Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 09-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

Anyone have their stands up yet? Some friends and I are putting ours up Friday afternoon if the weather holds out.

In years past, we've bought Gorillahang-on's...with the larger platformthat havearm and foot rests...which usually run around $135-ish. This year, Itook a few with just the large platform, and welded on some arm/foot rests. Saved me roughly $50 per stand compared to the newer Gorilla's. I used a Sawzallto cutan old ladder stand section for the arm rests...worked great!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, anyone usea rifle during the Firearm Season? I only use bow and a muzzleloader (during Firearm and Muzzleloader), but thought about buying one of those cowboy guns. Any thoughts...or should I stick to the smoke pole?
Old 09-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Stick to the smokepole in my opinion, you will be able to reach out farther. Everyone I have talked to has been seeing alot of big bucks this year, I am ready to hunt.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:42 PM

My stands have been up for 2 weeks now just waiting for Oct. 1 can't wait i'm going nuts

Yep stick to the smokepole for sure!

Ron
Old 09-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea my stand have been up for about a month and a half. I live in SW Ohio but spend most of my free time on our small farm in SE Indiana (OHio COunty)
Old 09-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Spike

Hey guys ! I'm in Newton Co. I don't usually get the stand up til the later part of this month, then hunt about mid Oct. Basically, right next to a river = hate the mosquitoes, plus I like the cooler weather. Also, this year,will be in Newfoundland hunting moose Oct 11- 19. If I don't get a chance= GOOD LUCK to all ya!! Be careful & Safe!!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put out a couple trail camera's on tuesday or so, went and checked them. On one, it shows the farmer's son cutting some tree's and loading his truck up with wood. The other camera has a bunch of does and fawns, a 6pt, 4pt, 1 decent 8pt, and 1 mystery buck since his head was down in some weeds. I'll try to load the pics on the PC. If that fails, I'll just snap a pic of the TV with the digital camera.

Got 3 stands put up today in the rain. Got a few more to finish...but I'm pumped!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Spike

Heading up to our property tomorrow to check the trail cam, put it out last sunday along with a new box stand. We mostly gun hunt but I am going to take my bow out a few times for nothing more then to get some time in the tree.

Pat I bought a .44 rifle last year, bolt action Ruger model 77. Nice gun and much better then the old 12 gauge, but if you already have a muzzleloader then I would just stick with it. Only advantage with the ruger is the extra shots, which you really dont need.

I'll post some pics from the trail cam when I get them.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Typical Buck

Great to see the thread up again...thanks Pat.

To introduce myself....I'm a hardcore bowhunter who hunts Steuben, DeKalb, Noble, as well as Wabash and Huntington some....I'm am part of an organization called Hunters helping hunters which we take disable hunter out on several deer hunts...the biggest two are opening weekend of gun and second weekend of muzzy....I'm big into taping hunts and hope this season is another great one.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:31 AM

Hey i am from the Columbus area North Vernon to be exact. I hunt all of Jennings county and 50 acres of Switzerland county. Me and my friend went back in a field that i hunt the other night and he called in two does with the fawn distress call with his mouth it was really cool. Then we look across the field and see a brute. We sneak around him and look over a ridge and see four bucks 2 were shooters for sure the other two were smaller. I have yet to see any rubs or hard antlers yet. I am only fifteen so i don't get to hunt Swiss co much but i hunt across the road from my house as much as possible. October 1 here we come!

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.