HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   disadvantages/advantages of groundblinds (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/260915-disadvantages-advantages-groundblinds.html)

SoIllspotnstalk 09-01-2008 09:45 PM

disadvantages/advantages of groundblinds

some disrectful S.O.B. stole my climber recently and i am deciding what i should do. I see alot of guys hunting out of groundblinds on t.v. I am a avid hunter with alot of experience, on and off the ground, but i would like to hear other peoples opinions. i am leaning towards the double bull. any suggestions, comments?

Buck Hunter 1 09-02-2008 05:13 AM

RE: disadvantages/advantages of groundblinds

I have one of those chair blinds that is very portable, I have hunted in some heavy rains and stayed dry. You can't carry alot of crap w/ you but I am a person who gors deep in the woods. I am also a 6'4" so comfort is important. With this rig I can scout, leave it buried in the brush and return next day,, If I don't like the set, I can move real easy. Good luck, if your mobile 11 pounds, if your put it up and leave it the DB makes sense.

kevin1 09-02-2008 05:40 AM

I've gun hunted from pop-ups for years, they can be a valuable aid for ground hunting when used correctly. The DB brand is vastly overpriced IMO, for what one costs you can buy a selection of lower cost blinds to blend into a wider variety of terrains.Also consider using natural blinds such as logs, brush, etc. They're free and they work, and unlike pop-ups they're something the deer have already seen and aren't spooked by.

fastetti 09-02-2008 09:26 AM

I hunt a lot out of ground box blinds. I don't mind them on Windy, cold days, but would much rather be outside on the nicer ones. Built a few blinds that consist of a few pieces of plywoods next to a few large diameter trees. I love them on nice day. I put a comfortable office chair in them that I get used at big office sales, nothing better. I have the same problem as Buck Hunter, Im 6'7" and there are few groundblinds that I can get in and out of quitely and sit in comfortable so I'd rather be outside if the weather permits.

SoIllspotnstalk 09-02-2008 11:22 AM

I have a three permanents, so this would be my traveling stand, or like fasetti said, for those cold windy days its nice to have a little shelter, also having a climber on my back walking up and down southern illinois hills can wear you out quick. i could agree that the DB is overpriced, but i like the camo pattern, since im a broke college student, i might break down and get the Primos Vision. Anyone no much about the vision, like i said im use to my summit climber but, hows the shoot thru mess work, anyone know if it affects your arrows flight/accuracy?

yodeldog3 09-02-2008 08:19 PM

works fine, just try to hit the mesh straght on. Try a target shot, you'll see. Killed a doe last year.

joebow 09-04-2008 10:40 AM

try the ameristep penthouse blind it is large and inexpensive about $140
it gets dark earlyer inside one of those covered gruond blinds

il coyote 09-04-2008 10:46 AM

I've never used them, but am seriously considering getting one. I would hunt from stands the huge majority of the time, but on the occasion that a stand wont work...

Probably a nice thing to keep handy.

SoIllspotnstalk 09-04-2008 12:17 PM

yeah i was thinking about that the other day joebow, i think i would be fine i got the truglo site with the lite on it. i checked out the ameristep, good deal considering the price, appreciate it

cherokee75 09-04-2008 05:00 PM

I have one of the Hunters' View Wig Wam pop-up blinds with the four sided shooting. It sets up in a hurry and was not expensive. The zippers are noisy in the wind if you do not secure them somehow. Also, the fabric casts a glare. It is not very condusive to bow hunting for someone over six foot but it will house up to two people for gun hunting. I have yet to shoot anything out of it.I usually use surrounding brush, grass etc. to help blend it in also.