the other week. I may take another doe or two...b/c they're running wild up there.

BTW, I used the "Butt-Out" tool for the first time this morning on this doe. I've heard lots of negative reports on it, including from my father in-law. But I must say that was the easiest (by FAR!!!) way that I've ever gotten the anus out. Push in, twist, pull out. That simple.

Pics:

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp270/studpat/doe08e.jpg

The dog, me, my son, and the deer:

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp270/studpat/doe8a.jpg

My son gets the biggest kick out of seeing these deer up close. My wife was watching her best friend's 2 kids.....they wouldn't even get close to it.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp270/studpat/doe08b.jpg
Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the doe Pat. I was out all afternoon and this evening, seen nothin. Then when i got to my truck, there were 3 does out in the cut bean field. Might go one more time before gun opens up. Been slow so far for me. Not seeing as many deer and just 2 bucks. Still have found no rubs or scrapes either. Hope it gets better for firearms.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks.

These past few years for me have been amazing. Some nice deer as well as a few great fish. Someone's look out after me......
Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Spike

Just curious Pat you said you donated your doe you shot. Where do you donate a deer? My father andI hunt and I thought about donating a deer since I usually get my fair share of meat, but didnt know you could. I think it would be a great jester considering the time we are in. Where can you donate your deer? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Hey jorswift I can't speak for Pat but I plan on donating some deer at a local butcher who participates in Farmers and Hunters Feed the Hungry. If you want to find a butcher near you here is the link the the website where you can see all the butchers who participate.http://www.fhfh.org/Home.aspI think this is a great program. With the economy the way it is right now people are going to need the help. My dad and I plan to thin our doe herd out a little this year and donate a couple of does.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check the link that D Rock posted.

I know of 2 places close to where I hunt. I took this one to the place that has a raffle for an Omega muzzleloader for anyone who donates a deer. I don't want to tell you guys where it is b/c I want the gun. lol
Old 11-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Spike

Thanks guys, hopefully i can help out this year
Old 11-12-2008, 03:26 PM

I hope this works pat. This is close up square is tick spot and triangle is open oaks

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.