Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Hounds running deer >

Hounds running deer

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Hounds running deer

Old 08-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hounds running deer

There's discussion about hounds on the South section http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2972809
What would you Midwest hunters think of hounds running deer on your properties and houndsmen coming on your lands anytime day/night to round up their packs during archery season or any other time of the year?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hounds running deer

Moot point because those activities are illegal in most, if not all of the midwest. Not necessarily the same case in other areas. In the case of Virginia, that you are harping on here, some of those activities may already be illegal, its just that the authorities won't enforce the laws. That's the problem. Different areasof the country have different laws and traditions.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the still hunters who sneak on to land to poach and who ruin trees by nailing their stands to trees or abandoning them and letting them grow into the trees. But the thought of some dogs running a big buck right at me while i am sitting there in my stand has some appeal to it[8D]That's what happens sometimes when the coyote hounds come thru my part of southeastern Illinois.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

LCC, are you afraid that someone has a opinion different than you? Illegal or not, someone can still have a opinion abouthounds, baiting, roadhunters, spotlighting......

I know your a expert on VA's laws concerning running hound, so I will not try to point out all things that are incorrect in your post. Go ahead and slant it how ever you want.

From your post it looks like VA isn't the only state with unethical hunters, in VA they call them "Fox" hounds when they run out of season
Old 08-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

To the contrary, I have no doubt that many midwesterners view things much differently then me and understand why. There is no tradition of deer hound hunting up here and local conditions in terms of landholdings would make it very difficult for it to have developed here. Its something totally foreign. So, i fully expect to get taken to task by folks here, especially deer hunters, based on their experiences and understanding of the situation. However, what I do find highly ironic is that the support from your own fellow Virginia hunters is so lukewarm in this matter that you have to go elsewhere to get some love. Well, you're gonna get it here, but unless some of these fellas are registered to vote in Virginia, it won't do you much good.[&:]
Old 08-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

I grew up hunting with hounds in the swamps of S. georgia, stuff so thick and nasty you have to crawl to get through it. A great place for dog deer hunting. The midwest is very different terrain and as it should be, very different hunting.

In days past, there was never an issue for dog hunters going on other landowners property to retrieve dogs after a hunt. Landowners, even if they weren't dog hunters, worked together with one another. In this day of me,me,me and smaller tracts of land, it's made dog hunting a dying tradition. But I tell you what, so of my best memories of deer hunting are on the dog club with my Dad, brother, and uncle. It created my love for hunting and I will never forget it.

I just thought you might like a perspective from one who actually has been a part of it! Thanks for indulging me!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pass some popcorn. Whenever the subject of dogs running deer comes up it always gets good. Especially when the SSS comes into it.

And put some REAL butter on the popcorn would ya? I don't like that "buttery topping" stuff. Just yellow Crisco if ya ask me.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would give up deer hunting if dogs were running all over IL but I know IL and the South are WAY different types of ground.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input. Contrary to what others say, VA isn't looking to end hunting with hounds. They are doing a study on hunting with hounds to identify the problems and what can be done to correct them. Most of the problems center around deer being run with houndsand the "right to retrieve" law.

Your going to have hunters that say the only way you can kill a deer is with hounds and I understand that. That's the only way they have ever hunted, but other hunters and landowners have had enough with the running on posted lands and out of season.

F1 didn't GA make some changes to the regs concerning running hounds, but they didn't ban it?

Matt what's the SSS? Your right in that it's a big drama, to make thing worse, the VHDA(VA Hunting Dog Alliance) stood arm in arm with PETA and HSUS to block lifting the ban on Sunday hunting in VA last Jan.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Darn, not a whole lot of love here either.

Actually folks, the animal rights folks have their hand in this as well, but apparently some folks like Rick (who probably has good intentions) like the taste of the Kool Aid. See the information I posted in the Sporting Dogs section.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think there's any difference between a guy running his dogs across you posted land, or the same guy walking it with a gun. And as far as the PETA thing goes,, anybody standing arm to arm with them can't call themselves sportsmen of any kind. The erra of running the dogs may very well be a thing of the past, just like hangings,spanking your kids, and penny bubblegum.

Quick Reply: Hounds running deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.