Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Need Chicago area land for antlerless hunt >

Need Chicago area land for antlerless hunt

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Need Chicago area land for antlerless hunt

Old 07-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default Need Chicago area land for antlerless hunt

I am a newresident of the Chicagoland area needing a private land place for my stepson to hunt a deer for the gun season. Am hoping to find someone willing to let him on their land just to take a doe, as we failed to draw permits in this year's lottery.

He is 20 y/o,has never hunted before, and never even had a dad before to teach him. I am a serious hunter with 20 years experience, very responsible. Good teacher. All my priorIllinois hunting has been on public land, 90% archery. Am signing him up for hunter's ed, and taking him to a range this weekend to learn shooting.

We will put in for less desireable public land permits in the 2nd lottery, butit looks like they are all 2nd season. I am not all too familiar with the way Illinois does these gun lotteries, so I don't know our chances of drawing somethingin this 2nd lottery. I know county-wide permits are easily had if he hasa private land to hunt.

I owned land in Porter County, Indiana and let kids on there late season if they asked politely. Gave up after the abuses I expereienced. I know the big fees being paid for buck hunts, but have no idea if they charge for antlerless.

This plan may get busted anyway as he is going into the Marines. Just waiting on his green card, which may extend into 2009. We live in Kane County. Thanks.

Any advice on public land options would also be appreciated. Maybe I am missing something, but it looks like everything is on draws here.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Chicago area land for antlerless hunt

Zim, I believe you have hunted Midewin before. What are the regulations there? I know they allow for shotgun and muzzleloader just not sure the details. I believe that passes become available this year on Monday, September 1st!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

PM sent
Old 07-12-2008, 03:39 AM
Spike

PM sent
Old 07-16-2008, 10:07 PM

Zim I believe there is an over the counter antlerless hunt at Goose Lake Prarie/Heideke Lake area on state ground. If that does not work you can contact me via the information on my website www.agrirecland.com. I am a farm and recreational land broker and have some clients that I may be able to put you in contact with that would allow a second season or late season antlerless hunt.
Tom
Old 07-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Goose lake would be close for us. I saw the leftover tags list and saw they have a few on there as well.

Don K informed me my step-son actually does not need his green card or FOID to hunt this year due to a new one time apprentice hunter deal.I gave him the hunter's ed schedule at Gander Mountain so he will get his class in there this summer.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not trying to start a fight here, but it is kind of interesting to note that you once owned private land and decided to close it off to young hunters because of abuses.But now you are asking other private landholders to openup their's to your kid. Not really knocking you, just noting some irony here.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Bartender

What type of abuses?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

The reason I mentioned that is because I am considerate and certainly know what landowner's don't want.

As to the abuses? Haha.

How much time do you have?

You probably wouldn't believe the stores I could tell.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

We've got time. Do tell?

Quick Reply: Need Chicago area land for antlerless hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.