Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Michigan Baiting & Special anterless >

Michigan Baiting & Special anterless

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Michigan Baiting & Special anterless

Old 08-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Michigan Baiting & Special anterless

Interesting year in Michigan coming up. Obviously with the baiting ban in effect, it will force people to change their tactics. There is also the special anterless firearm season in Lower Michigan September 18 -22. I usually do not start taking down does until late season muzzleloader, but I am running low on meat.

Question: Do you think with the baiting ban and the special anterless season, the kill count for the entire state will be up or down? Why?

IMHO: I think the kill will be about the same. The lack of baiting will get the deer up and moving more as the cannot just wait until darkand then go eat their fill on a bait pile. They will have to forage a couple times during daylight hours. Those counties with higher numbers of deer should see more. I would be surprised if the early anterless deer season has much of an effect on the herd numbers as most hunters are not aware this is going on, but should be enough to stabilize the kill numbers.

The downside: With the lack of baiting and deer moving more, I think there will be more car deer accidents. I also think you will see more reports of trespassingas people cannot lure deer onto small properties with large bait piles.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Michigan Baiting & Special anterless

moved to correct area.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

also keep in mind that firearm season is 3 weekends this year instead of 2, so i think a lot more deer will be taken during firearm season, that being said i think the kill will be up
Old 09-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Spike

I expect the kills will be down , and tickets for baiting will be up !!!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

poaching will also might be up for those who can not hunt.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:27 PM

I think this is STUPID and quite frankly makes me mad. I hunt in a place the parcels are smaller in size anywhere from 5 to 20 acres. It's nice at the start of bow season to actually see deer that are relaxed in their natural state. I just know once the guns start blazing it will turn the deer nocturnal or at least the smart ones. Hopefully the laps in time between the 22nd and the first of October will chill them out.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Early doe season in September is very foolish IMO. Very foolish.

On another note, I think the kill will be about the same. Maybe people will actually have to take a doe instead of shooting a small buck. Who knows? The UP may have a low year, due to a very hard winter last year.

And as for Michigan baiting, read my other posts on the other thread...

Good luck to all, don't shoot a spotted fawn out there this weekend [:'(]
Old 09-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Spike

Guess It must not effect me or I was asleep while looking. where in the LP is the "early" antlerless season ?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

south of the shotgun line
Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 AM

i dont know the reasoning for an early doe season unless the extended late seasons arent getting enough hunters, if there is much pressure it will make bow season a little tough. it wont affect my area up north, but i know guys heading down state to hunt.

probably the same amount of deer will be shot this year with or without bait people may have to work a little harder.

Quick Reply: Michigan Baiting & Special anterless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.