Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Michigan Baiting & Special anterless >

Michigan Baiting & Special anterless

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Michigan Baiting & Special anterless

Old 09-16-2008, 05:18 PM

Default RE: Michigan Baiting & Special anterless

I think baiting will remain the same, for one must people that bait by the truck load are breaking the law anyway.
so way would they stop baiting becouse it is banned. Second reason is how are the Dnr going to find all these bait
piles anyways. Unless people report them which they wont. I do think poaching will go up if people stop baiting, becouse must weekend worriers dont know how to hunt anyways. But all in all the DNR will say numbers are great
very high but anyone you and I talk to wont see anything???go figure.. Please for the love of all that is Holy make
some law changes like all the other great midwest states and make Michigan a great deer hunting state!!!!!!

wow got going on a rant there...sorry
deer numbers will stay the same.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cjohnson, where are you at in West Michigan?

I live north of GR about 20 minutes.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Spike

I agree if they bait way more then they are supposed to they are gonna still bait, heck they have not been caught yet why stop now . The only thing that may help is the where they are gonna get the food.If there is a baitting ban then who is gonna sell deer food? so maybe that will help.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Umm.... everyone is still selling deer feed. They just can't call it that now. It is still at the gas stations, still at the local farms, you just have to look to find it. Signs won't point you in the direction any longer.

Here is something I thought was funny. I was on the corner of two roads picking up apples that had dropped from a wild apple tree yesterday. This middle aged man stopped (and of course he thinks he has precendence over me because I am an 18 year old), and says "You know there is no more baiting allowed right?" And I stopped for a minute, bit my tounge, and said "So you know what these apples are for, where I am hunting, and what I am doing with them? No, you are just assuming."

People think they know everything, the guy probably hunts like twice a year.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:46 AM

hunters need to report violations to local dnr officers or the rap hotline. we have always had sucess with them following up. they will not find violations unless you help. dont be afraid to stand up for hunting, dont allow people to violate it ruins your hunting when they do
Old 09-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Deer harvest will be down this year. I have heard first hand of people getting refunds on their licenses because they cant bait. I know to some people this sounds crazy, but a lot people were brought up to hunt like this, nobody has showed them how to hunt trail intersections, or in between natural feeding areas where the deer bed down. Is this really their fault? I guess we could debate this for years, but the fact is this ban will NOT help anything. I belive the state is completely at fault this CWD incident. It is a naturally occuring disease, and eventually we will have an outbreak, but when it happens at a farm that is regulated by the state.........
I do hope this is an isolated incident, and that we never have to endure a widespread outbreak of this disease, or any other disease for that matter.If people dont want to hunt because the cant bait, that their choice, it doesnt affect me, and I certainly wont lose any sleep over it. I will be out in the woods every chance I get!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:41 AM

i do beilive this is an overreaction to an isolated problem. the deer was in captivity on a ranch.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Justgo hunt. If you dn't know how to shoot deerany other way than baiting I think you should quit as that is just aiming. Hell by a cow off a farmer and put it out in the field \, probably cheaper if you wanyt to shoot off a bait pile.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:32 PM

Imo, I think the kill rates will be down. Where I hunt, myself and neighbors surrounding just kill deer by baiting. But hopefully I am wrong. But, who knows. Good luck to everyone this season